[PK] A rainy day

Mr. Etan

There was no time for emotions for this Mali'aheral. Desimir immediately resorted to doing what he knew how to do best, work and research. For hours in the next couple of days, he would encircle the pool of dried blood that he was first to discover that dreadful day. He took measurements. Calculated angles and trajectories. Took samples of the blood and environment. Played out every possible scenario. All his analysis lead his to the same answer. " This make no sense. "

He then found himself back in a familiar setting. A setting where it all began. A library. Books, after all, were his only reliable consultant in his father's absence. And they were always somewhere he knew to find them. Within their text there were no emotions to deceiver, just direct, logical facts about what is, isn't, and could be. But this time, their text offered no hope or angle of solution for Desimir, despite cross examining their words with his evidence. He grew agitated with each page he quickly turned. His table was already littered with books but he went to gather another stack within his arms.

image5_50.png.0bdb8a7048c1046a77e6c6d00a53469e.png

His steps were sluggish and unbalanced underneath not just the weight of the books but also the words he already knew they were going to read. His lips suddenly started to quiver and his eyes watered. " I have control over my emotions " He commanded to himself. He managed to will himself a few steps further. " My emotions.. are under.. my co- " He choked up again, worse this time. Desimir's knees buckled and he collapsed, buried under the sad and irrefutable truth. He sat there and balled up his fist to hit the temples of his head as hard as he could a until it felt numb. His breathing was shallow and rapid. " I am.. a scholar magi... Desimir Divadri... son of- " He tried to convince himself of who he was but couldn't stop his sobbing from interrupting. The traumatic memories with his father flooded his psyche and then collided with the good ones when finally accepted as his son. His hand grasped around the jewelry Sarrion made for him. It's protecting enchantment once made it glowed but it was now dull with him gone.

He composed himself for a moment and tried to steel himself again. " He's my father... it's my duty.. I have to- " He stopped himself. His words felt hollow as all his teary vision could see was his sister yelling an echo of the same, exact words back at him and rejecting him from her life. 

He rocked himself back and forth and even tried to distract his mind from the pain with equations of equivalent exchange. " I-If two divided by 'p' plus.. 't'.. then 't' times 'p'.. p- p- p- o' please don't leave me, not again...! " Sat amidst the piles of books, Desimir hugged his legs and buried his face into them, weeping uncontrollably. 

Once again, Desimir was lost and alienated. Once again, he had no home. Once again, he felt useless with no purpose. Once again, he had nothing.

Once again, he had no one left to turn to.

Once again, he was alone.

Greiret Elverhilin's palm weakly gripped the magical burn upon his face - the one that was opposite to his friend Sarrion's. 

". . . NO! No . . . I knew not that he still drew breath, and now he is dead?! It was my presumption he had perhaps found a way to enter the Void itself. . . But this? Murdered?! . . . Lonelier do I become. . . Lonelier, indeed. What misery this earth has become. Some day. . ." 

". . ."

". . . Some day I will see you again, my friend.

Despair, grief, sorrow, misery and anxiety was hidden by the stench of strong alcohol - vodka. A glass was poured for himself and another for the golden soul of his friend. 

Eventually, such news would find its way to a lone, travelling elfess with peculiar, pale eyes. The elfess would find privacy after hearing the whispers; her gaze shifting to blank orbs as she merely stood in some dark alleyway processing what she had heard.

She recalled the warmth and acceptance she had been shown, in her era as a changeling. Her chaotic antics that had brought joy and laughter to the Guild upon Arcas - the chair that she had morphed herself into, to scare the Divadri Apprentice's child.

She recalled all she had learnt from him. Her alchemical prowess, the discovery of the nature of her soul, and how such had aided her in stabilising her own mind. She owed much to the man, who had only ever shown her kindness, and even in his own esteemed brilliance had never once shamed or shunned her limited knowledge in comparison.

She would mourn her oldest, dearest friend. No longer comforted by the thought that one day, they would cross paths once again. Loneliness would tighten its grasp upon her heart.

The ker recoiled in his chair, his eyes widening at the news of Sarrion's passing.   "Huh?"    he managed, his voice barely a whisper amidst the tumult of his thoughts. Confusion enveloped him like a suffocating shroud. Why were so many mages he knew meeting such a fate?

"Another one" he muttered under his breath, his hand instinctively clenching into a tight fist, knuckles white with the pressure. He stared down at the table before him, wishing desperately for just one more conversation with the departed soul. Though they weren't close, the desire for friendship lingered in his heart, now dashed by the cruel hand of fate.

"I'll see you soon, llir" he whispered, a solitary tear tracing a path down his weathered face, reflecting the golden hue of his eyes. "May your will be carried, and may you find peace... wherever you are" he murmured softly, his words a solemn tribute to the departed mage.

[!]

Deep in a forest, Aethline, an elf filled with worry, heard troubling news. Her face, marked by scars, twisted sadly as she held a blade made by a friend long gone. Her fingers traced the initials on its handle, memories flooding back. For a day, sadness consumed her as she remembered the help her friend gave. Alone, she whispered softly.

"Rest well, old friend... rest well."

Her words, though quiet, carried her sorrow and gratitude through the silent trees, honoring the dead.

[!]

The most pure elf, daughter of Larihei, frowned as Anethra recalled the days within Sarrion's school of magic.

"I never quite imagined there would be a day where you would be gone. My first instructor; and he who truly freed me from the bonds I had placed upon myself. Know your manaline persists even to this day, as my students have had students of their own; and of those, even further. Without you, arts would be forgotten and practice lost to time."

Anethra stated, almost to comfort herself. She grunted, murmuring about how talking to herself was stupid.

"I need to collect myself again. I have so much more to do."

Sitting upon a lone corner in a grand library, an elven scholar reminisced on his one and only memory of the studied Mali as he clasped one of the many tomes that bore Sarrion's name.

"A single cup of tea." His one eye gazed softly into the book, caressing the cover. "Though our meeting was brief, I am deeply grateful to have exchanged words with you, First Enchanter." The mournful magi settled the book onto a large pile at his side. After all, much work was left to be done.

Spoiler

I want all of you who posted to know that a lot of these made me low-key cry. I'm glad to be retiring such an old character who made a big impact on a lot of characters good and bad.

Solace, formerly known as Gredge in the life of his voidal-mage era, wandered the streets of Lurin as he finished preparing his new house to be a business. In the times of what he called his new life he rarely had flashbacks of what once was, but when they came, it was impossible to escape. He was never sure when or where they'd attack him, but his past always haunted him and 'pon seeing a poster, or hearing the name spoken, Sarrion wracked his mind. In the days of Axios when the Enchantry still flew high above and its access, limited only by a small portal-door, was novel, Solace was but a young aspiring mage. With only the dead art of telekinesis under his belt, Sarrion opened the doors to the novice and gave him one of many stepping stones to cementing his reality as it currently was. Even in the times now when Solace despised the void, he knew deep down that the material realm had once more lost one of the most genuine voidal-magi known to exist. 

"While in this life I may have made you my enemy, the past that still follows makes me feel as though I am sorry to see you go. I will see you in the afterlife- and perhaps we can once again chat about what it means to be a mage."

After the brief and mind-numbing experience, Solace moved along, the memories fading from him once more. 

Dael'ran, Former Ascended and less-than-current Voidal mage, stood on the outreaches of a distant land. Perhaps months, or years, in the future from when Sarrion actually passed, he'd get word of the Descendants land in a small note. Somewhere amongst the news he'd hear of his passing, anguish flooding the ancient mans face. 

"One day- when the void eats us all- it won't have mattered, but I am sorry to say I never gave a farewell to you. A guide to us all, truly one of the few people I'd consider to have truly taken on the namesake of Sorcerer, Mage, and Scholar. Aos and Eos will not be the same without your guiding hand."

Spoiler

It's always sad to see a 'staple' character of the magic community move on or die, but Sarrion is genuinely one of the most notable ones in awhile, when I was a noob mage all those years ago I genuinely looked up to you and the character, alongside others like Blundermore, Elindor, etc. Not to say they're all the same, but the impact the character had on the server was massive and I am glad that he gets a fitting end. Excited to see what you have in store next if something new.