The Edict of Wilheburg, 475 E.S.

garentoft

EDYKT I WILHEBURG

EDICT OF WILHEBURG

HaenseAchievement.png

KRUSAE ZWY KONGZEM

Issued by

THE CROWN

Naf zwy 9th hag i Joma ag Umund i 475 E.S.

VA BIRODEO HERZENAV AG EDLERVIK,

Ever since when We served as Lord Speaker while still Grand Prince and Heir to this Kingdom, making reforms to the Royal Duma has been upon Our mind. These reforms are the result of thoughts brewed between Ourselves and Our companions for many years past.

It goes without saying that the Royal Duma has been an ailing institution much throughout Our own Reign and that of Our Father, and even Our Grandfather before Us. It has suffered from low productivity and inaction, it is in making these reforms that We hope to bring new life and rejuvenation to the Royal Duma, with a new system rooted in dividing the Royal Duma up into the Peoples’ Duma and the Lords’ Duma.

We do therefore Proclaim the Following:

On the Powers of Establishment

I. It falls solely upon the Crown to, through Royal Edict, determine the Structure, Composition, Rights, and Duties of the Royal Duma.

II. The remainder of the Edict of Wilheburg shall therefore determine the Structure, Composition, Rights, and Duties of the Royal Duma, as per the Will of the Crown.

On Structure

I. The Royal Duma shall henceforth consist of two Dumas, the Peoples’ Duma and the Lords’ Duma.

II. Upon the Peoples’ Duma shall sit the Elected Royal Aldermen as the Representatives of the People, as well as the Barons of the Crownlands* as the Representatives of their Houses.

III. Upon the Lords’ Duma shall sit the Peers of the Realm** as the Representatives of their Houses and their Respective Lands.

On Composition of the Peoples’ Duma

I. The Head of the Peoples’ Duma shall be the Grand Alderman (if chosen from amongst the Elected Royal Aldermen), or the Lord Baron (if chosen from amongst the Barons of the Crownlands).

a. The Grand Alderman/Lord Baron shall be tasked with the day to day running and organisation of the Peoples’ Duma, such as calling sessions, tallying votes, and moderating debate.

b. Furthermore, the Grand Alderman/Lord Baron shall represent the Peoples’ Duma to the Crown, presenting legislation and other measures to the Crown for assent.

c. The Grand Alderman/Lord Baron shall remain a voting member of the Peoples’ Duma.

II. The Grand Alderman/Lord Baron shall be chosen from amongst those Seated upon the Peoples’ Duma, by those Seated upon the Peoples’ Duma through a majority vote.

III. The number of Elected Royal Aldermen that sit upon the Peoples’ Duma shall be equal to the number of Barons of the Crownlands that sit upon the Peoples’ Duma.***

IV. The Deputy Palatine shall be Seated as an observing member on behalf of the Crown, and shall only vote as tiebreaker in the case of a tie.

On Composition of the Lords’ Duma

I. The Head of the Lords’ Duma shall be the Lord Speaker.

a. The Lord Speaker shall be tasked with the day to day running and organisation of the Lords’ Duma, such as calling sessions, tallying votes, and moderating debate.

b. Furthermore, the Lord Speaker shall represent the Lords’ Duma to the Crown, presenting legislation and other measures to the Crown for assent.

c. The Lord Speaker shall remain a voting member of the Lords’ Duma.

II. The Lord Speaker shall be chosen from amongst those Seated upon the Lords’ Duma, by those seated upon the Lords’ Duma through a majority vote.

III. If a Peer of the Realm is unable to attend a sitting of the Lords’ Duma, they may appoint a member of their family as their representative for the sitting.

IV. The Lord Palatine shall be Seated as an observing member on behalf of the Crown, and shall only vote as tiebreaker in the case of a tie.

On Elections

I. Elections, which shall be the sole means of electing the Royal Alderman for the Peoples’ Duma, shall be organised by the Crown-appointed Electoral Commissioner.

II. Rules and regulations for elections shall be established by Decree of the Electoral Commissioner.

III. Elections shall be held by the Will of the Crown, at the end of every term of the Royal Duma.

On Rights and Duties of the Royal Duma

I. The Royal Duma may legislate on matters of law, pertaining to changes to the Haurul Caezk, with the following exceptions:

a. It is the sole prerogative of the Crown to amend the Jura i Kongzem.

b. Only the Lords’ Duma may pass legislation pertaining to the Jura i Szlata.

II. The Royal Duma may legislate on matters of action, pertaining to urging the government to perform a certain action.

III. It is furthermore presumed that the Royal Duma may legislate freely, unless otherwise established in this Edict, later Edicts, or by precedent established by the Crown or Aulic Court.

IV. A bill of the Royal Duma shall pass when it achieves a majority vote in the respective body in which it was proposed.

V. The Royal Duma may summon members of the Aulic Council to testify before it through a majority vote.

VI. The Royal Duma may impeach members of the Aulic Council because of serious offences such as gross abuse of powers or improper use of office. 

On Exclusive Rights of the Lords’ Duma

I. In lieu of the abolition of the Office of the Grand Peer, the duties previously attached to that position shall be assigned to the collective of the Lords’ Duma, therefore:

a. The Lords’ Duma shall suggest the promotion of commoner houses to nobility to the Crown.

b. The Lords’ Duma shall attempt to resolve issues and tensions within the nobility.

c. The Lords’ Duma shall upkeep the standard of the nobility of the Realm.

On Limitations to the Rights of the Royal Duma

I. The Royal Duma shall be prohibited from legislating upon the following matters:

a. The Crown, its authority, the Royal Succession, and the Royal Household.

b. The Brotherhood of St. Karl, the Order of the Crow, and the Marian Retinue.

c. Diplomacy and foreign affairs, unless permitted by the Crown in special circumstances.

On Assent and Right of Review

I. All legislation passed by the Royal Duma must receive the assent of the Crown to be implemented into law.

II. The Peoples’ Duma and the Lords’ Duma have the right to review and advise upon legislation passed by the other body.

a. This does not apply to any of the matters which are exclusively the Right of the Lords’ Duma.

b. The Right of Review does not concern an inherent veto of the concerned legislation, but rather the extension of advice upon the legislation to the Crown, such as concerns, potential amendments, or outright advice to veto.

III. A Right of Review must take place within a year of when the legislation was first passed through its respective body. If one has not taken place within a year, it shall be assumed that there is no intent to Review.

*At present, these are the Baroness of Verskaya, the Baron of Thurant, and the Baroness of Mondstadt.

**At present, these are the Viscount of Novkursain, the Viscount of Venzia, the Countess of Jerovitz, the Count of Otistadt, the Duke of Reinmar, the Duke of Vidaus, the Duchess of Valwyck, and the Viceroy of Hyspia.

***At present, as there are three Barons of the Crownlands seated, thus three Royal Aldermans shall be seated.

Damar lifsti va Edlerviki,

His Royal Majesty, Georg, by the Grace of Godan, King of Hanseti and Ruska, Grand Hetman of the Army, Hochmeister of the Order of the Crow, Prince of Bihar, Dules, Lahy, Muldav, Solvesborg, Slesvik and Ulgaard, Duke of Carnatia and Vanaheim, Margrave of Korstadt, Rothswald and Vasiland, Count of Alban, Siegrad, Werdenburg,  Alimar, Baranya, Graiswald, Karikhov, Karovia, Kaunas, Kavat, Kovachgrad, Kvasz, Markev, Nenzing, Torun, and Toruv, Viscount of Varna, Baron of Esenstadt, Kraken’s Watch, Kralta, Krepost, Lorentz, Rytsburg, Buck, Thurant and Astfield, Lord of the Westfolk, Protector and Lord of the Highlanders, etcetera.

"So the people are given less access to their Government, and are made structurally inferior to the Lords?" Commented Ruslan, frowning at the edict.

“They take away more access, Johann. We barely have interest in it as it stands, and now they divvy it up.” Iulius Vernhart comments to His friend from the Seven Skies. @Raijen Stars