The Oath of Intention

Narthok

The Oath of Intention

Theoderic knelt before the masked keeper in the burnt fields of Luciensberg singing the air with the smell of stale smoke and the hiss of dampened coals.

“Keeper” the young scion of Ruric would growl sternly, his eyes level and cold, his demeanor unchanged despite the crisp bite of the spring morning. 

“So you have come?” The masked Keeper would query, his voice creaking with venerable age

“I would have you witness my oath. Would you present your Flamebrand?” he’d request

The Masked Keeper would say no more, an brief exhalation of amusement could be heard from beneath his mask before he’d bring his Flamebrand around before the waiting Theoderic. The six-foot length of ashwood would have a sturdy length of chain affixed to its top, a lantern bearing a healthy fire attached to the other end of the chain. Leaning the staff forward the chain would suspend the Lantern mere inches from Theoderic’s belt.

Theoderic would grasp a piece of vellum from his pocket, a length of archaic text had been artistically rendered upon its surface. Handing the scrollwork to the waiting keeper he would draw himself to his full height, waiting expectantly on the elderly Keeper.

“You may now kneel before the presence” The Keeper would grasp placing the piece of vellum between his palm and the haft of the Flamebrand before returning to his position.

Having heard what he had been waiting for the Theoderic would lower himself to a single knee. Lowering himself to kneel in the sacred presence of his God.

With his voice solemn and low, his posture unusually tense he would break his silence. His voice engulfed by sacred reverence belying his earlier more conversational tones. "Father, today I have come before you to declare my oath of intention. Your humble servant Keeper Amice stands here in witness of my oath, thus shall my words be forevermore affirmed before the Holy Hearth on Earth and Your divine presence.”

“Speak now your pledge” The Keeper would snarl, his earlier decrepit voice now overcome by an almost primal zealousness.

Theoderic would nod, his face grim as he’d begin to speak, his voice consumed with reverence “In the Fathers presence, I Theoderic, Ruric by way of Edvardsson do hereby pledge that my war is not with Norland, nor with the Norlandic people. But rather with the cancer that infests the heart of the Holy Kingdom. I shall harm no innocent and do no evil. Only those who raise their swords against me in service to the Usurper need fear the wroth of my warriors and I.” He’d exhale heavily, the effort of his oath seeming to have a great deal of him before continuing “Thus do I pledge, and thus shall it be. For I have faith. In the light.

The ancient Keeper would nod raising his staff and smashing its butt against the stone at its feet. “Thus it is witnessed.” he’d whisper before continuing “Theoderic, having made this pledge, do you acknowledge that its violation shall mean your ashing and upon your death your ash burial?” 

“I do” the kneeling Ruric would whisper, a tinge of fear tainting his voice at the prospect of such a fate

“Then rise child of Thoromir, that you may do the Father’s will” the old priest would say, his tone lightening from its prior savagery.

With solemn oaths made and solemn oaths taken the two would exchange exhausted smiles before departing together down the road. There were oaths to keep.

Stoic Uhfhild would kneel in silence as he witnessed Theoderic pass by him in the Northern hub. The lowly peasent paying his due respects to his true king before rising and rushing off after Theoderic towards wherever the Ruric would head to.