[MISSING(NOT PK)] To those I owe

Over the course of the current year, a certain voidal scholar would go missing. His general whereabouts known only to a select few, entirely unknown to most. After several months, scheduled letters would arrive in the mailboxes of specific individuals.

All letters would begin with the following excerpt:

I have always prided myself on the uncanny degree to which fortune favors me. However, if this letter has reached your graces then my luck has run dry. I have likely perished in the conflict between the Númendil and the Ar-Adunaim forces. Originally I sought to lend my assistance due to the voidal nature of their conflict but should you read this, it was my hubris the source of my undoing. I send these letters out of duty. In the event of my presumed death, this letter is a recognition of my responsibility to you.

I know not of my future fate but know that if I am alive as you receive this letter, my absence is not intentional.

Henceforth lies a specifically tailored message for your eyes alone.

The following excerpts are only received by the named character:

To Primula Divadri:

Spoiler

Within you, lies a flame that threatens to blind me. Though you may not recognize your value, you hold the potential to surpass even your grandfather. It fills me with great sorrow to imagine a future where I am not able to be blessed with the opportunity to teach you. Had events transpired to the tune of my original plans, I would have asked to name you my Apprentice. Alas, there is not a single doubt in my mind that you shall be successful even without my guidance.

Keep young Sebastian close. Despite his vehement refusal of thorough study, he will be a most useful part in the development of your abilities.

To Gloria Aestra:

Spoiler

My first student. You view the world through a lens of wonder and whimsy. In a sense, I envy such from you. You carry a proud and joyful smile despite the future that awaits you. A most debilitating affliction. Still, I took you up as my student for a reason. You are intelligent, studious, and eager. Though my conversations with Atticus were brief, I believe you will be in good hands. Seek his knowledge of the art I have begun to teach you and I have faith he shall not fail to deliver. I likewise trust that with your new dorm in Hohkmat, you will be free from the dangers you once spoke of.

To Wisteria Pinemaw:

Spoiler

I am sorry, Ms. Pinemaw. As I write this letter, I know dreadfully little of you as a student, let alone as a person. I write soon upon returning from the ritual through which you were connected. Still, of the little I know, you carry aspects I recognize within myself. The ferrets were truly delightful. I too am enamored by nature’s most adorable creatures. My most reliable ally for a long time was Reginald the donkey. He accompanied me during my travels from Almaris to Aevos. Sadly he perished from age years ago. I have not found a similar bond with any steed, including Rutherford the horse.

If you wish to continue your studies, seek Ms. Aestra. I hope that she and Atticus Reinhold will take you on as a classmate and student in the event of my untimely death.

To Calomir Aep Morwyn:

Spoiler

Mr. Morwyn, it is likely that you were somewhat aware of the happenings in Númenost prior to my fate. Should I have perished, know I fought with conviction. My foremost duty as a voidal scholar is that of ensuring the safety of others in the event of voidal threats seeking to harm them. Despite our short time, I am sure you will use these new talents to protect the fair people of your new home. I’m sure you will be welcomed with open arms. There are many within the gates of Hohkmat who would be willing to help you continue your studies. I hope you will seek them out.

To Sebastian:

Spoiler

Despite your refusal to acknowledge The Void as a fact of our world, you still boast an uncanny mastery of your crafts. I must admit such a concept rattled me inside and out. Still, within me lay an ambition deeper than my confusion. Excitement. Teaching you was a challenge I truly desired. To unravel the puzzle and take you to new heights, therein was my ambition. If you read this, I apologize for dying before giving you the chance to lose a duel to me. It seems I was met with greater forces than I.

I only ask for you to protect Ms. Divadri. I believe the two of you together bear the potential to surpass even the current magisters, should you apply yourselves.

The letters all end with the same signature,

May fortune be with you in your future endeavors,

Bastien Vaenyr Krüger Araaloq

The letters are stamped with a sigil none of the students would recognize.

Spoiler

This is not a PK post

Wisteria sat beneath her favorite tree in Dunkeld with her lume ferrets cuddled up to her as she opened the letter. Since she had not heard from or seen her teacher since being connected, she had expected some news on her first lesson, or perhaps some instructions for study in the meantime, but as her eyes scanned the page, she was met with some rather unexpected news. Her hand began to tremble and her mouth hung open slightly. Chocolate and Chip began to tug at her sleeve, trying to pull her from her apparent daze. Eventually, she carefully folded the note up and set it in her lap as her gaze turned skyward. "How unfortunate..." She managed to murmur, her voice barely above a whisper.

2 hours ago, Evil_macaroni said:

To Sebastian:

The young and fire tempered Mali'ame took up the letter from the Aviary in the dank grove he was stuck in. He sat on a rock and leaned back as he opened the letter and withdrew its contents reading over it, then again.. and again - he always hated reading so perhaps he was in mild disbelief.

He folded the letter, cursing in elvish.