A STRUCTURAL PROPOSAL

critter

A STRUCTURAL PROPOSAL

NjctiYv.png

Issued by the

GRAND LORD OF HANSETI-RUSKA

On this 6th day of Joma ag Ugmund of 476 E.S. 

The Marriage of the Monarchs and the regal, indomitable spirit of Her Majesty Sofia of Hyspia have seen nothing short of a surge of life throughout the Courts. We have opened new positions; heard new ideas; found, with every day, a new wave of talent and passion among our people, and now find ourselves with the mounting task of how best to apply it -- particularly as the threats abroad encroach, and our lands become shadowed.

Thus, I propose the following Structure.

BIG_O_L_CHART.png

The Positions of Grand Lord as the shepherd of court tradition and custom; the Custodian as overseer of the Servantry and hand to the Royal Household; the Chamberlain as the events-master and hand to the Capital’s festivities, or the spirit thereof in these uncertain times, remain unchanged.

The bulk of this proposal lays, instead, in the Masters and Mistresses of Courtly Pursuits and their duties; particularly as the Court faces the loss of its physical realm and a time of great upheaval throughout Almaris; and the establishing of the following:

COURTIERS of the ARTS

Gifted artists ready to share their craft.

SCHOLARS of the ABSTRACT

Aspiring students and practitioners of the Arcane crafts.

ATTENDANTS of the HUNT

Those who wish to learn of the Hunt's Etiquette and caring for the wilds.

ASSISTANTS to the PANTRY

Cooks who wish to bring the craft far beyond the kitchen.

ASSISTANTS to the ROBES

Rising apprentice tailors and seamstresses.

These are not to be trivial titles, doled out for the sake of self-righteous preening. They should be viewed as stepping-stones to the writ of Haeseni history; positions for those of bright minds and talent, though both too old for wardships and too green to run at higher ranks; those who aspire to the Court, but have, until now, yet to have a position carved out for them, and in carving that position, I further hope to prevent a bloated system as we strive to accommodate the many bright minds who have emerged in our search.

Quite like the Mistress or Master of the Robes has had recognized assistants, this would see each Master or Mistress allowed to oversee a retinue of their own courtiers. While the Master of the Arts, for instance, may dabble in and arrange matters of all arts, their Courtiers may be individuals recognized for some particular skill in a more specific facet of the arts; for instance, a renowned music teacher. By recognizing these individuals by a collective title, the general hierarchy of the court remains intact, but their talents and willingness to share them for the enrichment of the Haeseni people may be empowered, and used to bolster the efforts of their respective Head of Pursuit. The gifted musician may host lessons on traditional song; an Attendant to the Hunt might tend to the dressing of game after the noble festivities; an Assistant to the Pantry might compile regional recipes for publication, now with the fullest support of the Court and in direct communication with those further endeavoring the relevant cultural efforts within the Realm. 

Furthermore, these positions lay out a clear path for Wards within these Pursuits to ascend after coming of age, and encourage healthy competition for the posts of Mistress and Master among them -- or an avenue for those who do not wish to be keeper-of-all-trades, but simply masters of one, and supporters to the rest.

In general summary, this proposal serves to put to paper what is already finding itself in practice, while preventing a sudden swell of titles in the Court’s efforts to recognize, support, and uplift Haeseni talent. This revitalization of the Courts in these dire times of strife must, in my humble opinion as the Queen’s appointed, serve to protect the Traditions, the Culture, the Spirit of our people. A system which depends not on the Palace but on those People will, I hope, keep us disciplined and united in the face of challenges to come.

His Excellency, Fabian Otto Kortrevich, Grand Lord of Hanseti and Ruska

BFRS8yw.png

Spoiler

only orgcharts will get us through the apocalypse

Marija looks at the notice and squints at it only to point out. "It is missing Court Banka. Her Majesty seemed to make it quite different from Mistress of the Pantry. We'd work together but are seperate things." Walking over to the office she knocks on the door politely and once let in she places a hand where her heart is before providing a curtsy. Straightening up she clears her throat awkwardly. "Pardon me, your Excellency. I read your structural notice and realized that my position isn't even on there along the Courtiers. The title that the generous Queen gave me was Court Bakna. Unless I am wrong I believe it should be listed since I plan to do more than just baking and wish to ward or take on others under my wing to learn and help provide for the Kingdom." She gently spoke with concern. Her hands neatly folded in front of her.

12 minutes ago, CelestialBoba said:

Marija looks at the notice and squints at it only to point out. "It is missing Court Banka. Her Majesty seemed to make it quite different from Mistress of the Pantry. We'd work together but are seperate things." Walking over to the office she knocks on the door politely and once let in she places a hand where her heart is before providing a curtsy. Straightening up she clears her throat awkwardly. "Pardon me, your Excellency. I read your structural notice and realized that my position isn't even on there along the Courtiers. The title that the generous Queen gave me was Court Bakna. Unless I am wrong I believe it should be listed since I plan to do more than just baking and wish to ward or take on others under my wing to learn and help provide for the Kingdom." She gently spoke with concern. Her hands neatly folded in front of her.

Fabian - appreciative of Marija's etiquette, though she would find him with a quill-pen protruding from his hair, ink down his shirt, and otherwise in disarray - he hears her out, though paws for a copy of his chart and the Writ of Appointment establishing the Court Bakna.

"Ah," he says, twisting it. "...Huh. Well. - .." The chart is upside-down, which he rectifies. "...Hm. I suppose you could - be something of an oversight for ve palace chefs, ai, or - well, most simply vy would hold vyr title as a carry-over within ve Pantry .. Ah, Godan, I've forgotten Khazya - alright, ah, I doniet suppose, Lady Colborn, vy would be so kind to offer some patience while I meet with ve Koenas and - straighten this oversight right out. Szam, for ve inconvenience, quite dearly - vy do make an excellent cake.."

7 minutes ago, critter said:

Fabian - appreciative of Marija's etiquette, though she would find him with a quill-pen protruding from his hair, ink down his shirt, and otherwise in disarray - he hears her out, though paws for a copy of his chart and the Writ of Appointment establishing the Court Bakna.

"Ah," he says, twisting it. "...Huh. Well. - .." The chart is upside-down, which he rectifies. "...Hm. I suppose you could - be something of an oversight for ve palace chefs, ai, or - well, most simply vy would hold vyr title as a carry-over within ve Pantry .. Ah, Godan, I've forgotten Khazya - alright, ah, I doniet suppose, Lady Colborn, vy would be so kind to offer some patience while I meet with ve Koenas and - straighten this oversight right out. Szam, for ve inconvenience, quite dearly - vy do make an excellent cake.."

Marija looked a bit perplexed at his person and took note of the distress only to softly smile and nod. "But of course I can wait. I also gift you a lovely tea blend of almond black tea with a small jar of spiced honey to go with it." She gathers the items from her iconic basket and sets them away from the paper work onto his desk. Stepping back she curtsies once more and straightens up. "I look forward to the placement and hope you do rest well. Gudi natt." Her tone full of warmth before she'd excused herself and continued to the Colborn's apparment to rest.

11 hours ago, CelestialBoba said:

Marija looked a bit perplexed at his person and took note of the distress only to softly smile and nod. "But of course I can wait. I also gift you a lovely tea blend of almond black tea with a small jar of spiced honey to go with it." She gathers the items from her iconic basket and sets them away from the paper work onto his desk. Stepping back she curtsies once more and straightens up. "I look forward to the placement and hope you do rest well. Gudi natt." Her tone full of warmth before she'd excused herself and continued to the Colborn's apparment to rest.

A letter would arrive for Marija in the coming days, delivered by a Kortrevich courier-boy along with a spring of white daffodils; a sign of happiness and renewal. 

Dear Lady Marija Colborn, Court Baker,

My apologies once more for the oversights in my Proposal, and a sincere thank-you for the jar of honey, which is lovely and now all but essential to my daily routine. 

After much Conference with her Majesty, the Post of Court Baker shall be placed betwixt that of Assistant and Mistress; free to hold your own Wards and instruct the Chefs of the Servantry, though ultimately beneath the Purview of the Pantry as a whole. I leave it to you and Nona Fable to determine your exact division of duties and corresponding chain of command within the Pantry; she is a most accommodating woman and not one for Hierarchy, so I am sure you will not find yourself particularly restricted by the good Mistress. 

Your position, as granted by their Majesties in recognition of your most impressive skills, shall be the only instated in such a way as the Courts continue to grow. There is such a thing, after all, as too many cooks in the kitchen; and all service is good and worthy service. 

Thank you again for your grace in these burdensome times. I do most look forward to how you shall wield your Post, and hope this general compromise satisfies. If you have further concerns regarding the Proposed Structure or any other matter, do not hesitate to seek me out.

Sincerely, His Excellency,

Fabian Otto Kortrevich

Grand Lord of Hanseti and Ruska 

A revised copy of the FABIANITE CHART would be thus attached, and posted throughout the Palace.

THE_COURTS_of_477.png

Her Royal Majesty, the Queen Sofia of Hyspia hardly had a chance to read the structural proposal when the shouting began. She'd been hosting a tour of the palace to her ward, Lord Walter Weiss, heir to the Viscounty of Novkursain. The click of her heels sounded as she strode forth along the halls, little Walter fast in tow as the duo broke on outside and into the fresh night air, where her gaze landed upon the Grand Lord Fabian Kortrevich and his Secretary, the Lord Alasdair Baruch.

Immediately, she had to wonder, if you have upset the baker, why have you not fixed it as of yet?

All of this over a mix-up and interrupting her time with her ward and nephew to boot!