Knights Of The North

Casamir

a few more

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/DarthMitch/2011-12-04_172716.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/DarthMitch/2011-12-04_172659.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/DarthMitch/2011-12-04_172657.png

the keep we have on the server is 75 wide and 120 long, I want it 95 wide atleast and about 100 long, it'll be nice, I suggest checking out the server via hamachi and taking a look.

a few more

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/DarthMitch/2011-12-04_172716.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/DarthMitch/2011-12-04_172659.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/DarthMitch/2011-12-04_172657.png

the keep we have on the server is 75 wide and 120 long, I want it 95 wide atleast and about 100 long, it'll be nice, I suggest checking out the server via hamachi and taking a look.

Personally, and not meaning to sound harsh, I think that the floating tower looks a bit odd, the ramparts on the walls aren't big enough, imposing enough nor advanatgeous to us enough and the gatehouse is a bit on the scrawny side. I will try to download hamachi and have a look.

Personally, and not meaning to sound harsh, I think that the floating tower looks a bit odd, the ramparts on the walls aren't big enough, imposing enough nor advanatgeous to us enough and the gatehouse is a bit on the scrawny side. I will try to download hamachi and have a look.

how do i join your hamachi? i have it downloaded and i need to type in the network id, however the ip you gave doesnt work, s it because you aren't running it or is it something i have done?

The hamachi room is knights of the north and password is lotc the server ip is the one I posted. I believe it's running on my home computer but I'm not positive I'm at work at the moment. The hamachi should be up as well but I am not sure as I said I'm at work and not at my house.

The hamachi room is knights of the north and password is lotc the server ip is the one I posted. I believe it's running on my home computer but I'm not positive I'm at work at the moment. The hamachi should be up as well but I am not sure as I said I'm at work and not at my house.

((It says "this network does not exist", maybe your computer has gone onto standby or something? Also, after looking at castle 2 and realising that we only have 2 bedrock plots, I was thinking that we could take away the outer curtain, using the layout they have for the inner keep thing as the outer curtain, while turning the top bit into the actual keep. I like the open plan/courtyard nature of it and I think that if the buildings connect to the walls it would look pretty awesome.(2 bedrock plots means that we would have a rectangle shape, not a square.))

if we have 2 100x100 plots, we will have a ridiculous amount of space by the way. Place down a rectangle of stone in the dimensions of 200x100 and you will see. I doubt we will have any lack of room.

Yeah I turned off my comp before I left. I will have the server and hamachi up again at 5:30 pst (-8). That will be the earliest I don't get home till 5. ))

I don't know why we need to have a giant gatehouse. Wood is easier to break than stone. I like things to be grand, huge and altogether magnificent but we are not going for looks it was made for defense and it will be in the remote north. If it was as close to civilization as our keep now is I would suggest making it grand and soaring. If we wanted to make it authentic and to scale it would have to be 30-45 feet high walls and 8-20 feet thick. I think we should scale it down to about half so have the wall be around 15-20 blocks high with the towers being 30-40 blocks high. I also think having the wall 10-12 thick may be to much so I say stay toward the Lower end and make it around 6-8 blocks thick. Most authentic castles had places in the towers that hung over the walls so you could see the outside as well as the inside. I like the idea of having the inside of our walls hollow because we can put archers there. The downside to this is that the walls are not as strong. We could also go traditional with them and fill them with something. Such as gravel or sand. I don't know what you mean by floating towers. All of the towers are on the ground. I also strongly believe in having an inner wall and an outer wall because if we have our farms and farmer houses inside the outer wall but outside the inner wall then the farmers have a place to retreat to. Traditionally the inner wall was larger than the outer wall so it would better protect the royalty. I believe our inner wall should be 20-30 blocks high and it should go all the way around our keep. If we are attacked the farmers can drive there flock inside the keep and will be better protected there. If we have no inner wall they have no where to retreat to. I think the actual keep should be large with multiple floors. Large enough to hold everyone if need be along with animals. I believe that inside the keep there should be a hidden path leading outside the castle somewhere we could send the villagers if need be. We could also use this for messengers in a time of war. I believe that we should have rock baskets on the walls. (( gravel on blocks that can be removed with pistons so the gravel falls on whoever is underneath.)) i also believe that some buildings should connect to the walls but the larger houses and shops could stand alone.

Signed

Sir Animeius

(this was all typed on my phone so the spelling and grammar could be bad.))

This kind of contradicts what I just said about the gatehouse. I said it wrong I believe the gatehouse or Barbican(( love that word)) should be enclosed and be on top of the gate. You should be able to shoot down into the gate. With a great Barbican it protects the most valuable and vulnerable part of our wall, the gate.

Urban areas outside the city walls, so-called Vorstädte, were often enclosed by their own set of walls and integrated into the defense of the city. These areas were often inhabited by the poorer population and held the "noxious trades". In many cities, a new wall was built once the city had grown outside of the old wall. This can often still be seen in the layout of the city, for example in Nördlingen, and sometimes even a few of the old gate towers are preserved, such as the white tower in Nuremberg. Additional constructions prevented the circumvention of the city, through which many important trade routes passed, thus ensuring that tolls were paid when the caravans passed through the city gates, and that the local market was visited by the trade caravans. Furthermore, additional signaling and observation towers were frequently built outside the city, and were sometimes fortified in a castle-like fashion. The border of the area of influence of the city was often partially or fully defended by elaborate ditches, walls and/or hedges. The crossing points were usually guarded by gates or gate houses. These defenses were regularly checked by riders, who often also served as the gate keepers. Long stretches of these defenses can still be seen to this day, and even some gates are still intact. To further protect their territory, rich cities also established castles in their area of influence. A famous example of this practice is the Romanian "Dracula Castle" at Bran/Törzburg, which was intended to protect Kronstadt (today's Braşov

This is a good thing to read about outer and inner walls.

Main feature of any castle we will need these.

Outer defenses

Moat

Walls (inner and outer)

Towers (inner and outer)

Gatehouses, drawbridges and barbicans

Inner defenses

Baileys or wards

Living quarters and support buildings

Keeps or donjons

Great halls

Chapels

Stables

Wells

Workshops

Wall enhancements

Crenellations: Rectangular blocks alternated with openings across the top of a wall or tower. Soldiers could hide behind the blocks and shoot through the openings.

Walkways: Some walls had walkways built into the stone, while others had wooden walkways on the inside of the wall where soldiers could stand guard and defend the walls during battle.

Hoardings: Covered wooden overhangs that ran along the top of a wall. The French later used stone hoardings called machicoulis. Hoardings had holes in the flooring from which soldiers could shoot arrows or dump various objects (rocks, hot tar, boiling water, hot oil) on attackers.

Breteches: Small, overhanging rooms on French castles, similar to hoardings, that jutted out from the wall. Breteches were made of stone, had windows or arrow loops, and also had a floor opening. A breteche extending above the top of a wall was called a bartizan.

Arrow loops: Narrow slits or openings in walls and hoardings through which archers and crossbowmen could fire arrows. Many arrow loops were wider on the inside and tapered toward the outside of the wall; this design gave the archer a wide field of view.

Embrasures: Rotating cylinders with an arrow loop that were built into the wall or tower and could give an archer a very wide field of view.

I know that is a lot to read but it is important In building a proper castle that we can be proud of.

Perhaps we should incorporate a firing step as seen in some castles and used in the WW1 trenches to allow soldiers to move freely around on the walls with no risk of being shot, yet they can climb the step and begin to fire too. I personally think that if we have 200x100 blocks worth of castle, we should really consider a gatehouse the size that I made mine, bearing in mind it only took up 20 blocks out of the 100 for the wall. I like the amount of research that you have done and I especially like the idea of having murder holes with gravel. We have to bear in mind, however, that although we do have 100x200 blocks, we cannot afford to plonk the keep bang in the centre as this will leave 25ish locks either side, not nearly enough for anything and extremely impractical. What i was saying before is that the desgin 2 is going sort of what i was thinking of, bar the perimeter defenses stretching all the way round. They should only go round the front so as to maximise room for farming etc. In my personal opinion, I think that ramparts are THE most important thing for our castle as they are our best defense. If we sacrifice height of the wall and width of the wall, we will consequently be losing the ability to fit effective defenses without making them look top heavy. Please also bear in mind that most of the inhabitants of this castle won't be 'peasants' but rather knights. Take this into consideration when thinking about how housing will work as I doubt a knight will want to live in a ramshack hut or a tiny flat in a barracks.

Just to offer some sort of out of the box comment, what about a castle mounted onto the side of a cliff?

Just to offer some sort of out of the box comment, what about a castle mounted onto the side of a cliff?

Wouldnt work due to the fact that 1: People could scale the cliff, and jump into out base.

2: we would need support coming up from the ground

I like what we have so far, i think size wise, fanciness, and defense wise it's decent, (( yes the walls are kind of thin but with the slots people can fire out and attack through at people breeching )) The gate house we have now I think is nice, maybe make it a bit longer (( not width but make the distance between the front and rear gate larger )) There will be a inner wall, this wall is what keeps our civilians safe, our keep must be walled because going with old time thinking (( royalty or Military and civilians shouldn't be mixed but kept apart )) There will be a moat, with either lava or just a large drop (( with a way to retrieve items )) I'm thinking the between the gates section will be netherrack as usual, but that just inside the gates will be a bridged section of land (( going left to right from one tower entrance to the other )) as a secondary defence. (( or Tertiary defence if you count the gate and netherrack )) I am thinking about ground burried ( hooked up to pistons to pop up ) dispensers with arrows inside the town it's self, There will be possibly dispensers mounted into the walls (( like gun emplacements )) I really want to use dispensers, I'm not one for lava and the mess it leaves honestly. There will also be some portcullises and gatehouses along the main roads inside town, Allowing us to cut of an advance or fortify a retreat, I had plans already for an escape tunnel hatch saferoom of sorts anyways. Most structures will be stone I believe as like any good northmen knows, wood is for burning to stay warm not for making houses out of. Thinking of a sewer system in the town as well (( defended though as I don't want our enemies using it against us. )) The town won't be an open city so much, not like any city, it'll be strictly for tradesmen and women of our order, I want shops to encourage trade and economic growth though as our order will need minas for supplies and we will have excess materials.