Alchemy Lore

Jistuma

The thread is written in my character's text, because it's just easier that way.

Volume I

Alchemy Basics

Prelude
For many years I have been an alchemist, not one of great name, not one of greater skill, I am one who focused on the everyday works of what alchemy may do. Even before reaching the rank of Mentor alchemist in the former Alchemy Guild in the lands of the Fringe, I already was teaching a student. Before my teacher disappeared for a few years, he promoted me to that rank, allowing me to fully teach anyone I wished, and make them alchemists when the time came to it. I have had many students throughout the years, even being as young an Alchemist as I am, and believe I am capable of doing so. This book series is a combination of all I have learnt in alchemy, containing information from old alchemists, such as Tippen and the Traveling Alchemist, to the newest masters. Alchemy is performed by all races, in the most diverse areas of expertise and the most diverse of people. What one can do with alchemy is only stopped by the reach of his imagination.

Alchemy

Spoiler

The first question I ask all my students is for me to gather the reasons why they wish to study under me. What is alchemy? To my disbelief, most of those that come to learn from me, do not know that answer, and have clear misconceptions about the topic. The answer I most receive is a simple “It’s the making of potions.” Many men and women want simply to stand in front of a brewing stand or a cauldron and throw reagents inside it to then receive a potion that would grant them immortality! Alchemy is, of course, not potion making, which results in many surprised students, and many give up because I do not even speak of potion making until just before they become novice alchemists. Alchemy is much more than that, far more than potion making, as potions are only a way in which to receive the results of alchemy. The best way to describe alchemy is as such, the study and practice of the natural principle of Equivalent Exchange.

Equivalent Exchange

Spoiler

I have been asked a few times, as have many alchemists before me, if Alchemy is magical in it’s essence. While many of the desires and goals of alchemy might appear supernatural, the process itself, and the way of achieving it, are far from it. The principle of Equivalent exchange is at the core, the law that states that to get anything, something of equal value must be offered in return. The value I refer to here is not a monetary one, as some might be compelled to think. If so, all alchemists would be throwing diamonds into a pot over and over again to receive what they would want. That does not happen of course, because the value used in equivalent exchange is associated with the properties, characteristics and representations of an ingredient or reagent. The alchemist’s job is not to mix up the ingredients like a soup, but knowing which ingredients to use, how to prepare them, how much to use, when to add them, and keeping everything safe. This is what sorts the Alchemists from the chefs. The recipes that alchemists have are not ones simply like cooking, which state that you need 3 eggs, 2 cups of sugar, a bucket of milk, and then mix everything up, place in a hot oven for a known amount of time. Alchemy recipes do not speak of exact quantities or times, for there are many ways to have the same value. The recipe does instead tell the reader what representations he needs, normally in terms of what are called Symbols.

Symbols

Spoiler

During my times as a student, I was very skeptical of most of the theory of alchemy. One of the things I could not understand was the need for Symbols. If the representation and properties of a reagent are what is used, the elements they fit in are not necessary to be stated. After a few years of becoming an alchemist I finally realised the purpose, it is because not only do ingredients have perfect representations, but the sibling representations are as well necessary to create proper results. Perfect representations would never be able to be properly used and leveled, and no reagent has only one representation. For such, attaching a symbol to an ingredient fits far better than attaching only the representations. By choosing the representation or symbol you can decide the properties of what you create. One could use the representation of life for healing potions, but depending if it’s an earth symbol or a water symbol, it will have other smaller scale representations that will distinguish them. A water symbol will provide a more smooth and fluent healing rate, making the wound heal nicely, and the earth symbol will give more strength and resilience to the healing process, perhaps making it hard to get the wound reopen. Everything fits into at least one of the four symbols or elements of alchemy, Fire, Water, Earth and Air.

The way you look at what a symbol represents is looking at the element in question and assessing what properties it has and what it is associated with. You do not look exactly at what the element is, assessing a symbol to a reagent is more about symbolism than pure correct connection. It’s to aid the alchemist design and investigate the ways of alchemy in a more practical way, without having to reach so fully into the details. Each ingredient or reagent may also be of different strengths depending on the properties and rarity it holds. Those which are rarer have a greater value than those which are common, and as such they are have as well more strength of use in alchemy. An ingredient may be a Weak, Moderate or Strong symbol, those of greater strength required quite more skilled hands, but the payoff might be quite better.

Fire
Starting with the more easily explainable one, fire is the symbol very used by alchemists that focus themselves on improving skills of fighting and giving new arsenal to use in wars. While I don’t find myself using many fire symbols, they are an absolute in the making of many of the truly fantastic deeds of alchemy. Most of the representations of fire are quite easy to grasp, because they fit perfectly onto what fire truly is. It may represent heat, burning, consumption, destruction, warmth, power and chaos. Most of these have as such a great use for damaging others or to give power to oneself or others. Alchemist fire for example, is a great demonstration of what could be done with the use of fire symbols, fire in a bottle. Devastating and powerful, it is most likely the most dangerous conception that an alchemist can create. The representation of chaos is one more confusing, one that may bring unknown results as controlling chaos is quite hard job to have. Fire does have another way you may look at it, as many poets might say, “the flames of passion ran deep in his heart, but he acted as in a burning rage.” Fire may also represent emotions, both those of anger, regret, rage, confusion, and those of love, passion, confidence. These representation are especially useful in potions to improve oneself, and in poisons to bring damage emotionally to others. The mythical love potion though, is one that is by experience impossible to have in full effect, as love is in it’s own way subjective, and varies from person to person. The closest thing that may be created is one that gives well being and peace of mind, or ecstasy. Most of those are considered drugs.
As for the properties one may find generally in fire symbols, the idea of heat is normally present in them. A flower or plant that is warm to the touch could be a good indicator of a fire symbol. The effects it might bring to a person might be associated that way as well, such as becoming feverish, or feeling a burning itchy sensation on touch. And of course the flavour of many of them, which I don’t really advise to be a way to figure out what kind of symbol it is, is most of the times spicy and strong, sometimes sweet as it goes well with raising emotions.

Water
Sometimes even said to be the base ingredients, a symbol of water is essential to all potions and oils that alchemy can create. This is of course due to it’s liquid and coherent state, or it would not be a potion or oil. The base is the main component of a potion, where all other reagents are added and mixed in. It is important to refer that it is considered a base only to the creation of potions and oils, but in the other more exotic fields of alchemy, they are not used as such. Normal water is the most simple of bases to use, not very useful for any powerful potion, as it’s not all that pure, it’s used mainly in minor potions. Distilling it would purify it and make it far more useful in lesser potions. The purest form for a base you can find, is aqua vitae. Aqua vitae can also be called Alcohol, or distilled alcohol, it is simply the result of distilling brews such as ale, wine or any other intoxicating beverages. With it, the most powerful of potions can be created. The other base one could use is lard, which is used only in the creation of oils.
Now onto the representations that define a symbol of water. Like when you imagine a stream of water, you imagine calmness, fluidity, peace, order and balance of nature. Continuing with the balance of nature, you have to understand that water is one of the fundamentals of life, and as such, water represents many parts of it. Life, regrowth, rebirth are the most important of representations, making water symbols sometimes the most important in healing potions, and antidotes. Tasting a water symbol normally brings the other representations that water might have, freshness and a minty flavour are normally what you get from safe to eat water symbols, even going so far sometimes descending into cold and ice, another two representations of water. Do not think that just because water symbols may represents life and are used in a lot of healing potions that they’re safe to eat, even water symbols might be essential to the creation of poisons, as a stream may be a thought of life and balance, but a strong river might be the location of one’s death.

Earth
While the water symbol is considered the base for potion making, I consider earth symbols the bases for other more advanced sections of alchemy, such as Transmutation and the creation of Chimeras. Such is because while potions need to be fluid and in a liquid state, transmutation is performed mostly on objects, and the creation of chimeras requires great representations of life and connectivity if one is ever to be created. More of the advanced alchemy will be left for another book, but I wanted to leave the idea that the selection of a base is not randomly selected but adapts itself to what the alchemist wishes to create. The earth symbols concentrate themselves more on solids and life.
To better understand the symbol, one must think of the two greatest visualisations one thinks about when the idea of earth comes to mind. Those two visualisations are the rock, and dirt. Such have the representations that will fit with all of the symbols of earth. A rock is resilient, hard to break and strong. It’s used a lot in buildings creating structure and protection, and all these characteristics are representations of the symbol. A rock may also be associated with minerals and metals, two representations very much sought out in transmutation. Once one thinks of dirt on the other hand, he does not receive the same thoughts as when with a stone. Dirt is different, dirt is used mostly for the growth of plants, the propagation of life. This is the second part of the symbol of Earth, one that might not be the most easily noticeable. It represents life, regrowth, rebirth and connection. Plants grow in it, and animals life over it, feeding of the plants, and so fauna and flora are as well the last representations of earth, making them the most suitable for the creation of chimeras.
I do not advise trying to eat any type of Earth symbol. While it may represent life as well, it leans more for survival of life, than saving of it. This means that normally earth symbols are not suitable for eating, either having extremely bitter tastes, or being straight up poisonous.

Air
The symbol of air is perhaps the hardest to explain in all of the symbols. When one tries to imagine air, he may think of the wind, or of what he breaths, perhaps of smoke. What could one bring from those? These are quite simply almost impossible to see, you can not see air, you can not see wind, you feel the wind and hear it’s sound, and you breath the air. One of the first representations to speak of would be of perception, without air you would not be able to see, but it comes from that fact that you do not see air, yet know it’s there, and percy the effects of it. The rest of the representations are around the idea of speed and quickness. Perhaps a thought we all have when we imagine speed, we can think of the movements in the air, the fast animals traveling through the air and ground almost provoking a wind in itself. Not the best way to explain it, as those images are quite hard to have. Of the most easy representations to think about, you may think of fight and travel, and for such you only need to think of a bird. The palate one gets on these symbols are normally quite bland. Having almost no taste, no aroma, almost like the normal air in the mountains.
A last mention on air symbols, is always it’s representations of fragility and grace. The ingredients of air are ones that in most cases are very thin and weak, easily broken and destroyed maybe simply by the moving of the hand near them. Grace is a representation I adore to use in potions of healing, and oils of well being, because they bring the condition of the skin to a more natural and graceful way. Yet I consider them hardest symbols to use, as the harvesting of the ingredients, the handling and the storage has to be extremely precise.

Preparation

Spoiler

Many alchemists students adore reaching this stage of training, and they soon regret it. Preparation is the handling of utensils and reagents, their storage, their upkeep, cleaning and maintenance. Harvesting of ingredients would also be considered part of the preparation of an alchemist. It involves everything required in the work of the alchemist just before it’s creation. Preparation is their job, anyone can add reagents together and hope for the best, but they do not know what utensils use, how to prepare the ingredients, how much to mix, what part to use of the reagents, how hot the station should be, what safety precautions need to be addressed, and so much more. It is the physical part of alchemy, where the alchemist has to act with the knowledge he has gained in his training.
The most basic of preparation is the cleaning. Everything, and I can’t stress that enough, everything has to always be clean. It doesn’t matter if it’s the cauldron a potion is being brewed in or the mask one uses, every must be spotless. Four essentials goods for cleaning: towels, scrub, soap and water. Essential technique: scrubbing until your arms are dead tired and then scrubbing some more. Any dirt, or leftovers of another potion, or bits of hair or skin, will act on the scale of equivalent exchange, and of course, you do not want that. It may result in the ruin of the alchemy procedure or in dangerous reactions, especially when leftover potions and reagents are not removed properly.
Now that the knowledge of clean is placed into the head of a new student, he must know what to use. Simple things exist in the bag of all alchemists for safety reasons. A pair of gloves, they may be thick or simply just impermeable, the best would be both, yet some alchemists trade thick gloves for ones they can easily move their fingers with. Gloves have to protect from thorns, cold, hotness, fire, cuts, spores, liquids, and perhaps even smokes. The hands are the fundamental tools of the alchemist, and all of them are going to cut their own hand at least once in their training. A mask is the second most important safety accessory to have on one’s bag. There would be the simple cloth masks that protect from spores and dusts, and then there are the most advanced and complicated masks that are able to protect from smokes and air. The second types are normally rare, the old Teutonic TAC masks being the best ones to find in the realms. I really advise the use of goggles when doing alchemy as well, as I have almost lost an eye in my training years due to lack of them, hot water may jump into the face, or bits of ingredients might be cut wrongly and fly into the eye. Others not so important safety accessories include hair and beard nets, for them not to burn in the fires, and lab coats, for protecting the skin if one is working with acids and perhaps alchemy fire.
In the alchemist’s bag, there should be many tools as well. The most normal is the knife, important for gathering reagents, and for preparing them. Of course some alchemists live for perfection, and their bag is filled with a collection of knives, shears, thongs, grapples, and many other tools for harvesting. Small vials and containers for bigger reagents are also required. The vials are essential for gathering liquids, but the greater ingredients can’t just be thrown into a bag, they need a container.
In the lab many more tools and accessories are required. The mortar and pestle fundamental for grinding reagents, a counter for the preparation of them, knives of various shapes most likely, vials of many sizes and shapes, a lot of spoons of different sizes, the three most fundamental being the small metal spoon, the thin and long glass spoon, and the large wooden spoon, towels, filters, and the mixing locations, the brewing stand and the cauldron.
Between the brewing stand, also called the alembic, and the cauldron the alchemist will find different ways of joining and creating his concoctions. I have found that elves and goblins seem to prefer the use of brewing stands, while the dwarves and bigger orcs prefer the cauldrons. The humans are as usual mixed in preferences. While the brewing stand requires a more delicate hand and precise movements, the cauldron requires strong hands and able body to stir it the right way.
Even with all the preparations done, an alchemist can do nothing without the knowledge on how to use the reagents and how to prepare them. For potion making, the cleaning and removal of useless parts of the ingredients comes before anything else, or one risks ruining what they are creating while working on the second or so reagent to add. Of course before so, they need to know what they are mixing, be it by reading a recipe, or creating one themselves. For that, they need to know what ingredients there exists in our realm, how they behave and what they create. Such can be found in the second book, which will focus fully on the location, representations, appearance and uses of all the reagents I have knowledge of. It is quite the list.

Volume II

Alchemy Ingredients

In the process of equivalent exchanged, as explained in a previous volume, is one that requires things of value to create the alchemical results of the same value. For such concoctions, various ingredients, or better called reagents, can be found and used all throughout the realms. The rarity of some are great, and many of those listed here have even other properties and uses besides the ones that are used in alchemy. The list of reagents is endless, as even dirt may be considered an ingredient, even is nothing worthy can be created from it.

Spoiler

I have created a list of all the ingredients knowledged to me in with a pronounced alchemy use, in which I explain how to collect it, where to find it, and what symbols it represents. While I do detail mostly the plants and botany with use in alchemy concoctions, a good alchemist must also learn from examples and from the theory itself how to find new ingredients, and how to access what type of ingredient one holds in their hand. Besides flora, parts of animals and beasts are also highly used, many times as more powerful or stronger symbols than the plants, yet they are also rarer, and harder to collect. I do not mention the powerful symbols, yet many of them are of easy imagination. A feather of a giant halck, a fin of a siren, the heart of a great fire beast, a bone of a troll, are just examples that may be used to then further develop your imagination.

To new alchemists I advise the use of Weak reagents, as they are far easier to use, yet almost all times don’t result in great potions. These are not to be ignored though, as even the strongest of potions may require Weak reagents, it comes down to their representations, and what the alchemist requires in his concoction. Pay attention to the characteristics of the plants and how they fit with the symbol and representations. Where they grow, if they are poisonous, what nutrients they need, how to harvest them, what part of the reagent to use, and many more details.

Earth Symbols

Weak

Name: Goblin’s Ivy
Representation: Resilience, Poison, Life
Description: One of the most easily found flora of the deserts, this plant is easily identified as a brownish green vine with small leaves. It is found mainly clinging onto old buildings or ruins of the deserts, and on the dry cliff sides. It is quite a resilient plant, able to survive in extreme hostile conditions, and with a very low or no amount of water close by. Removing it also becomes a problem, as it seems to regrow on the same spot after someone goes to the long labour of removing it all. It is these properties that brings the plant such good uses, it’s representation of resilience makes a welcome addition to any stoneskin potion, even while being regarded as a Weak reagent. A few poisons may also be created by use of this reagent, mainly ones weaker, some to create nausea or ill disposition. Easy to find and prepare, it is normally used by those new to alchemy to learn the craft.
Location: Clinging on ruins, stones and cliff sides of dry regions.

Moderate

Name: Saffvil
Representation: Resilience, Endurance, Death
Description: Possibly the most horribly smelling herb in all of swamplands, many alchemists make use of their nose when trying to find it. This green grass is green and grows on the corpses of animals, on dead wood and plants, and sometimes on the bottom of big trees. This plant is one that is extremely hard to remove from anything, as it spreads very quickly and strongly. Normally to remove it, you would have to remove the “host”, the plant or animal that it is growing on. If you do not, it will spread all throughout it. This means that the plant has a great representation of Resilience and Endurance, but this plant, unlike a few other Earth symbols, does not represent Life and Regrowth, but Death. This means this plant is mostly used in the creation of poisons, and one particular myth of an aging potion.

Name: Alabaster Leaf
Representations: Immobility, Perseverance
Description: This plant is mostly characterized by it’s leaf’s alabaster color. Most often times found in the dryer regions of the forest growing around fallen trees. Quite small in size, harvesting it may prove a difficulty to the untrained hands. The best method would perhaps be taking the whole plant, with roots, and then remove the leaves as you may use them. The extract one gets by crushing the leaves is what an alchemist should use. It comes with it’s natural alabaster hue, which serves as paint to many. The extract is mildly poisonous, creating dizziness and nausea to those that consume it. It’s main uses are in antidotes, oils, and of course, poisons.

Name: Tippen’s Root
Representation: Life, Regrowth, Resilience, Strength, Endurance
Description: Tippen’s roots is one of the most used reagents in the making of mending potions, it is even said, that it is required to be present in all healing potions, or the potion will be of weak quality. It was named after the botanist that had first discovered it around hills and in dense forests. It’s location of growing is often the same of that of Alabaster leaf, besides fallen trees, but as well next to carcases of animals and great bugs. It is quite a pleasant sight when compared with the death around it, as the plant of the herb blooms into purple flowers. What one has to use though, is the roots. They are of a yellow color, with spots accentuated a bit more darker. Many carry these roots around, even those with no knowledge of it’s use in alchemy. This is because from the roots one can easily make a remedy which may stop bleeding near instantly. In it’s unprepared it’s strength isn’t as great, but it still may save countless lives. The problem with this root is a simple one, it’s smell. The odor that the plant releases when the salve of the roots is spilled is enormous. While using it you may gag and even vomit from thinking that you are placing such foul-smelling balm onto an open wound. After such, the smell will not escape you for a few hours. It’s traits in healing bring the herb representations of Life and Regrowth, but it also has great representations of Strength and Endurance.

Name: Desert Berry Bush
Representation: Protection, Resilience
Description: The Desert Berry Bush's appearance is that of a withered rose bush, long brown/grey stalks with big pointy thorns, yet without any leaves. It doesn't appear to grow higher than four feet, but most of the thorns are longer than an inch. It grows inside cactus forests, as in, where there is great concentration of cactus. Never has one been alone in the desert’s sands without a cactus near it. The bush gives Berries of a strong red color every full moon. These don't last long, as animals of the desert appear to enjoy it's taste quite dearly. The berries are extremely sweet, something very strange to find in the desert, so no wonder the animals enjoy it. The stalks are not like the berries, if an animal by any chance passed the long thorns to rip and eat the stalk, I believe would fall dead in less than a day. As you cut the stalk you notice that the insides are green, instead of the dead brown. From it it's juice flows a lot, yet of course it's poison to drink it. Eating the liquid or even touching it causes rashes and all someone wants to do afterwards is scratch the area, even if it’s the mouth. Too much of it and it kills of course, and it sound be painful. The thorns create the same effect, so without gloves, the hand starts itching and becomes red for about a day. It doesn't seem deadly to descendents and probably kha's, but it does explain the small rodents found dead near them. A thorn is poisonous, and annoying, just doesn't kill big animals. The stalk seems to have far more uses in alchemy when compared with it’s berry, especially in oils of protection and potions of stoneskin. It represents protection and resilience, the thorns and it's poison nature being the reasons why. To prepare for it I have found it hard, as when cut, the juices drip quite fast. You can't remove the bush from the ground, as it's roots are too big, so they have to be cut in the spot. Feet long pieces of stalk are enough, yet one would have to almost tilt the plant down so that the cut doesn't face down. Gloves are essential in gathering it because of the thorns, and after cutting, I advise placing it in a long bottle, with the cut end pointing up. When being prepared, the alchemist should be careful as to lose as little bit of the stalk as he removes the seemingly dead outer layer of the stalk, before using it in his potion.

Strong

Name: Starved Coyote’s Tick
Representations: Protection, Resilience, Connection
Description: The Tick that I speak of is probably the only non flora which I speak of as an Alchemy ingredient in this volume. Mostly it can be found on coyotes the first ones discovered on the bodies of thin starved coyotes, giving them the name. This does not mean it does not appear in other animals, like desert hares and rhinos. As long as it is an animal that grows in hot climates, you may be lucky enough to find one. If the animal has a lot of fur, it may be hard to find the tick, but due to it’s size, just passing a hand through the animal may make one find the tick. It might get as big as a thumb, very fat of pure brown color. It would seem many times as a lump in the animal’s skin, and trying to remove it is mostly impossible. The Staved Coyote’s Tick, once grabbing onto some meat, will never let go unless it wants to. Fire, Ice, or even swings of a warhammer only damage the skin around it, the tick itself resiting more. It’s collecting is done by cutting the flesh that the tick is grabbing, and only when all the meat is removed from the tick, does it try to find another place to grab to. This is a dangerous thing to do, as if an alchemists isn’t careful, even with gloves the tick may grab onto the skin, and never let go. When I say never, I truly mean it, no one can make the tick let go, most likely the finder would have to be removed, or at least part of it, that or one would learn to live with the tick, as it doesn’t seem toxic or poisonous to an animal. With characteristics like this, it is no wonder that it is a strong symbol of earth, representing Connection, Protection and Resilience.

Fire Symbols

Weak

Name: Desert Bush Berry
Representations: Empowerment, Overwhelming
Description: The Desert Berry Bush's appearance is that of a withered rose bush, long brown/grey stalks with big pointy thorns, yet without any leaves. It doesn't appear to grow higher than four feet, but most of the thorns are longer than an inch. It grows inside cactus forests, as in, where there is great concentration of cactus.Never has one been alone in the desert’s sands without a cactus near it. The Desert Bush Berries are the berries given by the Desert Berry Bush. The bush gives Berries of a strong red color every full moon. These don't last long, as animals of the desert appear to enjoy it's taste quite dearly. The berries are extremely sweet, something very strange to find in the desert, so no wonder the animals enjoy it. The use of the berries are mostly in culinary, serving as treats, in jams and to bake. As for alchemy uses, it behaves as a fire symbol, as is custom to red ingredients. In this case not because of the color, but because of the strong flavor it has, almost overwhelming. On the other hand, it doesn't appear all that useful nor seems to give great use in equivalent exchange. Great to be used by new alchemists in their training, as it quite safe.

Moderate

Name: Flametongue’s roots
Representation: Heat, Anger, Destruction
Description: Flametongue’s roots is a difficult reagent to collect. It’s location of growth already makes the task hard, having to find it extremely sunny locations in forests, either in burnt areas of it, or on hillsides. If you’re not lucky to find a spot which has burnt down, and if you don’t burnt the forest down to gather this reagent, then most likely you will have to climb a cliff or hold yourself in one’s edge to gather it. The second great problem with it, is that it’s sharp brambles release spores which with contact with the skin cause hypersensitivity to pain. Gloves have to be used when harvesting, and I would suggest a face mask as well. If you know where to look, it is not so hard to notice the reagent, as it has an almost rose like appearance. The roots are the part of the plant to use, being bright red colored, which when used on wounds causes coagulation. So to harvest it, one has to sometimes dig into the side of a hillside. Use it only when in a life or death situation, as the pain you will fill when using it, will most likely be far worse than waiting for the wound to heal naturally. Such strong traits bring this plant representations of Heat and Anger.

Name: Dwarf’s Pumpkin
Representation: Rage, Envy, Bitterness, Power, Strength
Description: Although it is called Dwarf’s Pumpkin, this plant is an odious orange-leafed shrub, and one of the most prominent feature of Swamp botany. Quite potent and atrocious smelling, it is easy to find at a distance, when it exists. It has it’s name from the it’s orange color, and the smell quite fits with the description of dwarves, or perhaps because of the brew which is made by them with this herb. They grow around the muddy waters and while they are not dangerous to gather, you may get your foot stuck and perhaps even fall into the disgusting mud, and unless some boots are used, your shoes will become horrible smelling. The whole plant may be used for the brew made by the dwarves, yet only the brightest of orange leaves need to be collected for the alchemic use.

Name: Blood Lotus
Representation: Hope, Courage
Description: This vine of the deserts is one of my personal favorites to use outside of alchemy reactions. Perhaps a weird trait of mine considering what it’s properties are. The plant is of a rusty color, growing on the fresher entrances of caves in the desert. They fall from the ceiling and become like a red curtain that separates the cave from the hot exterior. These vines are easily harvested, and it’s main use outside of alchemy is mostly in culinary and brewing arts. A diet with consumption of Blood Lotus is one quite nutritious. The plant itself has a peculiar taste, one of iron, making the broths and stews created to appear to have been done with blood of an animal. Blood Lotus can also be fermented to create strong alcohols of red color. It’s representation as a fire symbol comes down to the emotions spectral. It is a plant that grows in a hot climate and finds the perfect ideal place of freshness and light. As such, it represents hope, but as well courage.

Name: Elrow Berries
Representations: Rage, anger, burning
Description: It isn’t common to find a fire symbol in cold climates, Elrow berries are of the few that exist. Elrow berries was named after an alchemist, probably in mockery, as it is also known to some as the Hellfire fruit. It grows in bushes and has a great red color to it, easy to spot sometimes in the white wastelands of the arctics. The properties which make it a fire symbol are achieved when one is unfortunate enough to eat it. Unless for a single child and her mother with a great taste for spicy food, I have not met a single person which did not feel like their throat was on fire after tasting it. It starts as a spicy feeling in the mouth that spreads through the throat, where a soreness starts coming with it. From there, the whole body starts to heat up, and even in the most cold days, the whole body starts to sweat, and the body starts aching. It lasts for a few minutes, many grabbing hands of snow and placing them in their mouth, others stripping almost down to their loincloths, and a few even faint. I don’t recommend eating Elrow berries unless perhaps you are dying of cold frost, or teaching an alchemist class and want a laugh. It’s normal uses are in poisons, especially those that work with emotions, and it represents the more destructive side of Fire. It has been added to brews on some occasions as well, perhaps to heat up the body in cold winters.

Strong

Name: Crimson Vase
Representation: Heat, Warmth, Love, Passion, Compassion
Description: In my opinion, this flower is the most beautiful that can be found in the forests. As it names suggests it has a strong red color, crimson. This is the color that the large petals of the flower have, and the form of which they take is of an elegant vase. It’s beauty is also enhanced by it’s rarity, as finding one in a forest is an extreme delight. It appears at the base of young trees, growing almost clinging to them. When the sun is high up, the plant starts almost glowing, as a beam of light passes through the small leaves and shines on it. Such combination of sunlight and protection can not be found on older trees. The plant splendor does not end here, as my favorite trait is that the flower is warm to the touch, lovingly so. There are not many fire symbols which have representations of the ‘good’ side of fire, yet this one seems to have most of them. Warmth, Love, Passion, Compassion, this plant can be used for most emotion changing concoctions. Of course it’s very important to fire based potions as well, such as Alchemist’s fire, but with it poisons of envy and rage, and potions which bring focus, courage, and warmth can as well.

Name: Drake’s Tail
Representations: Heat, Destruction, Chaos
Description: Of the herbs and plants of which I speak of in this volume, Drake’s Tail is the strongest and probably the rarest symbol of Fire. A rare sight in the deserts, almost a legend sometimes, this plant is probably the best you may find without having to slay a beast of mythical stories. It grows in the deserts, but even in them the conditions needed for it to grow are quite scarce and hard to find. This plant’s growth is very dependant on the moisture and temperature in the air, which means in the hot desert wastelands you will not find one growing. Only near Oasis, yet not too close does it grow. It needs the moisture that exists in the air because of the Oasis, and the hotness of the desert, so it becomes an area which one might find Drake’s Tail. It seeks shade as well, embarrassing it’s thin and long vines filled with thorns around a rock. With a red dusky color it’s easy to spot, when there is one around. To harvest it one has to remove the whole plant, as both the thorns and the roots are the necessary bits that are used by the alchemists in their concoctions. The harvesting is not only hard, but also dangerous. If one is struck by one of the thorns, he will gain a strong fever and have a high chance of passing out in the middle of a hot desert, to be food to the coyote’s. It’s characteristics make Drake’s Tail one of the best in the fire eccentric representations.

Water Symbols

Weak

Name: Blissfoil
Representation: Calmness
Description: Blissfoil is a plant which has more applications in healing medicine than in alchemical healing potions. While it has been found to have a weak potency in alchemy, it’s effects are quite used in healing. I do not believe many good doctors exist which have not heard of the use of this plant, for it is one of the best numbing agents out there. The greatest problem with it, is the fact that overuse of it causes permanent numbing to an area, and with the power it holds, it happening by someone who does not know of it’s effects is quite possible. The plant itself looks like a combination of many small blue flowers with a thick and flimsy stalk. It’s harvesting is as easy as collecting a flower, and it is born and grows under birch trees near grassy areas.

Moderate

Name: Serpent's Stalk
Representations: Life, Rebirth, Calmness, Fluity
Description: This plant is one of the easiest to find in the forest of the realm. If one knows where there are small ponds and perhaps streams of water, they would find the Serpent's Stalks. Long Emerald hued stalks, with stripes and ridges of a lighter green and brown along its length, almost like a serpent. Sometimes simple mistaken by normal sugar canes by those unknown of this plant, and to collect it is the same as well, cutting it at the bottom. Another attribute it holds similar to a serpent’s it’s the poisonous nature it has. Specific insects that come in contact with it are normally found dead all around them, yet from all it’s use, no other creatures seem to die from it. It is actually used many times as a healing agent, specifically to heal and treat burn wounds. A normal oinkment from simply crushing the plant and mixing it with some water may smooth the pain and keep the wound safe. It is as such a good water symbol that can be used for antidotes, oils, balms, healing potions and potions of calmness, as well as fire extinguishing potions. Those are good to have when preparing alchemist fire.

Name: Mandragora
Representation: Rejuvenation, Life, Rebirth, Regrowth
Description: This is one of the reagents most alchemists use when creating more powerful healing potions. It’s meat rejuvenating traits makes it so that it’s very well sought by many alchemists. No good ingredient comes without its dangers thought, and Mandragora is one that can bring a collector to a very humiliating death. It is observed growing into the shallow waters of swamp lands, with thick green leaves flowing out of the water. Such leaves are quite delicious as garnish for soups and to make a quite rejuvenating tea. It is highly nutritious as well, filled with nutrients. It is not the leaves that one uses as a reagent thought, but the “meat” of the plant. The part of the plant normally underwater is shaped like a parsnip. It is this “meat” that needs to be collected and prepared to use by the alchemists. Collecting it it’s not as easy as it sounds. This plant creates highly narcotic and paralyzing spores which are released quite easily when the plant is moved. Inhaling them brings the humiliating death of drowning in a foot high water level, as you simply fall on it and are unable to move any further. As such, one has to known when the spores are fully released, and only then retrieve them. Normally simply a group of at least two set out to find them, and one pulls the other from death if the spores are still with the plant.

Name: Zawabate
Representations: Life, Calmness, Rebirth
Description: Zawabate is the only reagent I know of water representation in the desert lands. Of course it does not grow in the middle of the sand, it grows in the rare oasis one might find. There is it protected from the strong heat and low humidity, in the fertile grounds around the waters. It is identified by it’s prominent colors of green and yellow, with short curvy petals in a long stalk. For those that live near them, especially the orcish shamans, it is a plant which brings a higher connection with the spirits and out of body experiences. To say more simply, Zawabate is a hallucinogen, creating great comfort and sensations, which are further enhanced if made into a strong tea. These flowers are certainly an amazing addition to potions designed to numb pain or heal because of their home in such a lush landscape among a wasteland of aridity. The amount to use however, should be greatly controlled, due to its hallucinogenic properties. Too much, and the healing potion might cause delusions and mental problems, which means it can also be used for to create those same poison effects if wanted.

Name: Frost Vine
Representation: Life, Calmness, Ice
Description: Frost vine is a blue vine which grows in very cold climates. It seems to have a need for shade, the most common of places being around trees, leaving long blue spirals in their trunks and falling from their branches. The plant is a very good numbing agent, one which can easily be made into a sticky clear substance which numbs pain and loosens stiff muscles. Too much of it and it may affect the limbs, making them completely numb for some time. One must always be sure to wash the area after applying the substance. It is by some considered a good alternative to a stronger but also more dangerous rubbing agent, Blissfoil, and with some other good qualities in the mix. The vine is quite cold to the touch, which means it may also be further used to better the effect of numbing and treating wounds and pains. With these traits, it is no wonder that this plant represents life, calmness and cold.

Strong

Name: Athin
Symbol: Freezing, Ice, Life, Balance
Description: Athin is quite a potent Water Symbol that one finds in ice lakes and rivers of fresh water, which are normally frozen. It is a blue algae, sometimes quite hard to find if the ice is too thick or the snow stops vision to the unfrozen water under the ice. One particular difficult to harvest plant, not due to the how you take it, but because of the danger associated with it. It is taught to all alchemists that it takes two people to harvest Athin. This is because it grows under ice, on very cold water. The ice breaking and someone getting stuck is a high probability, but either way you will have to get into the water to collect it. Sometimes people get stuck under the ice, not knowing where the hole they did was, sometimes they do not take precautions with heating before entering the water and freeze in the cold wind when out. Such dangers do come with reward, as Athin is one of the best materials there are that are fireproof. It has a great representation of ice and freezing, and an alchemist that carries around alchemist fire, or simply makes it, always have some athin around with them as well.

Air Symbols

Weak

Name: Jailer’s moss
Representations: Travel, Movement
Description: Quite an annoying plant in many cases, the Jailer’s Moss seems to stick to everything it touches. It is found the caves near or in swamps, growing in water streams from the walls, and sometimes even in small currents of water. It has a very light yellow color making it easily noticeable in the dark caves. It’s main property is the stickiness it has, just a touch and it never seems to let go. Of course it doesn’t hold much force, so no one but the small fishes and insects it feeds on get stuck to it, it normally breaks or the whole plant gets dragged with the animal or person. It is from this that the ingredient is considered an air symbol, representing the motion of travelling with the other animals, this way spreading. A weak symbol which is great for new alchemists to use and try out.

Moderate

Name: Swamp’s blossom
Representations: Quickness, speed, Travel
Description: This is the flower that would be considered the most beautiful in the awful looking lands of swamp and wetlands. A purplish green flower that grows through the branches of the trees, with a short and thick stem. One might feel bad for removing the little beauty one might find in the swamplands, which is quite understandable. After collecting this flower, you can remove the nectar which has a very peculiar reaction. This nectar is a clear liquid, but one that acts like quicksilver. Extracting a bit of it and pouring it over your hand, and it will dance gracefully until finding a way to the floor between your fingers. It is this nectar that is used in the concoctions of the alchemists, one that represents a clear symbol of air.

Strong

Name: Crouching Feather
Representations: Speed, Travel, Gracefulness
Description: A graceful and rare sight of the forest and plains. This quite potent reagent can be recognized by it’s long three white petals that sweep in a downwards curve to the point where they touch the ground, appearing like feathers. Like the name it has, they are found “crouching” under large fauna, such as big bushes and shrubs. The harvesting of this peculiar plant is one that is quite hard. The flower only blooms at night and a strong wind will blow the petals right off. When finding one, the alchemist or botanist must carefully remove the petals from the stalk, and keep them safe from being blown away, and from being crushed. When finally harvested, this plant is quite a strong symbol of air. The extract of the petals much be collected first, and doing so to a graceful petal is quite hard. It’s use it’s mostly for potions of celerity and when the representation of speed is quite desired. Yet gracefulness and travel also represent these long petals.

Name: Elf’s hair vine
Representations: Travel, Gracefulness, Speed, Flight
Description: One of the most beautiful plants of which I speak of in this volume, Elf’s Hair vine is a rare sight in the top of cold mountains. Like the elegant hair of the nibble elves, the plant has a extreme lightness to it, flowing softly even in the most minute of breezes. The vine is thin and white, seeming to float in the air. Normally protected from the wind, when a stronger gust of air finds it, the small blossoms that grow from the vines are broken off, and start flying with the wind, travelling together. They have many pure small white petals which gracefully come together to create the flower. These flowers is what an alchemist uses in his concoctions, which makes the collection quite difficult. If a simple breeze can take it away, picking it up or moving it around is an very timely task. The alchemist has to be slow and gentle, as not only would harsh movements send the graceful flower flying away, it might also damage the petals of this fragile plant. With a representation of grace of the flower, it’s petals have to be in perfect condition when used, a tear or a part of it damaged, and most of the use is lost. This reagent serves with great use for concoctions centered around speed and grace.
Location: Covered from the wind at the top of cold mountains.

Volume III

Alchemy Potions

The truer part of the thoughts of what most people think of alchemists is that they make potions. I have already stated in previous volumes that alchemy is not potion making, but potions are the best way for an alchemist to use his knowledge in an applicable way. There are other methods of course, which shall be talked more about in the advanced alchemy volume, but the main result of an alchemist’s study is infact potions. They are easy to collect, easy to move around, and easy to administer. Normally drank, they can in some rare or specific occasions poured on something. The recipes that alchemists create are not like those of cooks. Equivalent Exchange is their purpose, which means the order of the ingredients does not matter, and the ingredients used only have to obey the representation needed. More or less ingredients might be used considering the alchemist’s needs, and it may be more and less powerful. In regular terms, a minor potion has small effects and more side effects but of smaller danger. A greater potion has far greater effects, and supposedly less side effects, but those that it has are quite strong as well. An example in the use of potions is also in order, a potion of mending to heal a minor cut on a child’s knee should never be a greater potion of mending. Not only is it a waste, but also because the effects are too strong to heal a small wound, like you should never cook a pie in the great blacksmith furnaces of Urguan.

Spoiler

A potion being in liquid form means that an achemist has to use water symbols as it’s base. Water, Distilled water, Aqua Vitae are the bases used for potions, with Aqua Vitae considered the finest one can use. Lard is used as well, not in potions, but in oils, serving to external uses. In the example before, I mention a minor and a greater potion. There are three types of the ‘same’ potion, and those are minor, lesser and greater. They are the same potion in name, as their effects are suppose to be the same, only in different powers. Minor potions are the weakest, normally left for the new alchemists and student alchemists to conduct and make. Their effects often times are minimal, yet they are far easier to do, but do not think they are useless, as many times an effect should be small to have a good impact. These are made with water as their base. Lesser potions come right after, with distilled water as their base, and greater potions are the greatest strength one can have of a potion, using aqua vitae in their base. Of course the recipes for the stronger potions require not only purer reagents, but as more complexed and defined recipes.

I can not demonstrate all recipes that exist, as each alchemist may do his’ or her’s potions, each has it’s mastery and orientation of alchemy. They have their taste in reagents, but do remember, that a good alchemist is one that uses logic and common sense in their potions. When doing a mending potion, an alchemists would never use and earth symbol which would represent death, but it’s necessary representations, be it life or regrowth. The recipes do not come with reagents, but with the required symbols and representations. Different ways of preparing the reagents, and different reagents will leave mindly different results, which exist due to impurities and different representations in ingredients. Be careful of how Equivalent Exchange works, or the effects you get might be quite different than those that you are expecting.

Potion of Mending

Often times the most used potions of an alchemist’s arsenal. Mending potions are those to aid the hurt and injured with their effects of repairing flesh and bone, as well as body and mind. Potions of Mending are normally administered both internally and externally. Pouring it on bandages to place over wounds is a normal way of using it, as well as drank as well. For illnesses it is just drank, and for minor cuts and bruises just placing it on the wound is enough. Minor wounds require only minor potions, and no better potion should be used for these kinds of injuries. This is because greater potions, those designed for greater injuries are often time a way to escape death, or save from devastating injuries, and side effects result from extreme fast regeneration or reconstruction of tissue and bone. Paralysis of the area, scarring, chronic pain and small deformations may appear from the greatest of potions, yet their effects can be as great as repairing a shattered bone, returning vision to a cut eye, closing wounds in seconds. Even though those things are possible, sometimes even faster than with magic, they do not only require the use of the potions, but as well medical expertise. A potion to fix up a shattered bone requires it to be administered directly into the bone, and that means the flesh must be cut to expose it, which to do safely is quite the task. Of course even though the patient will he healed quite fast, he would be in no condition to do much for a few hours, fast healing is tiring for the body.

Recipe:

- Minor:
Base: Water
1 Symbol of Water (Life)
1 Symbol of Earth (Life)

- Lesser
Base: Distilled Water
2 Symbols of Water (Life)
1 Symbol of Earth (Life)
1 Symbol of Air (Quickness)

- Greater
Base: Aqua Vitae
2 Symbols of Earth (Life)
1 Symbol of Air (Speed)

Potion of Regeneration

A quite potent potion, it is part of the healing potions, but has a recipe on it’s own due to it’s complexity. It’s recipe is both dark, and it’s effects slow, but with amazing results. The potion is able to remove scarring, and most of all, regrow missing limbs. Taking months to fully regrow the limb, they would then have to be retrained, and strengthened. It’s the most powerful healing potion an alchemist can do, and to make it one must be quite adept at alchemy making, but as well face a choice which would leave most healers with a sore throat. The base used is not Aqua Vitae or Water, but the blood of the person that requires the potion. This means the potion only might work on one person. Mandragora is used for it’s rejuvenation representation, and the other main ingredient is the liver of a mother of the same race. Not using the same race woman will result in horrible mutations, and weird growths, and not perfectly made potion will as well result in weird growths instead of the required limb. The mix of the ingredients are also quite reactive, which means it will take a skilful alchemists to make it carefully. It becomes a dark colored liquid when complete, and throughout the making, the heat must be correct and constant. The other ingredients are not always the same, as the recipe like other greater healing potions.

Recipe:

Base: Blood
Mandragora
Liver of a Mother
2 Earth Symbols (Life)
1 Air Symbol (Grace)

Potion of Stoneskin

A potion that almost seems like a legend come true. This potion is one great in an alchemist’s arsenal. It makes one skin as hard as stone, armor without armor, able to protect itself against blades and arrows quite efficiently. Of course like hitting stone, some chipping of the skin might happen, and that will appear as wounds once the effects of the potion wears out. There are two major side effects of this potion. One of them is the fact that drinking it is extremely hard. Some that have drank it consider the taste worse than poison, and I do believe, as they are alchemists who I think would try poisons on themselves. After the effects of the potion the result is also one like being sick. Vomit, extreme nausea are very common effects. The other side effect is what happens if the body can not fully handle the potion. They become like a rock, unable to move, fully paralyzed yet indestructible as well. It is a rare effect, I would say happening one in five potions drank, but losing agility is a normal side effect of it. There is only one rank of this potion, anything less and it’s effects won’t be worth, anything more and the body can not take it.

Recipe

Base: Distilled water
4 Symbols of Earth (Fortitude)
3 Symbols of Fire (Power)
1 Symbol of Air (Speed)

Potion of Strength

Another highly sought after potion, this one is capable of enhancing the strength of someone, sometimes making an elf as strong as an Olog for short moments. Making such temporary changes to one’s body may bring quite the great amount of pain, yet it’s great way to achieve victory in a duel or fight. The major problem, like that of the potion of stoneskin, is that the body is not adapted to this amount of strength. It has been heard about people who drink this potion falling in pain as the effects of the potion come, or after the effects end, due to crushed bones, or destroyed muscles. If used in the right dosages and not excessively though, the side effect is normally tired muscles. The minor rank of this potion is quite good for training, and it’s effects quite safe, considering it only gives one a small power boost, good for lifting heavy weights out of a cart.

Recipe:

- Minor
1 Symbol of Earth (Fortitude, Power, Resilience)

- Lesser
2 Symbols of Earth (Fortitude, Power, Resilience)
1 Symbol of Fire (Power)

- Greater
3 Symbols of Earth (Fortitude, Power, Resilience)
1 Symbol of Fire (Power)

Potion of Celerity

Also know as potion of agility and potion of speed, the potion of celerity is the one that raises the movement speed and reflexes of the body. Normally wanted to be used for combat, many find it better to use when following prey while hunting, or even by thieves to quickly escape when seen. The side effects happen as all do when the body is changed temporarily, the body is not made to move faster than it does, and forcing it to do it may bring extreme pain to the muscles after the effects are done.

Recipe:

- Minor
1 Symbol of Air (Speed)

- Lesser
2 Symbols of Air (Speed)

- Greater
3 Symbols of Air (Speed)
1 Symbol of Fire (Power)

Potion of Accuity

Another air based potion like the potion of Celerity, the potion of Accuity is an amazing potion to create and use. This potion provides the drinker with heightened senses, and may be prepared to all senses, or to specific ones for more potency. Often times uses for hunting or for taking a job in hard tasks with require great vision, hearing or touch. In a competition of cooking for example, the judges might drink this potion beforehand for greater ability to judge the taste, and it is said that with it, someone might smell poison in their drink when there is no smell to sense. The result of enhancing the senses for a short while, is the worsening of them afterwards for a short while.

Recipe:

- Minor
2 Symbol of Air (Perception)

- Lesser
3 Symbols of Air (Perception)

- Greater
4 Symbols of Air (Perception)

Potion of Wizard’s Wisdom

Ever wanted to feel like the great scholars of old? Then this potion is the one to use. A potion able to enhance the mental capabilities of the drinker temporarily. Fantastic even in it’s purple color, it enhances one’s problem solving, reasoning, and general thinking ability. Of great use to alchemists as well, especially when formulating new potions and you find yourself stuck on a problem. This potion will aid you, not by giving you ideas as soon as you drink it, but by clearing your mind, making you think fluidly, and giving you a new perspective on the matter. It’s reagents are many, so to create them you would take quite the lengthy time, and the migraines it creates are long, yet if you enhancing it with purer ingredients will diminish some of the migraines. Another point about this potion could perhaps be it’s effects when dealing with memory loss, it might make the person have an easier time remembering, mind invasion from mental magic, becoming fully in control of your own mind placing the mage outside of control, and while being interrogated or lying, you will appear far more truthful in your responses.

Recipe:

- Minor:
2 Symbols of Water (Balance, Clarity)
1 Symbol of Fire (Power)
2 Symbols of Earth (Endurance)
1 Symbol of Air (Perception)

- Lesser:
3 Symbols of Water (Balance, Clarity)
2 Symbols of Fire (Power)
3 Symbols of Earth (Endurance)
2 Symbols of Air (Perception)

- Greater:
5 Symbols of Water (Balance, Clarity)
3 Symbols of Fire (Power)
3 Symbols of Earth (Endurance)
3 Symbols of Air (Perception)

Potion of Smoke Whispers

Like in the magical stories where the hero throws something into the floor and a cloud of smoke is formed, this potion creates the same as the vial shatters. Creating black smoke which releases fast, it allows the thrower a distraction or the ability to temporarily incapacitate the adversaries. Brewed over the course of four weeks, this potion is literally smoke in a bottle, and like it, it creates irritation when breathing and to the eyes.

Recipe:

4 Air Symbols (Flight, Transport)
1 Fire Symbol (Combustion)

Potion of Sleeping

Used by people of all kinds, this potion’s objective is placing someone to sleep. It might act fast, it might act slow, it might be to help with sleeping at night, or it might be to knock someone out. The use will dictate the power the potion has to be made. Minor potions will have more of a relaxing result, making resting far more easier to achieve. Lesser ones have to be drank, and soon after the potion will take effect and the one to drink it will not even noticed he passed out. Greater potions on the other hand, might not even need to be drank, only smelled. This is particular good for doctors when needing to operate, as it does not force the patient to drink something. To force it on someone might not have some good results, as the potion does take it’s time to give it’s effect, enough to fight back. It is worth noticing, that if the recipe is only read by the symbols needed, the lesser potion of sleeping is the same as the lesser potion of mending. Always be careful with the representations of the symbols you use.

Recipe:

- Minor
2 Symbols of Water (Calmness and Relaxation)
1 Symbols of Air (Speed)

- Lesser
1 Symbols of Air (Speed)
1 Symbol of Earth (Resilience)

- Greater
2 Symbols of Air (Flight and Speed)

Potion of Freezing

A peculiar potion, which it’s only intent is freezing or cooling something, or perhaps to just keep cold. I invented one of the potions, the potent one which quickly freezes water on contact, making it something impossible to drink and dangerous to the touch. This potion must actually be kept in a thick glass vial, and it then must be surrounded by fur, or something of the like as to keep it your hands from freezing and stopping water from getting stuck to the vial. Another recipe was made by my student, it is far weaker, and more for a use in someone’s body. To put it simply, it is a protection of a person’s cold, which seems quite horrible for most times. Yet if you’re travelling into very hot climates, it could save one’s life.

Recipe:

- Minor
1 Symbols of Water (Cold)

- Lesser
2 Symbols of Water (Ice, Cold)
1 Symbol of Earth (Protection)

- Greater
1 Symbols of Air (Speed)
1 Symbol of Earth (Hardiness)

Waterbreathing Potion

A remarkable potion which allows someone to breath underwater for long periods of time. The biggest side effect of this potion thought, is that you stop breathing air. Made of rare ingredients, mainly the liver and gills of a mermaid, it turns someone temporarily into a sort of human fish. Your skin between the toes and hands starts webbing, only falling out a few hours after the effects of the potion are gone. Being too long inside of the water also makes it so that when you finally leave, your ears seem to pop, and you can not hear for a few minutes. The most important part of the potion, is the creation of gills on the side of your neck, it is these that allow you to breathe underwater, yet not above. For the first few moments of the transformation, someone can not breathe in or out of water, it may create panic in some people, yet they must remember to go into the water, because they will not be able to breath out of it.

Recipe:

Base: Aqua Vitae mixed with a bit of seawater
Mermaid’s Gills and Liver
1 Symbols of Water (Fluidity)
1 Symbols of Air (Speed)

Frost Oil

As an oil, this concoction has an external use and is not to be drank. As I move on to the oils, the type of base fixes itself to only lard. Lard has a more viscous consistency which allows it not to drip when coated on something. The Frost oil, or Oil of frost, is the first I will speak of. An oil which has similarities with the potion of freezing, but whose effects last longer, enabling it to be coated in weapons, armor or clothes. It’s effects are quick cooling what it touches, but it reacts weakly to air, meaning it’s effect happen mostly through contact. Using such an oil on clothing or armor might make the wearer cold, but such could be the objective if one is travelling into hot deserts or inside volcanos. On the other hand, while it might make the cloth or armor it was placed cold, it also offers a protection to the same cold, as something already cold, can’t get colder. As such, if one would use the oil of frost in cloth, he would find himself getting colder, yet if the oil was used on the outer layer of plate armor, it would assist with protecting against cold winds. If placed on weapons, it has the most use on swords. A slash of the weapon on someone’s skin would slightly freeze the area. You might think a frozen cut would mean that the blood loss would be lower, and it’s true, yet freezing the area will make the skin turn slightly blue, and the opponent will have difficulties moving the area, this way slowing him down. The cut makes the cooling enter more into the flesh, perhaps even forcing someone to have to remove the frozen flesh affected, perhaps even amputating a limb. The biggest worry of using it on tools and armor is that it also cools it down substantially, and when badly brewed will make metals very easily shattered, when well brewed they will still suffer some problems in lesser effect.

Recipe:

Base: Lard
3 Symbols of Water(Cold, Ice, Frost)
2 Symbols of Air (Speed)
1 Symbol of Earth (Fortitude)

Flame Oil

The Oil of Flame does almost the exact same as the Oil of Frost, yet instead of cold, it works with burning. In contact with the skin it will leave huge burns, but of course you do not apply it to the skin. On weapons, when striking the enemy, it will cause great pain a kind to burning. The flesh will become red and start to create puss. While the Oil of Frost might slow the opponent, the oil of Flames inflicts greater damage on him. The weapon does not escape damage, while with the Frost Oil the weapon may shatter, with the Flame Oil it corrodes it. While the effects do seem like those of a flame, it does not actually heat an object up. It actually make it more flame repellent and heat resistant. Of course the resistance isn’t perfect, and a wooden sword coated with the oil will still catch ablaze, it does tarden the effects. This means if applied to armor or cloth that is not touching the skin, it creates a sort of heat and flame protection. In the recipe it is found the use of a water symbol, and one might ask why such a representation is required in such a fire centric concoction. The explanation is rather simple, it calms the fire symbols of destruction and power, balancing it to not create an extreme reaction, which normally is represented as an explosion while brewing.

Recipe:

3 Symbols of Fire (Power, Destruction, Burning)
2 Symbols of Earth (Endurance)
1 Symbol of Water (Calmness, Balance)

Fortitude Oil

Quite a simple oil to explain with the phrase “Armor for your Armor”. An oil which holds material together and makes it last longer or resist further violent means against it. The problems with this simple oil aren’t many, as it has about the same effect with weapons, armor, or even special goods that one might want to protect. While armor will resist greater forces on it, as soon as the limit is reached, the oil would be as not there, even making the armor break more substantially. This makes the armor ideal for arrows, sword cuts, piercing, and jabs, yet if a warhammer or battle axe hit full on, it would make the armor shatter. For weapons this problem does not exist, as the weapon is made to hold and last great force, if being used correctly. As such this oil is ideal to prolong the life of the weapon it is used on. Just remember to never mix any of these oils in armor or weapons, as the consequences would be quite high. From rusting, fracturing, to even melting.

Recipe:

3 Symbols of Earth (Endurance, Fortitude, etc.)
2 Symbols of Fire (Potency, Power)

Hair Rejuvenating Oil

An oil of my own invention, and one that I am quite pleased with. Simply be, depending on what ingredients you use, it rejuvenates hair, grows hair that was falling, and grows hair where the oil touches. The weaker version will simply make the hair stronger and shinier, while the middle one helps hair grow back and grow faster, if someone is going bald, or lost hair due to a prank, or accident. The stronger version is quite dangerous. While it’s main purpose is to grow hair, it also grows anything else it touches. As such, the area it is used in must be cleaned, clean gloves must be used or you risk gaining furry fingers, and a clean cloth must be used to spread the oil. If anything contaminates the oil, it is more likely that fungus or bugs start growing instead of hair, and if you drink it… lets just say I’ve seen someone puke a moving fish after drinking it, and the tongue looked quite furry.

Recipe:

- Minor
1 Symbol of Air (Speed/Grace)
1 Symbol of Earth (Hardiness)
1 Symbol of Water (Rejuvenation)

- Lesser
2 Symbols of Earth (Hardiness and Regrowth)
1 Symbol of Water (Rejuvenation)

- Greater:
2 Symbols of Earth (Hardiness and Regrow)
2 symbol of Water (Rejuvenation and Life)

Glue Oil

A simple oil of my own creation after discovering the ingredient which I named Jailer’s moss. It is a weak air symbol representing travel, but it has the property of glue as well. Through testing I realised that I could strengthen the glue properties, and make them react only when movement is happening. Something interesting to use when fixing machinery or to make shoes that do not slide in ice, but allow you to walk on it easily. Without using that particular ingredient, and using an air symbol representing speed, then the effects change and the glue becomes one that hardens quickly after applying, especially good in construction.

Recipe:

1 Symbol of Air (Travel/Speed)
2 Symbols of Earth (Hardiness, Connection)

Alchemist’s Fire

One of the greatest means of attack from an alchemist, their creation of fire. Many times referred to as ‘fire in a bottle,’ a more correct term would be ‘liquid fire.’ The alchemist is able to access the properties of fire and add them into a liquid, making it highly volatile and dangerous. Getting hit by a bottle of it would result in being completely covered in flames. Of course it’s not always used for combat, and many times it is used to cleaning metal utensils, such as cauldrons and knives from contaminants and impurities. Some may say it’s a waste to use such a powerful potion on cleaning, but it’s use that way may also be associated with it’s danger. Alchemist’s fire is highly dangerous, both while brewing and after. To brew it, not only must the temperature of the concoction remain constant, that temperature must be almost freezing. The room must be made almost specifically to create it, as it must be freezing cold. Some alchemists have started using Thanhium to have a cold room in their labs instead of heading to the tall mountains, or the cold Tundras. In those conditions the alchemist’s fire is made, and even brewed in freezing temperatures, it still can burn your hand. The bottles must be made of glass, and to fill them, thongs of sorts must be used, as if your hand touches the liquid it will be burnt, even will gloves. Never should an alchemist fall into the mistake of using a wooden cork, as the liquid will burn right through it and most likely blow in the hands of the handler, they must always be made of glass. Now onto the dangers of the bottles. If they are kept stationary, they won’t be dangerous, it’s problems start when they are moved quickly or hit. Some alchemists keep them in Athin made sacks to prevent some of it’s force if the bottle is broken, yet even so the alchemist would be burnt. Falling while carrying these bottles, or being pushed, punched, thrown to the ground may result in a bottle breaking. For them to be useful they must break, but that is the bane of the carrier as well. For each bottle a man carries, when subjected to what was mentioned above, there is a 30% chance of it breaking and setting the man on fire. Throwing the bottle hard will have 30% chances of blowing up in the thrower’s hand, and even if thrown underarm for more safety still has 15% chances of blowing when thrown. The safest way to use the bottle is to drop it, it results in it blowing up when hitting the ground in almost all cases. While it does explode, it’s explosion is not one like tnt, but more of many tiny shards of glass and fire sent flying everywhere. Normally for the cleaning that I spoke above, the explosion is avoided by opening the bottle and pouring it out fast enough so that it doesn’t break it. Alchemist’s fire releases air as it burns, meaning it can’t be easily extinguished and will continue to burn until it’s gone. There are only a few specific ways to stop it from burning, normally requiring an alchemy potion to counter effect it, a freezing potion for example could work. The way it behaves is almost like burning oil, a liquid aflame.

Recipe:

4 Symbols of Fire (Destruction, Power, Consumption)
2 Symbols of Water (Fluidity)
1 Symbol of Air (Speed)

- Written by Daniel Nodal

OOC:

Spoiler

Will be updated, and will not be locked so comments and the like may happen. A lot more ingredients need adding, yet there are so many that it takes time. Also a few volumes are still missing.

This is basicly a condensation of the 7-9 posts on alchemy, potions and etc. The others will be moved to outdated lore with exception of 2 or 3.