[Magic Addition] Life Evocation: Makeshift Conjuration

ClassyDryad

Makeshift Conjuration - Noncombative / Enchantable

A simple abstraction upon the principles of disjointed conjuration, makeshift conjuration allows magi of any level of experience to conjure the base materials of organic life. Blood, flesh, wood, all is easily drawn out from the void and into whatever form the mage can comprehend.

Spoiler

Conjurationists are able to call forth raw or complex articles of organic material they have studied woven into unique forms, such as a branched formed into a staff, a giant floating eye, a drizzle of rain-like blood, or even more complex shapes based off the raw materials which the mage has studied. Unlike disjointed conjuration these creations are not able to be flung or used combatively in any way, bearing much weaker stability and usually either floating slowly at the mage's whim or remaining set statically against a surface.

Tier Progression

[Tier 1] - Up to one cubic meter of organic material

[Tier 2] - Up to five cubic meters of organic material

[Tier 3] - Up to ten cubic meters of organic material

[Tier 4] - Up to fifteen cubic meters of organic material

[Tier 5] - Up to twenty cubic meters of organic material

Redlines

- Follows general conjuration redlines

- Cubic meters are equivalent to Minecraft blocks for the purpose of this spell. For instance, cast at tier 2 the spell could produce enough organic material to fit within five blocks on the mechanical world.

- The maximum material which can be assumed assumes something of a solid material (such solid bone or blood.) The more complex an object gets, the less of it can be conjured. For example, twenty cubic meters of blood is as difficult as two bear corpses.

- Requires at least one emote for connection and one emote for casting. More emotes would be required when pushing to the extent of one's abilities, though this is at player discretion.

- Conjured materials are not necessarily in their original shape, for instance a chair of solid bone could be conjured so long as the mage understands bone to a sufficient degree.

- Conjuring something as complex as an organ requires the mage to have dissected an example of that organ.

- Conjured organic material is not "alive", but it can show simple facsimiles of life. For instance, one could make a twitching eye, beating heart, or writhing limb, but one could not conjure a grasping limb, a head able to form complex sounds, or any such thing.

- Organic material is generic to whatever species it was conjured from. No conjuring specific people's heads.

- Both faunal and floral characteristics can be conjured, though they cannot be mixed together until the conjurationist reaches tier 4.

- Unique aspects of multiple organism cannot be combined until the conjurationist reaches tier 4. For instance, conjuring a floating goat's head with a lion's mane would not be possible until then. Unlike other applications of chimeric conjuration this has no effect on emote counts.

- At tier 5, mages can use conjured organic material to creature conjured organs at scales that do not exist, such as using their knowledge of eyes to create an eye much larger than any existent creature's. These expanded creations cannot be conjured or chimerically added to other spells.

- Cannot be used destructively, and will vanish should another work against them.

- Upon entering combat, makeshift conjurations will vanish back into the void.

- Floral artifacts can be rooted on surfaces which normally wouldn't host them, such as solid metal or the mage's body. However, they will generally not have a very strong grasp on such surfaces.

- Full bodies of animals can be conjured through this spell, though the cannot move. They either appear dead, comatose, writhing, or some other simple state of existence.

- The spell possesses a range as far as the mage's line of sight.

- Cannot cause harm in any way

- Exotic properties can be maintained but, again, cannot cause harm or destruction in any way.

- Unlike other conjuration spells, makeshift conjuration enchantments do not possess any special rules so long as the effect remains within the limits of the spell/be entirely noncombative.

Purpose (OOC)

I've come to feel that a big reason behind many people having issues with reading/using conjuration lore comes from how many of it's flavor and combative abilities are woven together instead of being given their own spell to be perfectly freeform like the elemental evocations have. This is my own concept of how such a spell could work, so it might be more easily adjusted should the magic ever need a rewrite (hence why it shares a lot of functions with other conjuration spells.)

hey, conj lore guy here.

this is already a function of disjointed conjuration, which already does much of what this spell does, to a lesser extent. you can have stuff just float by you, summon stuff just laying on the ground, etc. albeit to a lesser extent than what is presented here.

overall i don't hate the idea of non-combat super corpse summoning, but i do have a few problems with this particular execution.

1. "at player discretion" for emote counts doesn't really work. people will just two 2, maybe 3 emotes, no matter the scale they're doing.

2. the scale here is ABSOLUTELY horribly excessive. conjuration is meant to be a more difficult and complex and taxing form of evocation. it should not be able to summon a swimming pool worth of blood when water evo can't even do that. 20 cubic meters is an outright absurd amount, we're talking literal TONNES of material being conjured, of a more complex material, to a greater scale than other magics can do, as a basic entry level ability. roughly fifteen people can fit in a cubic meter if you really jam them together (not alive or in whole chunks, but you're conjuring dead people anyway). this is the mass of /three hundred/ corpses worth of viscera you'd be summoning in a handful of emotes. even if we throw that out and only count whole corpses, it's still in the dozens. you're creating a full terracotta army. i cannot stress just how absurd this scale is.

3. despite being labled non-combative, this is an extremely strong combative ability. it'd be the best combat ability conj has, hands down, due to a combination of the above problems. someone attacking the gates? i fill the entire gates with 20 cubic meters of corpses, forming a huge impassable wall of dead bodies, possibly for three emotes since it is at my own discretion.
>- Upon entering combat, makeshift conjurations will vanish back into the void.
This still allows me to cast after combat, and there's no narrative reason why a simple entry level spell would be impossible to use in combat, so the spell kinda falls apart here. i also see no reason why i'd ever conjure up this absurd quantity of material if it's not for a combat scenario.
>- Cannot be used destructively, and will vanish should another work against them.
This would also need clarification regarding that. Does all of it disappear if you damage one part, or just that part? If I summon, say, fifty thousand rats (the approximate amount of dead rats you can fit in 20 cubic meters), and someone steps on one of them, do the other forty nine thousand nine hundred and ninety nine rats disappear as well, or just the first one?

4. more nitpicky, but it's something other spells can already do. just want a quick organ or two? Disjointed's your boy! also only takes two emotes! need a full corpse? normal terrestrial conjuration can make full corpses! like, three emotes for a human corpse. this spell being added would drain away from the versatility of other spells by being strictly better than them (there would be no reason to ever use disjointed outside combat if there's a non-combat spell that's thousands of times better).

due to these complaints, i cannot be anything but outright negative to it's addition in it's current incarnation. however, as i said earlier, i'm not against it /conceptually/. as such, i'd propose two different fixes;

1. if you wish to preserve the identity and theme of this spell as it is now, i'd add it in as an elevated/alternate form of disjointed conjuration, which as i've discussed already serves the same purpose as this spell. lock it behind tier 3, have a maximum size of 2x2x2 blocks, and have a scaling amount of weight/mass to be conjured within that space. i'd use a scale of t3 = 75 pounds, t4 = 150 pounds, t5 250 pounds, but that's just me. let it keep the pseudo-chimeric-alteration parts of having extra big or warped organs and body parts and such. it'd mess with the progression somewhat, but not enough it'd actually bother me. changes in this vein (not neccesarily these changes, but it absolutely needs to be cut down by at least 70-80%) would change me from negative to it's addition to neutral, since it's something the magic can already do and i don't particularly mind either way if it's added.

2. alternatively, you could lean into the semi-combative idea i'd mentioned in my third bullet point up there, using the extreme volume of conjuration as the theme of the spell. have it be imprecise, bodies fused together to make a great wall, or if you're a wood-witch type a whole bunch of trees and branches knotted over each other to make a barricade, or mushroom wall, or barnyard bash, or whatever you like. two or three emotes of dedicated work to break down, 3 or 4 emotes to cast, you'd have a great spell. i'd still move it to t3 in this incarnation, but i could see keeping most of the rest of the spell mostly the same, other than changing redlines + mechanics to match. you'd lose the original flavour of the spell this way, but as it's already something other spells in the magic do (as i've said countless times now), i don't see it as a big loss, plus it'd gain a flavour all it's own. changes in this vein would make me go from negative to it's addition, to positive to it's addition.

overall the spell absolutely needs changes, and as it stands doesn't bring much new to the table, but i'm interested to see how it turns out or any changes you do end up making. cheers.

Edited by LoTC's Next Top Model

On 10/2/2022 at 4:26 PM, LoTC's Next Top Model said:

hey, conj lore guy here.

this is already a function of disjointed conjuration, which already does much of what this spell does, to a lesser extent. you can have stuff just float by you, summon stuff just laying on the ground, etc. albeit to a lesser extent than what is presented here.

overall i don't hate the idea of non-combat super corpse summoning, but i do have a few problems with this particular execution.

1. "at player discretion" for emote counts doesn't really work. people will just two 2, maybe 3 emotes, no matter the scale they're doing.

2. the scale here is ABSOLUTELY horribly excessive. conjuration is meant to be a more difficult and complex and taxing form of evocation. it should not be able to summon a swimming pool worth of blood when water evo can't even do that. 20 cubic meters is an outright absurd amount, we're talking literal TONNES of material being conjured, of a more complex material, to a greater scale than other magics can do, as a basic entry level ability. roughly fifteen people can fit in a cubic meter if you really jam them together (not alive or in whole chunks, but you're conjuring dead people anyway). this is the mass of /three hundred/ corpses worth of viscera you'd be summoning in a handful of emotes. even if we throw that out and only count whole corpses, it's still in the dozens. you're creating a full terracotta army. i cannot stress just how absurd this scale is.

3. despite being labled non-combative, this is an extremely strong combative ability. it'd be the best combat ability conj has, hands down, due to a combination of the above problems. someone attacking the gates? i fill the entire gates with 20 cubic meters of corpses, forming a huge impassable wall of dead bodies, possibly for three emotes since it is at my own discretion.
This still allows me to cast after combat, and there's no narrative reason why a simple entry level spell would be impossible to use in combat, so the spell kinda falls apart here. i also see no reason why i'd ever conjure up this absurd quantity of material if it's not for a combat scenario.
>- Cannot be used destructively, and will vanish should another work against them.
This would also need clarification regarding that. Does all of it disappear if you damage one part, or just that part? If I summon, say, fifty thousand rats (the approximate amount of dead rats you can fit in 20 cubic meters), and someone steps on one of them, do the other forty nine thousand nine hundred and ninety nine rats disappear as well, or just the first one?

4. more nitpicky, but it's something other spells can already do. just want a quick organ or two? Disjointed's your boy! also only takes two emotes! need a full corpse? normal terrestrial conjuration can make full corpses! like, three emotes for a human corpse. this spell being added would drain away from the versatility of other spells by being strictly better than them (there would be no reason to ever use disjointed outside combat if there's a non-combat spell that's thousands of times better).

due to these complaints, i cannot be anything but outright negative to it's addition in it's current incarnation. however, as i said earlier, i'm not against it /conceptually/. as such, i'd propose two different fixes;

1. if you wish to preserve the identity and theme of this spell as it is now, i'd add it in as an elevated/alternate form of disjointed conjuration, which as i've discussed already serves the same purpose as this spell. lock it behind tier 3, have a maximum size of 2x2x2 blocks, and have a scaling amount of weight/mass to be conjured within that space. i'd use a scale of t3 = 75 pounds, t4 = 150 pounds, t5 250 pounds, but that's just me. let it keep the pseudo-chimeric-alteration parts of having extra big or warped organs and body parts and such. it'd mess with the progression somewhat, but not enough it'd actually bother me. changes in this vein (not neccesarily these changes, but it absolutely needs to be cut down by at least 70-80%) would change me from negative to it's addition to neutral, since it's something the magic can already do and i don't particularly mind either way if it's added.

2. alternatively, you could lean into the semi-combative idea i'd mentioned in my third bullet point up there, using the extreme volume of conjuration as the theme of the spell. have it be imprecise, bodies fused together to make a great wall, or if you're a wood-witch type a whole bunch of trees and branches knotted over each other to make a barricade, or mushroom wall, or barnyard bash, or whatever you like. two or three emotes of dedicated work to break down, 3 or 4 emotes to cast, you'd have a great spell. i'd still move it to t3 in this incarnation, but i could see keeping most of the rest of the spell mostly the same, other than changing redlines + mechanics to match. you'd lose the original flavour of the spell this way, but as it's already something other spells in the magic do (as i've said countless times now), i don't see it as a big loss, plus it'd gain a flavour all it's own. changes in this vein would make me go from negative to it's addition, to positive to it's addition.

overall the spell absolutely needs changes, and as it stands doesn't bring much new to the table, but i'm interested to see how it turns out or any changes you do end up making. cheers.

Hey! Thanks for responding to my random lore post. While it's similar to disjointed conjuration the intention is to stretch beyond the limits of that spell/encapsulate the flavor abilities of the magic into one easier to use space since the current way conjuration lore is laid out is confusing to a lot of other people. To address your more specific thoughts:

1. This is how ever other non-combative evocation spell functions. Generally emote counts aren't as heavily regulated outside combat.

2. Like with other evocations this is meant to be within the space of that many blocks to my knowledge. Water Evocation can conjure 50 meters of water at the same tier. Earth Evocation, which would be able to conjure the same amount, would be able to create the same terracotta army out of solid diamond (though it would not be nearly as much as it's a matter of blocks used and not cubic meters of material exactly.) I specifically went with twenty because it's consistent with the amount of blocks that perennial conjuration could cover with rose bushes at it's maximum number of emotes. If this is too much for LT it is not a difficult thing to adjust.

3. Again, both of the redlines pointed too here are consistent with other non-combative evocation spells. It simply cannot be used combatively because the moment you try it vanishes, and you simply cannot cast non-combative magic in combat (hence why spells have combative and non-combative tags to begin with.)

4. As a fellow conjuration enjoyer I'm well aware of the many, MANY wild and wacky things you can already do with disjointed conjuration. There are many aspects that disjointed as a combat spell can't manage itself though. What if I want to make it rain blood, or summon a beating heart? Or fill the air with flowers petals that do more than bob next to me? Or just make something out of solid Bone? None of these are possible with disjointed due to it's limitations as a combative spell. Other evocations are written so that the flavor and combative spells are purely separate with one instead of trying to get every spell to do everything.

Adding this as elevated disjointed would just further complicate a magic that most don't seem to understand. I've come to believe that one of the primary reasons that conjuration lore is not very well understood by even it's own users is the need for combative spells to include all of the tools for flavor use when they would be much better off separated into their own lanes like every other magic. You can see this ability as an expansion and simplification of what's possible flavor wise without changing the combative spells themselves for now.

On 10/2/2022 at 4:26 PM, LoTC's Next Top Model said:

hey, conj lore guy here.

WHATS YOUR IGN

On 10/4/2022 at 2:22 AM, ClassyBells said:

2. Like with other evocations this is meant to be within the space of that many blocks to my knowledge. Water Evocation can conjure 50 meters of water at the same tier. Earth Evocation, which would be able to conjure the same amount, would be able to create the same terracotta army out of solid diamond (though it would not be nearly as much as it's a matter of blocks used and not cubic meters of material exactly.) I specifically went with twenty because it's consistent with the amount of blocks that perennial conjuration could cover with rose bushes at it's maximum number of emotes. If this is too much for LT it is not a difficult thing to adjust.

so, another problem i brought up briefly but didn't wholly touch on is the matter of scale/progression. comparing conj to other voidal magics doesn't really work because it's not really like them, at all. it doesn't need a freeform casting spell... because they're /all/ the freeform casting spell. some more freeform than others. by t3 you've already gained access to every spell in the magic, you just get better with time. with this scale in mind, while you're struggling to conjure a ladybug with conj, or maintain a full goat's leg with disjointed, you're making five perfect recreations of the human body with this spell. you're a master of anatomy greater than that of druids and on par with your masters because someone said "what if made dead guy in void?" to you and you became a t1. personally, narratively, i have a great deal of issue with this spell as well, disregarding all the other absurdity at higher tiers. at ever level, i believe it does a disservice to the rest of the magic (but i'm old fashioned and like visible character growth and progression, which is why i wrote it the way i did. i know a lot of people can't stand lessons or whatevs and just want magic powers, and this would contradict them.). the problem extends behind balance and into the theming and aesthetics of the magic, that the most powerful of mages can maintain a couple of guys worth of matter tops... unless they suddenly decide they want to dam a river or something and summon hundreds of corpses to block it. vibe is more important than balance, imo.

4. As a fellow conjuration enjoyer I'm well aware of the many, MANY wild and wacky things you can already do with disjointed conjuration. There are many aspects that disjointed as a combat spell can't manage itself though. What if I want to make it rain blood, or summon a beating heart? Or fill the air with flowers petals that do more than bob next to me? Or just make something out of solid Bone? None of these are possible with disjointed due to it's limitations as a combative spell. Other evocations are written so that the flavor and combative spells are purely separate with one instead of trying to get every spell to do everything.

you can do all of these. literally all of these other than the beating heart. why can you not do these just because you can also use it as a gun? there's nothing stopping you. albeit the blood rain would end quickly (as it would with this spell as well, unless you're suggesting another possibility is a persistent blood raincloud), but the rest is wholly valid. having "combative" doesn't mean it can ONLY be used it combat any more than having "enchantable" means it can only be used as an enchant. the tags are lore-writer assigned and don't have any actual bearings on the capability of the spell, they're just a quickhand for what they can and can't be used for, which is why some magics/cas don't even use them. they're just for reference, not hardline rules. if it would fix confusion, i do have one coming final amendment to conjuration i've been stewing on, and i can add "non-combat" as a tag to remaining spells that don't have it. it does exactly as i intend it to for non-combat and combat as well, because if you want to summon say, a dead body worth of material... there's a different spell that already does that. disjointed is just for piecemeal. a hand. a bunch of teeth. blood. flower petals. a couple branches. whole body? terrestrial. whole tree? perennial. disjointed isn't a combat spell with some flavour thrown in, it's a flavour spell with a combat capability.

Adding this as elevated disjointed would just further complicate a magic that most don't seem to understand. I've come to believe that one of the primary reasons that conjuration lore is not very well understood by even it's own users is the need for combative spells to include all of the tools for flavor use when they would be much better off separated into their own lanes like every other magic. You can see this ability as an expansion and simplification of what's possible flavor wise without changing the combative spells themselves for now.

honestly this might make me sound like an *******, but i've helped a lot of people with conj and experienced a lot of questions people have had, and i think conj's biggest problem is it's too long and people don't want to read it so they don't (not to call out any team in particular, but two of the additions the lt requested for the conj amendment were things that were already in the lore). and that's alright! that's why we have the guide! they're required for lore for a reason, even if noone uses them (i think because they're not advertised anywhere, which is why i put the link to the conj guide in the lore). by FAR the most questions i get is regarding what you can and can't do with terrestrial, purely because it's the only magic split into combat and non-combat and people wonder if they're doing something wrong. it's why with the amendment i didn't split the other magics up, too. having four spells twice, one with a handful more redlines and an altered mechanic, does NOT reduce confusion, it breeds it. like i said before, you can't really compare conj to the other voidal magics, as well. they have freeform spells as an exception to their normal spells. flamethrower and smoke cloud from fire evo, for instance, are very specific very direct applications of fire done exactly one way. flame art (or whatever it's called) is an exception to that rule, since every other spell is more or less "this is exactly how you use it".

conj does not require a specific freeform spell, since within conj /every/ spell is the freeform spell. we don't need a quartered off "this is the freeform spell for flavour stuff", because each spell is that. want to make a cherry blossom tree to brood leaning against? can do partner!  want a bear? heh, how about a bear with moss fur and antlers, and big ol bat wings that it can't actually use because it's too heavy? meat rose! swarm of bees that live in your clothes to keep you warm! and all of these but the bear are three emotes or less! the magic is /only/ freeform spells. it's why i didn't add a dedicated freeform spell in the first place.

jing's another story, jing confused the shit out of people and that one was on me, but since the amendment people seem to understand it, at least from what's forwarded to me. if you or anyone else has problems with it, come talk to me. i'm down to be the conj tutorial and explain things. also while i'm spoiling shit i'm taking way too long to write, i intend to make reconstruction jing (and only reconstruction jing) player-signable with my final conj balance pass. i meant to do that last time but i'm also a big dumbfuck and forgot.

Edited by LoTC's Next Top Model

Amendments/Additions implemented into main lore post. Thank you for your submission. Moving to correct subforum to prevent redundancy and clutter.