[PK] A Loving Mother's End

Mewliet

LBqjaqB.jpg

(Lilith & Naera by Wolffram)

“...Something isn’t right…”

Lilith murmurs to herself, almost asking her body to produce some sort of explanation. She sat otherwise calmly within her home, illuminated by the dusky flicker of a half-spent candle. It mirrored her sudden unusual fatigue. Perhaps it is the change of seasons, she thought… but something stirred within her that revolted against that idea, suggesting that there was indeed something deeply, deeply wrong.

Nothing but an insect bite, she concluded after swatting at some flying nuisance. Where it pinched at her ivory skin, she swiftly dealt retribution with an open palm. At first, her own handprint was the most obvious lingering pink glow. Lilith surprised even herself at the reaction she produced, as if her senses were desperately trying to prevent what misfortune would come. Another hour, the handprint faded upon her exposed arm… Another sun sets.

“Something isn’t right.”

She was right. Lilith didn’t know for certain, but that bump from the winged pest just wouldn’t give. It began to scar her fair skin like tarnished silver, visible vessels branching away from the lesion as if grasping for some sort of relief from the rest of her flesh. The elfess felt a ring of fire over the bite that deeply disturbed her. It had no comfort or pleasant presence, but like that of a hungered, fiery swarm of locusts radiating further and further towards her core. 

Lightning shot up her arm and into her heart. The discomfort was inebriating and offered no hope of relent. She placed herself carefully within her bed and gazed towards the ceiling with a gnawing feeling in her stomach. Each time the fire erupted from her arm up her nerves, she descended further into the murky well of anxiety. Her pride forbade her from opening the door and seeking help, however… for what was a simple insect bite? She had endured worse.

“This too shall pass, with the morning dew…”

The elfess murmured to herself as her lids gave way to a mockery of sleep. Thrice she woke from the shadows, those stalking shadows that twisted and roiled like a summer tempest. She dreamt of fuzzy, impossible shapes in the new dizzying heat of her fever. Strange shades of maroon-blue painted the back of her eyelids, and when she finally erupted from her false-sleep she found herself drenched with perspiration. Lilith had to admit it to herself now, as she sits upon her bed examining the damp pallor of her body. She was suffering.

Knock, knock, knock. Someone was at her door this morning in Siramenor. Her face paled even further to a ghostly white; she must not be seen in such a state, refusing to seek help. Her conscience would not allow. 

“I’m… not feeling well, please return another time.”

Her voice was more rasp than a blade to the grindstone. It alarmed her, and she gripped her neck in panic. The speed of this illness was horrifying, even to her. It had only been three moons since her bite, or so she figured. Time had begun to blur in a nauseating cycle of light and dark; there was no order to the world around her. She took in a breath that felt like warm, suffocating smoke as she dragged herself to a mirror.

“...That’s it, then…”

She saw an insulting reflection of what she knew herself to be. Her skin had become so pale and dry she could see the rushing pulse of blood beneath the thin barrier.  Everything was so warm, so uncomfortably warm. Her eyes have dulled to a sickly moss color, lacking their proud luster and life that she had but only a few days ago. Lilith was like Autumn’s final leaf hanging on by a thread in the coming winter chill.

The longer she studied herself, the more she embraced the warmth. It revolted her, but she knew the threshold of her capability to fight this ailment had been exceeded. Should she had just sought help from that stranger at the door? Was it death itself knocking? Perhaps in denying it, she had inadvertently prolonged her existence within this small space that her world had become. It seemed to shrink with every minute; the shadows were closing in.

But that was alright, she thought, as she shambled back to her bed. She had brushed her silver locks to some semblance of decency and applied perfume. If she was going to pass from this plane to the next, why shouldn’t she do it with dignity? What was feeding her pride one last time before her soul drifted onto the next life? She laid a collection of notes and memoirs at her nightstand, where she prayed that each would find their respective recipients with the help of her loyal companion, Gweneviere the animii.

She thought of her husband, her beloved husband. It was truly not fair for him, and her heart broke as she imagined traversing into the realm of the dead without him. Pain welled in her throat, lamentation, and she shed her sorrow through what few tears she could produce.

Naera, her beloved child Naera… I suppose it is an experience all elves must endure, she thought, for those gifted with the curse of a long life. All living things must die, even mothers. She smiled at the thought of guiding her from the great beyond and felt comfort for the first moment in many. In memory, Naera’s mother would live on. That animii, too… Yes, she would be alright.

The shadow was close… It felt like she had walked straight into the fires of an impossibly deep forge. Wave after wave of fever chipped her sanity away, until at long last…

She let go.

All at once an ethereal relief ripped her from her mortal coil. Free, at last, like a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis. She ascended over her body, seeing just how small and weak she had become… Was she dreaming? Was death really so kind after all?

Whether or not it was real, she indulged in the soulful release of her suffering. Rising further past the homes, the trees, the clouds… off into the wild blue and deep into the stars beyond. Just as she conceded to drifting away forever, the constellations in her mind converged like a vortex of snowstorms into a great thunderbird. Great but gentle talons took her by the shoulders, and with an otherworldly cry the eagle spirit carried her soul away into the fabled emerald dream, that coveted forest of the dead.

“Goodbye, my friends…”

The Letters Left Behind

Delivered by a two foot tall animii with purple, faintly glowing eyes, ticking and whirring somberly wherever she went.

Elros

Spoiler

My beloved Elros,
       I thank you for the life you have given me; the years of laughter and happiness. For all you have taught me, and for all of the memories we've created - together. I have failed you as a wife in many ways, and I could never apologize enough, but always remember the love I carried for you. I do not wish for you to mourn my death, but instead - celebrate. Celebrate the years we spent together, the life we created, the love we shared. Share the memories with our precious daughter, so that my presence will always be with her. I will always be watching over you.
                                                                                                                                                                                         -Love always, Lilith

Naera

Spoiler

My beautiful daughter,

The day you were born, I knew you would be special. An elven child - such a rarity, and a twin at that. You are precious to me in many ways, and I will always love you more than I could ever express. I cannot say this enough; I am proud of you. For the woman you grew to be, for the ambition and curiosity you hold. You are smart, and brave, and I'm confident you will accomplish great things.
      I'm leaving Gweneviere with you, my greatest companion. She will be loyal to you, and will offer you hugs almost as warm as my own whenever you need them. Through her, I will always be with you - watching over you. You will never be alone, my precious child.

-Love, Haelun                                                                         

Alrin

Spoiler

Alrin,

It has been many years since we've spoken, and I hope you're doing well. If you're receiving this letter, it's because I have passed on. I'm writing for two reasons. Firstly, to apologize for everything that happened between us, and secondly to inform you that I wish to leave Gweneviere with Naera, so that she will have a part of me with her after I'm gone. She's been instructed to deliver these letters, one for Naera as well before taking her place at her side. She was special to me, and I hope she will be just as special to Naera.

-Lilith

Spoiler

OOC: Big thanks to @TwilightWolf for writing this for me <333 they did a wonderful job and I appreciate them ;-; 

Edited by UwUuSoWarm

It took  a little time for the news of Lilith's passing to reach Leilani. When it did, the world just stopped. Her eyes widened, whatever had been in her hands slipped from them and met the ground. However long, she just stood there, blue gaze zoned out upon the ground. Finally, her lips parted, and she managed to get a word out, her voice beginning to crack.

"Lilith..."

A breath was sucked in, a hand clasping over Leilani's mouth. Her shoulders shook, the tears flowing down her cheeks. Sobs were choked back and muffled by her hand. There was barely a moment before she heard foot steps approaching. Likely Lyemar. But the voice she soon heard was not that of her husband.

"Haelun? What's wrong?"

Her eyes shot up, blue meeting amber. Leilani froze, only for a few seconds as it dawned on her.

I have to break it to her that Lilith is gone.

There was a concerned, yet confused, look on Rosalia's face as she looked at her mother.

"Haelun, what is it?"

Another shuddering breath escaped Leilani, her hand lifting to rub down her face, before she was able to work up the courage to speak.

"Rosa.."

A frown began to tug at Rosalia's lips, the concern on her face only grew.

"Haelun? Is Lyemar okay?"

Leilani gave a nod of her head, her hand dropping to hang at her side.

"Lyemar's okay, dear."

A sigh of relief escaped the younger 'ame, but the concern didn't fully fade from Rosalia's features.

"What is it then, Haelun?" 

The thought of it was enough to bring another fresh round of tears welling up in Leilani's eyes. Her hand soon lifted again to clasp with the other, her weight shifting a little from foot to foot. It was a struggle to try to get the words out. Her mouth opened and closed a couple of times, but nothing came out.

"Haelun, what's going on?"

The frown on Rosalia's face only deepened, her mother's actions only prompting more concern from her.

"It's Lilith." 

Finally, Leilani was able to get something out. But any other words caught in her throat.

"Lilith? Is she okay?" 

Confusion twisted along Rosalia's face once more, head tilting to the side ever so slightly.

"Rosa, She's... She's gone." 

It took everything Leilani had to not buckle down and sob right there, though more tears did start to dribble down her cheeks. One hand pulled from the other to wipe at the corners of her eyes.

"What?"

One faint word, Rosalia's frame beginning to tremble, but it was slight for now. She'd heard wrong, right? Right...?

"She's gone."

It was quiet repeated confirmation from Leilani, who was still struggling to keep herself somewhat composed.

"No... No..."

Rosalia began to shake her head, her breathing picking up.

"Rosa..."

Leilani took in a deep breath, which was followed by a thick swallow. Her throat felt dry and heavy.

"She... She can't be gone! Sh.. She always comes back! No matter how long she's gone, she always comes back!"

Tears had began to freely flow down Rosalia's cheeks, rapid breaths and hiccups starting to wrack her body.

"Rosa, I... She..."

Leilani took steps forward so that she could lift her arms and wrap them around her daughter. Her own frame was shaking as she held her.

"She always comes back, Haelun..."

A broken and resigned whisper, and yet there was still a tiny bit of hope that clung to the words. Rosalia's face was buried in her mother's shoulder, sobs erupting from her.

"Not this time, Rosa."

Leilani whispered back to Rosalia, her cheek resting on the top of her head. Any attempt to hold herself back was stopped, and stream after stream of tears poured down her cheeks, dampening Rosalia's hair.