How to Rp OCD

KaiserJacobII

What is OCD?

OCD means Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, it is a disorder in the mind that causes some one to do a Compulsive behaviour, that may be rash or pure weird to stop something bad happening or to make something good happen, but it wont work. Like jumping up and down 12 times at noon, 6 Am, and 6 Pm to stop the ground from exploding, or to win the next big race. OCD can make someones live horrible to the point where they can't move or this something will/wont happen, which is rash.

Why OCD?

I suffer from light OCD and have been reading a book about it called Stolen Child, by: Laurie Gough. 

28237713.jpg

It is about a woman's child who was go-lucky, happy, a normal 11 year old. Then his loved grandfather, and her father died. The kid soon started rituals to get him back, and his mother was plunged into a troubled year. I want to share how to Rp OCD right, so you can do it.

What to not do when Rping:

-have the OCD only effect you a bit

-but don't go over board

-don't make this mean you're edgy, in less you want your character to have a dark or mysterious feeling to it

- don't do OCD stereotypes, my OCD is even un-noticeable most times 

Bad Rp:

john jumps up and down yelling "Begone spirit."

William turns to john "What are you doing?"

John says "Scaring the spirits away, i must keep order.

William says "Stop John, there are no spirits."

John stops and says "Okay William, thanks."

William goes back to buying his orange.

Whats wrong here: Well OCD is normally quiet. You don't normally tell people what you're doing, and OCD can not be stopped that easy, sorry John.

What to do:

-read books on OCD, like the Stolen Child

-keep your mind open to new ideas

-have your characters curable

-ask me for help on OCD characters  

Good Rp:

John mumbles something about "Spirits.. begone.."

William says "What was that John, i did not catch it."

John shakes his head slowly "Nothing, Will."

William raises a brow at John then goes back to buying his orange.

Whats good here: John was quieter, John did not tell William.

End note: 

OCD is generic but can be live in a person for a whole live without being woken up, it can be woken up by major change, tragedy, or other events. It is a monster that feeds off our worst fears and darkest secrets. It is really hard to end, and mentally painful. I hope this guide will help you, happy Rping! 

I got OCD too pal, it's a very broad disorder and everyone has their own obsessions and compulsions. The basic "rule" for roleplaying it out is simply to establish a few compulsions/rituals that your character subtly goes through whenever the character stumbles on an event that (i hate even using the word, but its the medically correct term) triggers the OCD.

9 minutes ago, Chaotikal said:

Why was my comment removed, wtf

harmful and bigoted sorry. ban incoming, bucko

Seeing as I live with this, all my characters already have this, because I don't know how to RP without it. :P but a decent guide.

I have OCD as well and it's not always some strange deranged obsession. It can just being very unsure of one's self. My main symptom was being late for work dozens of times because when I went to leave work I was never sure if I actually locked the door and so would walk from my car to check on the door and get back in my car only to check the door several more times.