Reluctant Return

Juno.

Accompanying Song

354086131_reachingforsomethingunattainable.thumb.jpg.9cab7e0f9f624dc25f311d34b54f9884.jpg

“Realise.. that the wind does not ripple through your hair, or against your skin. There is only the wind. The soil is not cool against your toes, it is not soft against your legs.. there is only soil.. You are not Sonna, the Fox Druid.. you merely.. are.”

“I merely am..”

“Let go..”

In a flourish of emerald green and bright golden light, their souls left behind their mortal bodies and transcended realms, all for a daughter to be reunited with her mother and for sisters to smile at each other once again. Grandmother guided the young fox through the eternal pines, hands brushing against ferns in all too familiar terrain, until finally they found her, sitting as if she had been waiting for them all along.

“H-Haelun..?”

Hesitantly, daughter called out to mother, reached out to her, unsure if this was real, unsure of what to say or do. She was met with open arms, and the Fox ran to them, sobbing golden tears as she clung to her mother’s soul.

“I’ve thought about you all every day since I got here.”

Amongst tears then spewed proclamations of love and apologies, regret at their last conversation and how much she wished it could be different; how much the Fox wished she had gotten to say goodbye.

“I was never angry with you, my child. I was only afraid. I worried you would walk down a path I once followed. A path of anger, full of fury and rage. I never wanted that path for you.”

Oh how I walked down that path, and for how long I did such, blinded by grief and rage that I took out on whoever I encountered down such. I am so sad, so angry..

“I’m proud of the person you’ve become, Sonna. You are far from the person I met all those years ago, in our village. You’ve done beautifully.”

How can I deserve such praise, what have I done to warrant such. I am undeserving, I’ve done nothing.

“I’m so lost haelun.. I don’t know what I’m doing or what to believe.. I’m so tired and sad, I don’t know if I’ve done the right thing, or if I ever will.”

I am nothing.

“Nor did I in my life, my dear. All I could do was my best. But I was never alone. I had others to help me, to guide me. To strengthen me. And to pick me up when I fell down.”

But is my best good enough, will it ever be enough? What do I do if it's not?

“This is so hard..”

“It was never easy. And to tell you that it gets easier would make me a liar. But I can tell you not to bear these burdens alone. Your greatest strength. Any one person’s greatest strength is in our bonds with others. That is what carried me forward. That is why I lived as long as I did. Lean on others. Let them strengthen you. And when they themselves are weak, raise them up as well.”

Minutes turned to hour as the three spoke and cried, holding onto each other for as long as they could before their worldly duties pulled them back to their realm.

“Our time is close..”

No, I can’t, not yet. There’s so much more I need to tell her. So much more I need to apologize for.

“Everything is going to be okay, Sonna. I’m not going anywhere. One day, we will be reunited here. We’ll have tea, and I’ll show you all the wonderful places to see in this realm. You’re strong. Both of you. Stronger than I, in many ways. You’ll find your way.”

No, that’s not true. I’m not strong, not even close to stronger than you. Please.

“It’s time to go.”

I don’t want to go, I don’t want to leave. Please, don’t leave me again..

“I love you, haelun..”

“I love you, more than the sun loves the green grass, my dear. That will never change.”

“She’ll be here suika, here when it’s time for us to join her.”

I can’t..

“I am proud of them all. Every last one of them. Tell them I miss them. I love you both, so very much. Take your time, my beloved family.”

“I’ll tell Abelas I saw the both of you today.”

But I must..

The Fox repeated the names of everyone waiting for her at home; husband and son guarding her body, children waiting for her at home, family happily going about. She could not, and would not leave them, no matter how hard it was to leave her. 

And so the two left the Fae and returned to their mortal bodies, too exhausted and too full of sorrow to stand. Sonna was lifted and carried to bed by her dutiful husband and son, forever comforting her in times of need. 

And she fell asleep, reminiscing on Awaiti’s message to give to everyone.

“I recall my last message in my final will to be something along the lines of...anyone can lead. But that much is not as important now, I think. To those that would listen to me, to the echo of my spirit, I would urge them, above all else, be kind to one another. Be forgiving. Help one another, and look beyond our weaknesses and flaws. For if there is one thing I’ve learned, here in this place, it is that no grudge is worth taking to the grave.”

“Love each other. Wholly, unconditionally.”

“That is what I wish to be remembered by.”

I will never forget.

Spoiler

Thank you @Luciloo and @NomadGaia for such wonderful rp! <3

As Sonna returned the Amber druid would stand in silence.. His eyes would be locked upon his wife as she left the Fae ring. No words could be said as he watched her sob uncontrollably. After sometime of Sonna hugging Nivndil he would take her back to the home with the help of Amaesil, the words of Nivndil ringing in his ears "Sonna had a hard time returning, do not let her in Fae rings for the next year" fear of what could happen should she enter the rings once more now within his mind.

Little could be said as Sonna was laid within the nest - all that Amber elf could do was hold her hand tightly and place a gentle kiss on her forehead. "I love you.." that man would mumble under his breath as he watched her drift off to sleep, her gentle sobbing finally ending. Zolvan was thankful that she returned, thankful she would be here for the kids and for him. Gentle tears would fall as he thanked the Aspects for her return.

The elflord stood atop his towering keep above the Hinterlands. The trees bristled and the sun shone brightly across the land. In the courtyard, Wardens trained and laughed in the autumn breeze. Wrapped in his robes and high above the great and loving nation he called his own...

... Amaesil wept.

4baaf8da55bd8f6131f400cedbde41c1.png

[Art by kairosia]

The elder druid would sit down after the two druii vanished into the air, like smoke in the wind. She rested her hands on her legs, taking a deep breath as she felt the sun shine upon her face once again. Here, in this place, all her aches and pains had vanished. Her body unmarred by the ages as it had been in the mortal realm. Been even still, her heart ached for those that she had left behind. Sonna and Nivndil had left, but every part of her wanted to plead for them to stay here, at her side. But she knew lives had to be lived. They were needed elsewhere. In time, they would meet again- here in this place of eternal rest. Reaching down, she'd mark a fox's face, and an autumn leaf in the dirt, hoping to keep a piece of them here.

As time went on, she looked up to the place where the two of them had vanished, and thought.

I pray they remember me well. I will keep them in my heart fondly.