The Clash of Gold

Spoiler

jqUMXppCjjZ_FnfTlbXZ9N6rpOY8wJE2tnm85yOhzupXfqhJyo5MG5VUraqLJb5sNfSOWSHuFLPVxDjh-UZ-MUFjV8zxPZdmTXZuW0VIsoramtm-DZPag84R_2Bg3aYo-1aYQiajUEqDWe1x2AdkVnE

v5TnfSntVIi6A-cRrMdwSJ1ON6fvFhOCt7DIxoIsplXkdyP1PiDudSH3bz2OBsEqY4SQurgCpacGZ6LKXrayjVapHA7q0NvRd8yCRvN6bQ-rP8BHxTtU_hc4a-nOLRhPu6XNR60MUbbt5DvBoZa5Kow

z0JjmmsO2Hz-Bt4YP2_oBtc0pUl5dIA9IPx16lUYCOpASwNuGQ8ex93XMjigXdEOHaPjETSGFzb2bR0FJ_lBtixChN5a8IEJM_2VJmOAxWOyBY95xBdw-NWq5ekPwbePmA18sUA_MCU-1FuKS_RN7mo

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚲᛚᚨᛊᚺ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛟᛚᛞ

Praetorium

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚲᛚᚨᛊᚺ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛟᛚᛞ

YOTH BRATHMORDAKIN NA YOTH URGUAN 

ᛁᛟᚦ ᛒᚱᚨᚦᛗᛟᚱᛞᚨᚲᛁᚾ ᚾᚨ ᛁᛟᚦ ᚢᚱᚷᚢᚨᚾ 

z0JjmmsO2Hz-Bt4YP2_oBtc0pUl5dIA9IPx16lUYCOpASwNuGQ8ex93XMjigXdEOHaPjETSGFzb2bR0FJ_lBtixChN5a8IEJM_2VJmOAxWOyBY95xBdw-NWq5ekPwbePmA18sUA_MCU-1FuKS_RN7mo

RECOUNT OF THE DUEL BY AMBASSADOR LURDOIC IRONGUT

The Clan of Goldhand has been filled with tragedy and violence, namely the terror actions of Torsun Blackhand and his vanquish of the leading elite of the Clan in one fell swoop. It is said that Clan Goldhand’s lust for gold and wealth exceeds all desires for the members of this Clan, but judging by the events of this incident, I would argue that their lust for blood serves as a strong contender for that title.  Thus is the fight of Davli Goldhand, and Grimni Goldhand. One old, and one young. 

Grudges are a common thing for us Dwed, and the grudge between these two Dwed was truly something to behold.

Grimni Goldhand

LmzfndMZw_vaIMQgdTZviNyNEFpMqf58vphirEV9-LUJrk-H1LKk5BQFjmzKUCUB2Fqo_xjthm7B-a3eKuUzeYa32L6sNQgYQXoNNFiCofjrzjlQzmuj9-f9eUSBJfySX3mjg_jJyX5uiE7NpyWXUmA

Behold the aspiring young leader of Clan Goldhand with the quest of restoring his Clan to glory after the terror inflicted upon it by the Blackhand. He was the initiator of this fight. His main grievances included Davli’s absence from the Clan and suspected treason and collaboration with Torsun. Hotheaded and rash in my personal account, though with definite ability in regards to leadership and initiative.

Davli Goldhand

WfrajhPLedZAF4w1UYb2nZKCs2zedzk53-lFO4PAhktCvwggxiKGcwOBW6zC35TmfgYnyvx2TruJeeiSaQ5imfP-xNGsT-X_-_egOmYWYUc70oyj9HHbVL6_l67wJVqcxHx1rmDxRQ0Sjlem_BqxzHQ

I for one have little positive to say in regards to this swine, though for unbiased documentation’s sake I shall maintain an air of civility. He was something of a pariah, mingling with Orcs, Humans and Elves and staying away from Urguan for much of my time within the Kingdom, it is with no doubt that he possessed far more experience than Grimni. On a sidenote, I recall he possessed an intense dislike for Ireheart’s. Now, one could see that he would be the likely victor of this bout. He possessed a superior arsenal, and had experience and age on his side.

The Fight

prompthunt: DnD dwarves in gladitorial duel. Epic painting by james gurney.

An air of suspense filled the arena on that day, I remember it quite vividly. Hearts were pounding, sweat was pouring as the two contenders marched into the arena. Grimni, in standard legion armor, and Davli, in his strange and exotic golden armor. As is typical in Dwarven culture, gambling and bets are a guarantee in events such as this. There were those who put their bets on Grimni out of good faith, whilst others felt safer placing their bets upon Davli.

This was no ordinary fight, this was a grudge fight. A fight to THE DEATH!

I had the honor of acting as the referee for  this fight, an honor that was somewhat abruptly cast upon me, but I did my duty regardless. I entered the arena as the two were cursing each other in a fashion that I would not document. I asked them if they accepted the conditions of the fight. I asked them if they wished to back out of the bloody brawl, and I reiterated to them that this bout was to the death. The questions made no difference, the two were truly destined to clash blades today, and so THE CLASH OF GOLD BEGAN

Grimni claimed the initiative for the fight, his youthful ferocity forcing him on the offensive, whilst Davli’s experienced and older wisdom held him back…. But this was merely a faint. Several parts of spiked steel seemed to sprout from Davli’s shield, and as Grimni attacked, Davli charged at full thrust with the shield, aiming to impale the Dwed upon his ingenious weapon. Fortunately, Grimni’s left sidestep and his legion armor was able to preserve the beardling for the fight, and Grimni then sent his  ax into the helm of Davli. Davli, taking into account of the situation, did the precise same, aiming to send his war ax down upon the young Dwed. Both Dwed were disorientated from the equal strikes… but Grimni took the initiative once more with a daring feint. He sent his ax right into the weak spot of Davli’s armor.

A HIT!

The Old Dwed groaned in pain, droplets of blood beginning to leak from his armor and onto the arena floor… the tides were turning in the beardling’s favor… and then… an upset…

BANG

Smoke filled the arena. Some scoundrel, likely with a strong financial incentive in the outcome of this fight, lobbed a smoke potion from a hidden spot. Grand King Grelu immediately called for a ceasefire. The honor duel was to be halted for the smoke to dissipate.

In a controversial act, it is believed that Grimni Goldhand struck Davli even after the King made the announcement, but after a pause, the fight was ended… both Dwed survived the bout.

The smoke began to dissipate, and the sight was truly something to behold, Davli had taken off his helm, revealing his pained expression for all in attendance to view. Within his hand, was a dagger.

The Gold is Gone

Davli’s last moments are something to debate amongst those who can form a primary source, but I shall outline what I saw. Davli held the dagger to his throat and glanced up to the sky… and so he spoke his last words. 

Davli: 

Ah dednae doh wah yeh fink oi ded. Buh ah dunnae 'ave dah desoire tae continue des foigh'. Ahm toired. Mah dah es gone. Meh mah es gone. Meh sister es gone. Meh brotheh es gone. Evereh'ten' es gone'.  Nighi anek dwed ruk da hallth eron aurum. Honour my father. Bury me as ah goldhand

But he did not end his own life… rather he offered that honor to Grimni, and so, Grimni plunged the knife into the Oldbeard’s throat, blood pouring out and onto the arena floor.

The fight was over, Davli’s life was over. A Dwed that was tired of both fighting and living, a Dwed that had nothing left… was gone.

Silence filled the arena, and silence once more filled the hall of Clan Goldhand.

Edited by Epicethan4