Warm Weather 'Ame, Cold Weather Wolf: Nalinor's Trial Notes.

Snow’s Maiden, 169 SA: I went to the frozen north of Aevos for my trial of gaining an animal's trust. My last time here, I and a small group of my kin were attacked by a pack of starving wolves, so I knew where to begin after getting this trial. After a few days in the bitter cold, I had been tracking an elk for an hour. Once I had finally hunted the creature down and an arrow struck true, I heard a low growl. I turned to see a grown timberwolf hunting the same elk. I stayed back while he pounced on the now-dead elk and slowly started to approach after he had begun eating. After noticing my presence, he began baring its teeth and barking at me to scare me off. I remained steady, extending my arm out and palm open to show the timberwolf I meant him no harm. I began to circle him, still keeping him an arm’s length away as I began to harvest some meats and pelts from the elk. I had harvested what I could from it, and once the wolf had his full, I followed the timberwolf back to his den at a distance. I made a small offering of excess meat to gain the wolf’s trust and remained nearby for several days. Never interfering with the wolf and what it was doing, nor how it hunted. Merely making myself known each time he returned or joined as he went out to hunt. Toward the end of the month, I returned to Nevaehlen to bask in the warmth of my home and reflect on what this month had taught me.

The Amber Cold, 170 SA: Nearly a year later, I finally returned up north. Relying on my makeshift map, I returned to where I had recorded the wolf's den. I set up my camp nearby and waited until he had returned home. Well after sunset, I heard snow crunching as it was being walked upon. I looked up from my sketchbook to see the wolf’s return, accompanied by another timberwolf, dragging a doe back to the den for dinner. They were defensive once they had seen me, once again baring their teeth towards me. Using the same method I’d learned previously, I was able to refamiliarize the male wolf with me and make myself known to his female mate. I repeated the technique I’d used nearly a year ago, camping near the den. I was more active on hunts with both of them this month. Tracking and working together to take prey down, splitting the fair share of spoils from the hunts in terms of meat. Once again, towards the end of the month, I trudged through the tundra back home.

Malin’s Welcome, 170 SA: I returned north again this month. Needing a small break from the world, I packed my things and hit the road, curious what I would stumble upon this time in the den. As I began setting my camp up near the den, I was approached by the male timberwolf who seemed to take an active interest in what I was doing. I doubt he understood fully, but the actions and movements seemed to hold his attention. I did my best afterward to demonstrate in a way the wolves could maybe understand that my camp was not too different from their den, but after a while, they lost interest, and I was left feeling, admittedly, a bit ridiculous. Nonetheless, they again welcomed me back. Acknowledging my presence, partaking in spoils of the hunt. However, the winds were not in our favor near the end of this month. Sharp, bitter winds sliced at my skin. I was pelted with snow and frozen rain almost constantly. But with these difficulties came a new development with my wolven companions. In the middle of the night, they entered my tent. It seemed the den and each other could not provide enough warmth. So they decided the best source would be the ‘ame sleeping just outside. I welcomed the warmth that came with two adult timberwolves as I pulled my blankets tighter and tried to get some rest. In the morning, I had a brief respite from the icy storms. I used this time to pack my camp, spend my morning eating with the wolves, and head home before another storm hit.