An Improper Thain

*Shoved into mailboxes all around town and pinned to the notice board a letter can be found*

My dearest weefolk, it pains me to have to write this letter to you all.  However, something of grave importance has come to my attention while attending a recent dinner within the Collingwood burrow.  Our very own thain, the one who spits in the face of our traditions by calling himself ‘king’, has declared that properness is to be thrown to the wayside in the name of defense.  I know far too well the idea of not following our laws and traditions in order to save oneself, I spent years alone in the wilderness attempting to survive.  However, by sticking to what we Halflings know, and what we are known for, I was able to prosper and find my way back to our lovely village.

Furthermore, is this not what my late grandmother Iris Peregrin, the thain who led our people into an age of prosperity, fought against?  To ignorantly spout the words our very leader is saying spits on her legacy, to call himself a ‘king’ does the same.  This thinking is what led to the near extinction of our people back in the past world!  Despite throwing away any semblance of properness and tradition the halflings my grandmother found in Fort Hope had been beaten back into obscurity, were homeless, living like human peasants, and generally just a sad bunch.  However, through strict coherence to the past traditions that have always kept us safe Iris was able to grow the Halflings into the thriving community we are today.

Yet, here we find history repeating itself.  At the first sight of danger our thain has pushed aside the very traditions that have kept us safe all these years.  Has he forgotten the shovel training courses that used to be so popular within our community?  All the techniques that make halflings a ferocious bunch to fight when we are in our element?  Let us be honest with ourselves, we are small, trying to use a dagger as a sword against anything other than ourselves rarely leads to positive results.  However, history has shown time and time again when we stick to our ways of shovel combat combined with our stealth and speed we can be victorious.  How many stories can one recall quickly of a halfling fending off a biggun with nothing but a sword?  There are few if any.  Yet the stories from our past of Halflings joining together to take down our enemies using our traditional methods are countless.   In the end, what use will any of his ideas be when Arugula is dragging us into the ocean.

Yes, the world is growing more dangerous and we may soon find ourselves forced to defend ourselves once more.  But why should we forget the things that have kept us safe?  Why should we follow an improper thain who has grown senile in his old age?  While I try to not stir the pot it has become abundantly clear that the time of the Collingwoods has come to a close and we must look towards new leadership to lead us through these troubling times.

With love,

Dolly Peregrin, Elder of Bywater.

"Tough words fer a Peregrin who LEFT WITH ME BOWL OF BEANS AND DID NAE RETURN T' CERAMIC. After I cooked a whole new pot of beans for her!"

Thus declares Queen Magnolia, Cheese Wizard of Bywater, decrying the Thieving Peregrin's LIES.

"Also she were only there for thirty seconds. So not sure what she's on about really."

5 minutes ago, salamanderfantasy said:

"Tough words fer a Peregrin who LEFT WITH ME BOWL OF BEANS AND DID NAE RETURN T' CERAMIC. After I cooked a whole new pot of beans for her!"

Thus declares Queen Magnolia, Cheese Wizard of Bywater, decrying the Thieving Peregrin's LIES.

"Also she were only there for thirty seconds. So not sure what she's on about really."

*The bowl can be found later that day, washed and sitting wrapped in clean white parchment paper on the burrows doorstep.  A note attached*

"For Magnolia, sorry I borrowed it.  Love you, Dolly.*

"Weh may be peace lovin' folk, but in t' face o' Darkspawn weh'd beh foolish tae turneth our backs on t' realm and our allies, lest we find t'em vereh fiends at our gates. Now bow befer yer king yeh shite stirrer." Retorted the mighty halfling Shire-King, confidently to himself in the mirror.