[Event] The Big Blue

ronin_champloo

Spoiler

THE BIG BLUE

Tenkar's Tavern: Amazing Tavern Art by Craig Brasco

Tenkar's Tavern: Amazing Tavern Art by Craig Brasco

[!] A distant cry follows a group as they’d stumble from tavern to tavern, heralding tales of a foe that they could not fell. Their garb was frosted, and snow seemed to cling onto them. Nonetheless, they spoke with warmth for life, happy that they lived to see another day. Their garb was jagged, and broken apart; steel ruptured and ripped.

‘Hear me, one an’ all if’ya seek riches and glory! Listen for I’ll tell this tale once, and only once! – to the great north, I peered with my one good eye; an ore of eld, one nay seen ‘fore since the land of Arcas, where my father was born. Howe’er there was some trouble, a group of some sort were already there, and they wanted t’ mine it ‘fore we did! We tried to surrender, but they already started firin’ their crossbows and magicks on us! We ran as fast as we could, and we were injured, but alive! – so listen well, if’ya want to mine’yer materials, be careful if the group is still there!

'However. . . if'ya know me, I trust m'gut better than any other, ya'know? I feel like. . . this was a good thin', not goin' to that place. I dunno, I just felt like somethin' could've happened to us.'

They wandered to another nation, spreading tales and stories of their fabled, but lost treasure. Perhaps there is some truth to this tale, perhaps not. Who knows.

A beautiful elven hoplite polished his bronze and gathers as many mining dwarves as he can find to come along with his lads! A brazen band hears about this missive!

Grimdal Irongut would have been riding around on his ram within the frigid waste for weeks. As he got home to Kal'Darakaan, a bunch of adventurers would recount their tales. He stroked his beard, still weary from the travelling, as he spoke to some of his associates about it. "An ore 'o old, aye, t'at wot t'ey said. Mhm, oi can t'ink 'o ah few, bu' et's dangerous. Mhm... Wot are meh waiten fer?The following morning a group of dwed, concealed by their thick coats, set out on their sleighs ands rams with their equipment and food.

Durin Hammerforge greets the man as he enters the Braided Beard tavern with a large smile before plunging into his travel back to extract a map. "doo ye mind pointin on tha map teh exactleh where it wos? Maybeh even use tha grid fo tha coordinates"

@chained man

[!] By the time that the Hammerforge found the tavern that they were last at, they were already gone -- seeking to foretell their tale onto many others.

Five adventures found The Big Blue, and sought to reap its treasures. What they found, instead, was pain and sorrow.

A group, favored by light and steel, sought to challenge The Big Blue. They were devoured, and the remaining limped to safety.

A band of sellswords, and flame, fought The Big Blue. They taught it the woe of fear, and it gave onto them; a song of death.

Ambition fought The Big Blue, and it was slain with the might of the descendants. Alas, some soon grew green; stained crimson for atop its corpse, laid cadavers of others.

With that, the tale finishes to an end, and the Basilisk's heart soon rotted with time.

Faded to obscurity.

[!] A distant cry follows a group as they’d stumble from tavern to tavern, heralding a tale of a battle well-fought. A hearty dwarf slapped his belly, smirking as he began towards a group of onlookers.

"The Great Big Blue stood atop a snowy throne,

Five adventures found The Big Blue, and sought to reap its treasures. What they found, instead, was pain and sorrow,

A group, favored by light and steel, sought to challenge The Big Blue. They were devoured, and the remaining limped to safety,

A band of sellswords, and flame, fought The Big Blue. They taught it the woe of fear, and it gave onto them; a song of death."

He leaned in close, his lone eye glinting with interest, joy, and regret.

"Ambition fought The Big Blue, and it was slain with the might of the descendants. Alas, some soon grew green; stained crimson for atop its corpse, laid cadavers of others.

With that, the tale finishes to an end, and the Basilisk's heart soon rotted with time.

Faded to obscurity."

The man leaned back on his chair; fingers drawn near onto the eye-patch that was donned. He scoffed lightly, though his mood was bemused. A hand tapped at the arbalest to his side.

'Pity really. I wanted to kill Ol' Big Blue, maybe next time -- old friend.'

OOC NOTES:

There ends The Big Blue eventline, I hope everyone had fun with it at least as it was the creation of a 2-hour long schizoid VC with a friend. This event was done due to me wanting to research and delve deeper into what makes an enjoyable, and fair -- yet difficult -- event.

These are my findings for other ST, or event-makers, to use;
- Death-Saves are vital for people to have fun, as it allows them a way to go against insta-deaths or unfair situations. It definitely made people more receptive to taking damage as there was a chance for them to go against it, and deal damage to The Big Blue in a gambling kind of way. Funnily enough, if anyone Death-Save'd for luck to aid them; I was going to have the Mysterious Stranger, from FALLOUT, use a silver arbalest to distract it.

- Emoting the 'prep' of an attack helps as well; in the eventline, I never did an attack without attacking, prepping or doing some environmental indicator. I tended to do 1-3.

- I severely underestimated the item-use of players, and I'm incredibly impressed at the ingenuity of people. I suggest using the environment against people; this can be darkness, sight, or even details to make them schizoid.

- Emoting details in #w, #q to whoever may notice it helps for a more immersive event. It even allows some people who aren't good at CRP to shine; I suggest doing this A LOT more.

- Holy shit, people bring so many meat shields. Shred, but not too much; some of them were brought there without knowing their role. We're all here to have a good time, and prepping  a day to be slain in 2-3 emotes is so punishing. Don't be afraid to kill, but make it fair. There's always someone behind the screen, remember that.

- USE mechanical sight for what people could see, and explain to them; what they'd be able to see in /w or #w for a more immersive experience, also lets 'scouts' or people have some use in events. Etc, everyone's focused on the monster while a few others are looking at a place where it can come from.

BLOOPERS:

So for the Death-Save system, the way that I did it was I'd ask people to roll /20, and I'll roll in #w to combat theirs. Here's some of the stuff in the background, I didn't GYAZO them all.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/958873516109869078/959578390954901534/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/958873516109869078/959578452992880690/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/958873516109869078/959610437022928936/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/958873516109869078/959610454592856134/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/958873516109869078/961383616582123570/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/958873516109869078/961390798706978826/unknown.png