[✓] [Invention] Telescope Lore [15/15]

Space

Yes or No?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

The Story

One day, well Oelilag Notwen was in his little hut which he called his workshop, gazing at the stars. He was using a small hand lense, which he had been gifted by his father. He had always removed his glasses when he was looking through the lense, as his father had taught him, but tonight, he had forgotten. He put the lense close to his eyeball, staring at the twinkling lights, and noticed something odd. The small pinpoints of light in the sky were suddenly clearer. Not by much, but it was noticeable to the scientists eyes.

Suddenly, idea struck Oelilag. He moved to the small chest that held his personal items, rummaging for a moment before he found the case that held the spare pair of glasses he owned. He hobbled back to the window, arranging the lenses so he had a 3-lense thick. He peered at the moon, and could make out the white surface, dotted with craters.

He had something!

He then created the schematics and concept images, compiling a list of what he needed.

herschel_small_telescope.gif

telescope_plans.jpg

OrXOV.png

• The finest iron and gold he could get, to stop moisture from getting between the lenses

• 3 gradually smaller telescopic lenses

• A blacksmith/glass maker to create the above items

• Proper funding for his project

• A base with a rotating joint to connect the wooden tripod and the telescope, for easy mobility.

An excerpt from Oelilag Notwen’s Journal;

I am in hope that I have created one of the most influential inventions of this world. A magnifying lense, that will be able to spot enemy armies for miles, stare deep into the blackness of the heavens, as well as numerous other things. This is what my father was hoping for; I just hope I have indeed fulfilled his dreams.

Technology

Olelilag discovered the curved lenses which he had, combined with the other curved lenses, magnified the view of the sky. After a series of tests involving long tubes and a sacrificed pair of glasses, he learned that with one lense at the ‘butt’ of the tube and one at the ‘nose’, the light would curve off the top of the front lense and connect in the tube, and point right into the lense at the bottom, which magnified the light. He put another lense in, and the magnification

was greater, so he figures the more he puts the greater he will be able to see.

He used the concept of the hinge for the base of the telescope, which will swivel. After a brief test he realized that by crafting a small cup, with a block of wood that was smoothed out and just smaller than the inside of the cup, he could swivel the telescope with relative ease. But, there was a drawback. He had no real control, except for pushing and pulling. He could not pinpoint spots in the sky. But, that was something that he would deal with later; He had a concept, and it needed proving.

After designing the telescope, he realized that this telescope would not be very transportable. Due to the large size it would need to be pulled by a cart (Albeit, a cart that can be pulled by a lone man), and would take a strong man to assemble it.

Also, just incase any biases exist, I want to make this in Oren so... You know. Just think about that.

EDIT: Reduced the lenses, cause 7 seemed too much.

Herregud.

I'm such a party-pooper, but.

I think it's a little to early with these telecopes, Asulon is supposed to be in 1100 (CA) and the telecope was invented in 1608.

And I think the concept of seeing enemies from afar is... A way to meta without breaking any rules.

So I will have to go with ½no.

Herregud.

I'm such a party-pooper, but.

I think it's a little to early with these telecopes, Asulon is supposed to be in 1100 (CA) and the telecope was invented in 1608.

And I think the concept of seeing enemies from afar is... A way to meta without breaking any rules.

So I will have to go with ½no.

Of course, someone not liking my idea in a video game hurts my feelings so.

Just kidding.

Seriously though, spy glasses have been traced back to egyptian times. It does not take much to figure out that more lenses=higher magnification.

Also, what timeline are you using? Asulon is not Earth. We have magic. We have a printing press.

Also, about that viewing enemies thing. That's just propaganda for when Olileg tries to pitch the idea to Godfrey. It's not metagaming one bit.

I really like this idea. I would be extremely glad to be able to RP my tribe's star-gazing with an actual tool of some kind. Not just a....

The Chieftain looks up at the stars, looking for patterns and differences in brightness to determine his position.

Herregud.I'm such a party-pooper, but.I think it's a little to early with these telecopes, Asulon is supposed to be in 1100 (CA) and the telecope was invented in 1608.And I think the concept of seeing enemies from afar is... A way to meta without breaking any rules.So I will have to go with ½no.

I absolutely hate it when people use the "Asulon is in the 1100s/1300s/1200.7653563s" argument. This is not earth, nor earth's time period. Technology is not a linear progression that has a year stapled to each part; it moves with culture, environment, and singular people's whims. Steam power, for instance, was "discovered" multiple times in history right back to the conquests of Alexander the Great. Should the Greeks have had larger metal-working industries, and a visionary at the head of it, steam-powered trains could easily have come to be in that period.

You should never disregard technology simply because "it was made in the year xxxx." Instead, look at the piece of technology, and work out what it's made of, and the process by which it's made. If the individual parts can be manufactured in Asulon, then it is entirely plausable to create it.

Then why don't we have spaceships and lasers?

Because when you look at the inventions we have ATM that's a very large step.

Exactly

We have a printing press. That's around 1300. We have magic. Explain to me how a bunch of glass lenses in a tube is that big of a step?

The point is that Asulon =/= Earth. Things are different in many ways, and if someone invents something in Asulon they better have taken as many steps as it has to make it as is necessary, but the time doesn't need to be the same. Conditions are very different, so different things will come up. Idt we'll ever get to nuke warfare, though :3

If you like the lore, please vote for yes. If you dislike it, then vote no. I need 15 votes in yes (votes in no are deducted) for this to be looked at.

Also, comment on reasons for your stance is cool.

The lore seems incredibly simple, but really, it works perfectly. I like how it's straight and to the point. +1 from me.

The only concern I have with this lore is that it would be used in battles, to see the enemy which could be a little meta.