Sign in to follow this  
TheFirstShroom

In Response to Karl Blackroot

I sit here now and draft this letter in response to the accusations of Karl Blackroot, who deemed my judgement of his crimes too lenient.

In Response to These Accusations:

Firstly, I wish to address Karl’s claims that this decision was political in nature. This claim is made clear by the very first line of his address, which states:

“What is the cost of a life? If you are a political figure of the kingdom it is 20,000 mina. That is the cost of a life for those in positions of political power.”

In truth, this claim is entirely baseless. For those few that know me well, you know that I do not delight in politics, but that I engage in them only for the betterment of my Clan and my Kingdom. I believe this is demonstrated clearly by the fact that I have never actively vied to increase my own power and influence, I have only volunteered myself to fill those vacant voids and graciously accepted the duties placed upon me. Though some may doubt the candor of what I claim, they are nonetheless true.  

Secondly, I wish to address the claim that I am unequal in my treatment of the dwedmar, which is clearly implied when Karl states:

”A dwarf that is not connected to their subrace is not connected to their heritage and will hence forget the common folk. The folk that do not make a big impact politically but are there. Dwarves with rights that deserve to be treated as equal. An act as awful as killing someone can be solved through a bribe to the kingdom?”

This claim is not only baseless, but also blatantly slanderous. I would challenge any dwed to name a single instance in which I treated one of our kin as higher than another. I have never, in nearly two hundred years of life, looked down on a fellow dwed because of their subrace, clan, or social standing. Indeed, as a once clanless dwed myself, I would not dare to presume that I was better than anyone, especially not based on those factors which they cannot control. 

The implication that my judgement of Karl’s crimes was based on politics, or that I viewed Karl as somehow “better” than the dwed he killed are not only slanderous, they are personally insulting. 

Regarding the Reasoning behind my Judgement:

In the reading of both Karl’s letter and the first section of my own, the obvious question on everyone’s mind should be “Why would Falk Irongut allow such a low price for such a heinous crime?” Indeed, I would say this is a just question to be asking. Therefore, I wish to shed some light upon why I made the decision to simply fine Karl Blackroot. 

Throughout the entirety of Karl’s trial, it was clear to me that he had committed the crime. Karl Blackroot murdered a dwed without any just provocations. However, during the trial, it became clear to me that this crime was not premeditated, but instead a crime of passion. For many reasons, Karl Blackroot felt that the victim of the crime was a heretic, an abomination, and a threat to the kingdom as a whole. It was because of these convictions that Karl carried out this crime. During the Trial, I thought back to those many times I’d allowed my own temper to take hold of me (a flaw that I still battle with today). Though I may never have committed something so heinous as the murder of a kinsman, I still understood the perspective of one driven by passion. 

For this reason, I chose to not repay death with more bloodshed. Although the spilling of blood often calls for blood to be spilt in return, I believed that Karl was not beyond retribution, and chose to show him mercy by not permanently condemning him to a life of suffering, either from punitive maiming, exile, or even his own execution. 

I will admit, however, that the fine I issued should have been larger. I personally have never held a great love for coin; any coin I do make is used to help sustain my clan and to promote the betterment of the kingdom. The fine of 20,000 mina I issued to Karl was at least twice as large as the greatest sum of currency I have ever owned. I realize now, while such a fine would have kept me in debt for many years to come, was but a trifle to a dwed who delights in money. 

Regarding Karl Blackroot’s Current Actions:

In my few dealings with Karl Blackroot, I cannot say I have seen many signs of his depravity. It is true that he is often in conflict with the leadership of the Grand Kingdom, it is almost always on behalf of the Hefrumm. His continuous fight for a better standard for his people and the preservation of their customs led me to believe that Karl Blackroot was, at the very least, an honorable dwed. I see now that I was wrong. 

Karl, upon receiving a lenient sentence for his crimes, has chosen instead to flaunt his crimes as a badge of honor. He uses the sentence given to him as a means to thrust himself into the attention of every dwed. He does this not to better society, as he may claim, but simply because he enjoys the attention of the masses! This has been made utterly apparent to me by the fact that Karl still boasts of how he killed one of his kin! Would someone who truly repented boast of their sins to the masses! I believe not. 

I see now that I was duped. I no longer believe that Karl Blackroot is capable of repentance, nor is he willing to learn from those mistakes he has made. I only hope that the coming religious trial will not have their eyes clouded as mine were. 

signature.png.6acab8ed373c8d1ef0fd8dc5278c3640.png

Dwalin claps from his office upon reading a copy of the missive

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Bryldryn Grandaxe sighs and shakes her head, “Karl is going to whine and write another letter how unfair the trial was once the clergy shows him the ‘justice’ he demanded.” She gently places the letter on her desk and murmurs something about trees before getting up to leave the study. 

8 hours ago, TheFirstShroom said:

I sit here now and draft this letter in response to the accusations of Karl Blackroot, who deemed my judgement of his crimes too lenient.

In Response to These Accusations:

Firstly, I wish to address Karl’s claims that this decision was political in nature. This claim is made clear by the very first line of his address, which states:

“What is the cost of a life? If you are a political figure of the kingdom it is 20,000 mina. That is the cost of a life for those in positions of political power.”

In truth, this claim is entirely baseless. For those few that know me well, you know that I do not delight in politics, but that I engage in them only for the betterment of my Clan and my Kingdom. I believe this is demonstrated clearly by the fact that I have never actively vied to increase my own power and influence, I have only volunteered myself to fill those vacant voids and graciously accepted the duties placed upon me. Though some may doubt the candor of what I claim, they are nonetheless true.  

Secondly, I wish to address the claim that I am unequal in my treatment of the dwedmar, which is clearly implied when Karl states:

”A dwarf that is not connected to their subrace is not connected to their heritage and will hence forget the common folk. The folk that do not make a big impact politically but are there. Dwarves with rights that deserve to be treated as equal. An act as awful as killing someone can be solved through a bribe to the kingdom?”

This claim is not only baseless, but also blatantly slanderous. I would challenge any dwed to name a single instance in which I treated one of our kin as higher than another. I have never, in nearly two hundred years of life, looked down on a fellow dwed because of their subrace, clan, or social standing. Indeed, as a once clanless dwed myself, I would not dare to presume that I was better than anyone, especially not based on those factors which they cannot control. 

The implication that my judgement of Karl’s crimes was based on politics, or that I viewed Karl as somehow “better” than the dwed he killed are not only slanderous, they are personally insulting. 

Regarding the Reasoning behind my Judgement:

In the reading of both Karl’s letter and the first section of my own, the obvious question on everyone’s mind should be “Why would Falk Irongut allow such a low price for such a heinous crime?” Indeed, I would say this is a just question to be asking. Therefore, I wish to shed some light upon why I made the decision to simply fine Karl Blackroot. 

Throughout the entirety of Karl’s trial, it was clear to me that he had committed the crime. Karl Blackroot murdered a dwed without any just provocations. However, during the trial, it became clear to me that this crime was not premeditated, but instead a crime of passion. For many reasons, Karl Blackroot felt that the victim of the crime was a heretic, an abomination, and a threat to the kingdom as a whole. It was because of these convictions that Karl carried out this crime. During the Trial, I thought back to those many times I’d allowed my own temper to take hold of me (a flaw that I still battle with today). Though I may never have committed something so heinous as the murder of a kinsman, I still understood the perspective of one driven by passion. 

For this reason, I chose to not repay death with more bloodshed. Although the spilling of blood often calls for blood to be spilt in return, I believed that Karl was not beyond retribution, and chose to show him mercy by not permanently condemning him to a life of suffering, either from punitive maiming, exile, or even his own execution. 

I will admit, however, that the fine I issued should have been larger. I personally have never held a great love for coin; any coin I do make is used to help sustain my clan and to promote the betterment of the kingdom. The fine of 20,000 mina I issued to Karl was at least twice as large as the greatest sum of currency I have ever owned. I realize now, while such a fine would have kept me in debt for many years to come, was but a trifle to a dwed who delights in money. 

Regarding Karl Blackroot’s Current Actions:

In my few dealings with Karl Blackroot, I cannot say I have seen many signs of his depravity. It is true that he is often in conflict with the leadership of the Grand Kingdom, it is almost always on behalf of the Hefrumm. His continuous fight for a better standard for his people and the preservation of their customs led me to believe that Karl Blackroot was, at the very least, an honorable dwed. I see now that I was wrong. 

Karl, upon receiving a lenient sentence for his crimes, has chosen instead to flaunt his crimes as a badge of honor. He uses the sentence given to him as a means to thrust himself into the attention of every dwed. He does this not to better society, as he may claim, but simply because he enjoys the attention of the masses! This has been made utterly apparent to me by the fact that Karl still boasts of how he killed one of his kin! Would someone who truly repented boast of their sins to the masses! I believe not. 

I see now that I was duped. I no longer believe that Karl Blackroot is capable of repentance, nor is he willing to learn from those mistakes he has made. I only hope that the coming religious trial will not have their eyes clouded as mine were. 

signature.png.6acab8ed373c8d1ef0fd8dc5278c3640.png

[!] writes back "hope you are wrong. My message was to the system not to you individually, i do see how it could be misinterpreted." 

Dwain reads and mumbles.

"If I were still a justices I woulda lopped off an arm for good measure"