[✓] [Magic][Lore Revision] A Slight Buff to Voidal Shifting

ski_king3

There are two proposed changes I seek to make to voidal shifting. One is more a clarification than anything, while the latter is a buff regarding the number of times one can shift.

The first is regarding the red line listed below:

- Teleporting is mostly restricted among the Z axis due to the massively confusing direction of the void, hence only small amendments in height are allowed and teleporting atop walls is impossible.

Instead, I propose that the red line say:

- Teleporting is mostly restricted among the Z axis due to the massively confusing direction of the void, hence only small amendments in height are allowed and teleporting atop walls is impossible. This will not restrict shifting across distances one could traverse mechanically.

Basically, the goal here is to make it such that while voidal shifting shouldn't be used to access unreachable high places, if you are say, on a hill, it is alright to shift several blocks up or down, if it is with the natural slope of the hill which you would be able to walk up and down anyway. Make sense? I think so!

The second change is a bit more substantial. Currently, if you look at the tier limits, the varying levels of proficiency offer a maximum distance, as well as a maximum number of shifts one can perform regardless of how far they are. I seek to instead set a maximum distance any single shift can go (which won't change), and a total distance one can shift (which will be higher than the present). This would mean that a practiced user of voidal shifting would use the same amount of energy for one shift of 20 meters or four shifts of 5 meters.

The new limits would be as follows:

Tier 1 - 2 meters per shift, 2 meters total

Tier 2 - 4 meters per shift, 8 meters total

Tier 3 - 8 meters per shift, 40 meters total

Tier 4/5 - 20 meters per shift, 120 meters total

I propose this change simply because, after using voidal shifting in combat a few times now, only being able to shift five or six times before exhaustion is not very useful, in particular because it is best used in conjunction with physical combat, something mages are weak with. Being able to shift more times over shorter distances makes the magic better suited for how most people will likely use it: confusion, evasion and flight.

That being said, I am open to criticism. Please give me your thoughts!

+1 Though from what I have been aware of there is very little restriction on the Z axis when moving down. It's just up. I say if you are moving up and can get their MCly go right ahead. The shifting amounts are nice too. Me gusta.

I kind of feel there should be some up front fixed mana cost for initiating the spell no matter how far you travel, as well as a variable cost that depends on how far you travel. Might be a bit complex though. The height change is totally reasonable.

This would definitely be nice.

Although what if you had a grappling hook or some other method to go higher, would that still work with shifting?

I completely agree with the first bit about the height, that is very reasonable. The second bit I think 160 meters(500+ feet) is a little much. Especially if you look at the difference of tier 3 to tier 4/5. I also think you should separate tier 4 and 5. 

Voidal Shifting needs a buff +1

It's certainly needed, a major issue has been Voidal shifting being lacking in its niche area. This will certainly help quell a problem. 

This lore has been reviewed and voted on and has been ACCEPTED!

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon.