On Arcaurum

Lago

8 members have voted

1. 1. Implement?

• Implement.
    • Do Not Implement.

This is mostly a clarification and elaboration of the existing lore on the Magegold used in golem core creation, but some of it is new, hence the poll. Also explained the loss of money on death before Mina Notes too beyond the monks robbing your corpse.

"Arcaurum, also known as Mage's Gold, Magegold, or Fool's Gold, is a naturally occuring metal nigh indistinguishable from gold to the untrained eye. While those experienced with gold and magegold can tell them apart from Magegold's duller shine, it is the weakness and brittleness of magegold that makes it so useless, being more like glass than metal. Even the slightest impurity gives it this brittle characteristic, but pure magegold, which is so soft it could be bent by a child, is prone to breaking easily, so most do not go to the effort of refining it to purity as it makes it even more useless.

Magegold coins can be broken in half by an even slightly strong human. It was originally known as Fool's gold, as it is slightly more common than gold and can easily be used to make counterfeit coins and gold items that break upon use, but which are indistinguishable from true gold to the eye. Such was the extent of counterfeit minas (which broke when people were felled in battle) that the Asulon-wide currency was changed to promisory notes and precious stones.

It was only in late Aegis that Arcaurum's true power was discovered. Most materials resist enchantment, requiring powerful magic or runes. Magegold, however, seems receptive to magic to such an extent that a novice could enchant it and a powerful mage could do great things indeed with it. The potential of magegold is limited only by how fragile it is, even after enchantment.

Magegold has a lesser known and less benign use: pure magegold can be used along with ancient rituals, to trap lesser spirits and souls within. This creates an arguably inhumane magical power source, which, when inscribed with the correct runes can be used to animate stone and grant it sentience (golems), and there was one tale of a more powerful spirit resisting and creating an elemental creature. Regardless, magegold is much more valuable today than it was in the past, yet many detest it for its use in counterfeiting and confidence trickery."

I support some more solid lore towards Magegold, implement, please. Well done, Lago.

Pretty good lore on how it is.

But I don't understand part of it, is mage gold natural? I ask this because IC I have been looking for some, and I have been having talks through tells in OOC asking how it is created and who has it to figure out if what I get is actually true. The responces I got was that magegold is normal gold hit by conjured lightning, which would make it extremelly rare, and only existing to those with contact to undead or shaman magic. I believe a small chat with one of the magic team member would clear the confusion.

Good luck with the lore.

You've got a mangled version of golem core creation lore there. But it occurs naturally and you can dig it up. Problem is, it gets mistaken for normal gold, so it's hard to find as you don't always know you've found it. You could probably buy some from the dwarves.