A Farewell (for now) from Ulrich von Minitz

woodylego

Carrack - World History Encyclopedia
A Farewell from Ulrich

Even in the early afternoons, Ulrich has found himself falling asleep at his desk. The issues with the Franks have weighed heavily on his mind for quite some time. It has been years since he has settled into Aevos, yet he still feels the crashing and swaying of the ocean from the boat. He has wrestled with losing his home, Minitz for some time, he is even behind on his Bardmancy studies. He notes, while fluttering his eyes more to stay awake, to visit the College and get back to —

A somewhat loud knock was heard outside his door. Curious, as ever, he walked toward it, assuming maybe it was Karl asking to write another missive, or Brandt ready for a philosophy show-down. 

No one was there. Not even the air looked disturbed. It was quite odd, but then he noticed his mailbox slightly ajar. Letters to his home have been dry, so this was particularly strange. Inside his mailbox, a letter in a golden envelope. 

“Such pageantry” he said aloud. He opened it up and began to read this very strange letter, supposing maybe it was from one of his Bard friends, or maybe the medics knowing the only way to reach him was through fanfare. 

“Dear Ulvixeor,”

Already, Ulrich stopped reading. Ulvixeor? Just Ulvxieor? While it was true, Ulvixeor was his birth name, he has gone by Ulrich for decades now, and even then, Ulvixeor is typically followed by his moniker “the Curious” now his stage-name. The last time someone might have called him by only his first name was his old mentor. The prospect of his mentor reaching out excited him, but he was not known for his elegant letters on richly paper. So then…

“...the years have gone so fast. I am almost forgetting what you look like. That aside for now, I am less enthused to inform you that our father has passed away…”

Ulrich clutched the letter tight at the mention of “our father.” He read on with stress creeping up his throat and beading into balls of sweat down his temple. 

“Your exile and disownment is hence annulled with his death, as is my right now as the Duke of bbbbbbbb…” 

The words don’t appear legible in his head. He knows exactly what they say, but he has trained his mind for so long to forget them, and never say them, that it erases the land which he is from.

“Please, my brother, come back home and help us settle the funeral. Believe it or not, in his old age, I could see father deeply regret his decision to banish you. But, stalwart as he was, did nothing to pursue the end of his torment. I can say more once you are home. Write back soon as you get this, and let me know your decision. I understand if you have no desire to be back home, but I mean it when I say Filveor and I long to reunite our lonely three.

Loving regards,

Duke Davieor Holtward, of ….”

But home was Minitz. Home is Kanunsberg, his lute, his friends, the people he held a sword for, the people who had fallen for him. Home was Saxton’s basement when he first walked through the gates of Minitz. Home is now Draussen I. How dare his brother ever think home was elsewhere? Yet, how could he know? Ulrich knew it wasn’t his brother’s fault…

What scared him the most, was how Ulrich wasn’t all opposed to returning to the place he used to call home. There were loose ends to tie up, that he knew. Now was his chance to do it. For some time, Ulrich has felt his age a little more every decade. Who knew when he could be welcomed back again? Ulrich also didn’t know how long this journey would take. He would have to leave behind so many people who became his real family. Will they ever forgive him for this? Would he be welcomed back to Kanunsberg with just as much open arms as when he first entered Minitz? The more he thought about it, the more he knew it was time to see his brother once more. Although he was afraid the people of Kanunsberg would so quickly revoke his claim to their blood and heritage, he remembered something he wrote,

But Minitz was never the floorboards or stone.

Never the brick roads nor husks of wheat.

It follows our people where e’er the wind has blown,

It was never the land, but instead our marching feet.

With all his might, he trusted that his people would understand. He wasn’t going back to undo all he has done, instead he is going to show his brothers the new family he founded along the way, and how they would be with him at that very moment.

Ulrich “Ulvixeor Holtward” von Minitz picked up his quill and laid down a piece of parchment, beginning the letter

“Dear brother,

Yes, it has been too long. You and Filveor have much to learn. For starters, I do not go by Ulvixeor any longer. Call me Ulrich von Minitz…”

[!] A chat box appears: 

#LOOC: I will be pausing my RP here as Ulrich for a bit, starting around the 25th of July, as I go into my new semester in school and some other new life things. Feel free to DM my discord if you’d like to chat still! @woodylego 

Much love LOTC <3

Edited by woodylego