THE EDICT OF SLESVIK

Mio

VE EDYKT I SLESVIK

THE EDICT OF SLESVIK

T6r1Pmk3CMMrfPgKMJVglqGhWQpqr-BeMkbjsQ-APEX7LQ1rD4OpRoA_cwBVKDIQjnZj9H5XcF_XD41hxlJopDISViPaVyPj60oklL9YYSf0A9NkFQyiDdDl6BZN8fAZfqzl0tHXwmcId6b7ZO65tew

KRUSAE ZWY KONGZEM

Issued by

THE CROWN

Naf zwy 5th hag i Grona ag Droba i 485 E.S.

VA BIRODEO HERZENAV AG EDLERVIK,

Since the creation of our world, the existence of order and law has always been a constant. The knowledge of right and wrong is innate to the descendant mind, and it is our duty to foster a realm where the actions of those who act in wrong go punished. The Kingdom of Haense has evolved greatly in regard to our law codex the HAURUL CAEZK since our escape from the Orenian Empire. Yet there is still a remnant presence that plagues our justice system that lingers from this time - the plague of bureaucracy.

It is with these justice reforms that we seek to cut away with the Imperial processes and fluff, returning to ways of yore to ensure the distribution of justice is concise and just.

We do therefore proclaim the following:

On Structure

I. The Crown’s Justices of the Realm shall be judges of the law of the Kongzem, and shall henceforth consist of the following:

a. The Crown of Haense as the primary Justice of the Kingdom; all power is derived from the Crown.

b. The Lord Palatine as the secondary Justice of the Kingdom, standing as the King’s Hand.

c. The Lord Marshal as the tertiary Justice of the Kingdom, serving justice on behalf of the military.

d. Crown-appointed Jovenaars as the quaternary Justices of the Kingdom, serving justice on behalf of the Crown.

e. The Peers of the Realm as the quinary Justices of the Kingdom, serving solely within their respective lands.

On Procedure

I. The Justices shall receive pleas from the accuser and accused, and shall proceed as follows:

a. The Brotherhood of St. Karl, the Order of the Crow, or personal bannermen shall, at the behest of the presiding Justice, bring both parties before the throne of Hanseti-Ruska.

b. The presiding Justice shall hear the grievances of both parties, and weigh the validity of their accounts. 

c. The presiding Justice may take into account other factors they deem necessary to make a just judgment.

d. The presiding Justice shall proclaim the defendant either guilty or innocent.

e. The presiding Justice shall proclaim their punishment upon a guilty defendant or a dishonest plaintiff.

i. The presiding Justice must personally render any punishment by their own hand.

II. A trial by combat is the right of any Haenseman. Such may be requested only by a Haeseni defendant in all cases excepting those of crimes of treason. 

a. The defendant must personally fight in their trial by combat, against a champion chosen by the presiding Justice.

i. The champion must be chosen from those present during the trial.

b. A trial by combat shall be fought with mundane steel.

c. A trial by combat shall end only when one party yields, or is otherwise unable to continue.

d. Any who interfere in a trial by combat shall be summarily executed.

III. In the event a higher Justice wishes to intervene or preside over a trial, the actively presiding Justice is to promptly overturn the trial to the intervening Justice.

On Regulation of Behaviors

I. Should a party or adjacents believe a punishment given by a Justice of the Realm unjust, they may petition the Crown about the perceived abuse of power.

II. The Crown shall, if believing there to be a substantial case made, call for Justices to gather where the morality of the punishment shall be discussed by a trial.

III. Should the Crown find that a Justice of the Realm has abused their powers to unjustly punish a party, they shall receive that same unjust punishment.

IV JOVEO MAAN,

His Royal Majesty, Aleksander II, by the Grace of Godan, King of Hanseti and Ruska, Grand Hetman of the Army, Hochmeister of the Order of the Crow, Prince of Bihar, Dules, Lahy, Muldav, Solvesborg, Slesvik and Ulgaard, Duke of Carnatia and Vanaheim, Margrave of Korstadt, Rothswald and Vasiland, Count of Alban, Siegrad, Werdenburg,  Alimar, Baranya, Graiswald, Karikhov, Karovia, Kaunas, Kavat, Kovachgrad, Kvasz, Markev, Nenzing, Torun, Toruv, Valdev, and Werdenburg, Viscount of Varna, Baron of Esenstadt, Kraken’s Watch, Kralta, Krepost, Lorentz, Rytsburg, Buck, Thurant and Astfield, Lord of the Westfolk, Protector and Lord of the Highlanders, etcetera.