11 members have voted

1. 1. Should this be accepted?

• Yes
    • No
    • Needs more work

The Potion of Regeneration

potion.jpg

What is this potion?:

Well, the potion of regeneration is a potion which helps regenerate lost bodyparts. Before posting a -1, and exiting this post, read the following explanations, because I have thought hard about this potion for a whole load of time, and a sensible answer finally came to me. This potion works in a peculiar way, as you need to stay for many a month, drenching your missing body part in this strange liquid before it regenerates. Another peculiar thing about the regeneration is that when the body part finally regenerates, it will act as if it has never been used, and thus needs physical therapy, which take even more time, as physical therapy itself takes months. Only after the regeneration and therapy, which for limbs usually takes a matter of a whole IC year, and for other body parts even longer.

How did this potion come to be?:

e42ec19d293a9513bf2020af8124c99a-d4p1e4h

Far away in the south, in a certain dwarven alchemist's halls of horror, a potion with amazing effects, and horrible side effects was created. Kardel Irongut, the alchemist obsessed with immortality, youth, and transmutation, was determined to find a way how to regenerate his lost hand. Being an experienced herbalist, he was able to identify a plant with this type of potential: the mandragora, most importantly the 'meat' of the mandragora, which had great rejuvenation properties, but was useless without the help of two other major ingredients, fresh human liver originating from a mother's body, and the blood of the individual who is drinking it. A twisted recipe  it was, but Kardel was able to find these reagents by certain means, and was able to create a potion using them.

But why, why the liver of a person? The reason for this is because the liver is the only human organ that can regenerate himself, a study made by Kardel that proved true, and combined with the ripe 'meat' of the parsnip-like mandragora, which also has great rejuvenation properties. The blood of the patient acts as a navigator, showing the potion what it is supposed to do. With these ingredients  a potion capable of restoration of limbs was made, but it comes at a great cost.

This potion, more like an oil, is not drank, but applied instead. It works in the most peculiar way, as it requires the user to soak the part he wishes to regenerate in the liquid for a very long time, usually a span of 7 months, as the part slowly regenerates. After the process of regeneration, there is yet another side effect. Since the liver does not truly 'regenerate', but re-creates itself slowly, and in the end is as if the regenerated part had never been used, the regenerated body part will also act as if it were never used. An example of this would be regrowing your arm with this potion, the regenerated arm being as if it was never used, a brand new arm, one that needs a lot of physical therapy, as blood does not run through it properly, and as it is not nearly as old as the rest of the body. The therapy also takes a lot of time, a matter of another 3-5 months, but in the end, the product is a brand new limb, maybe not equal in strength with the others, but still having the same function.

Another thing that Kardel purposely did when brewing the potion was make sure that the liquid was useless to anyone but him, to hide his secret. He did this by using his own blood as a base, so that the potion would only work on him. This works with any other person as well, if their blood is used, and this would stop others from using that single brew.

How do you prepare this wonderful substance?!:

The potion is prepared using the meat of the mandragora, along with a mother's liver of the same race and blood of the user. Using the liver and of an orc, when the user is a dwarf, would result in a horrible regeneration of a strange half orc/dwarf hybrid limb, which is horribly unstable. This potion is put together like any other, accept the blood is the base, and the liver and mandragora being reagents. These reagents are all traced back to the symbol of Water, Water representing life, birth, and in this case regeneration and re-creation, so it alchemically makes sense as well. The potion itself requires fresh ingredients and takes a whole load of time to make, usually a matter of 2 days, its nature being extremely reactant, so the creation can fail very easily. The potion has a certain heat it must be heated to, and this heat must remain constant throughout the whole process. It also must be mixed until it turns into a rich, dark color. Only after this, is the potion valid to use.

The nature of the potion:

This potion is quite a tricky one, as if prepared wrongly, it might leave your body part only half regenerated, and due to its extensional long period of effect, if used on major organs, like the heart, it might not carry out its effect fast enough to save the patient. It can also leave a body part half-regenerated if not prepared in plentiful quality, so the risks of this potion are much too great, and only very talented alchemists may create it. Sometimes, it may even create a limb that will not accept therapy, and leave you in a horrible situation, so it is always encouraged to be extremely careful when using such a potion.

((Wait, so this WONT save your life? Dangit... if only it could regenerate your head... Question: Does it work on small cuts, bruises, gashes, blemishes, etc.?)

(( This would cause some pretty damn horrible mutations, and that's pretty cool RP. It brings out the side of alchemy where stuff just goes horribly, horribly wrong. I support +1.))

I like it. Hard to acquire the ingredients (you have to get that liver and womb fluid from somewhere), can go horribly wrong, risky, dangerous, and with plenty of other drawbacks.

I'd make it clear that the disfigured limb is not going to be better than the correct one under any circumstances. We don't want people doing it intentionally. (Actually, that might be an interesting RP...)

(as a horrible, blundering alchemist, is support this twice as hard as everyone above.)

I appreciate the feedback, and as for you questions:

((Wait, so this WONT save your life? Dangit... if only it could regenerate your head... Question: Does it work on small cuts, bruises, gashes, blemishes, etc.?) 

Yes, it does, but I dont see why you would need to kill a pregnant woman for a small cut when you can use your casual potion of mending :P. As for your life, no, its not Tawkin or Pancea.

Great Idea and nice lore, Its got a good back story and plenty of Dangers for such a bottle of hopes. Great work so far.

((Darn it... right was I was in the process of creating a hydra-like(might just stick to the name hydra for simplicity sake) creature in which its blood can be used in the creation of regenerative potions that can heal limbs. >_<

Oh well, glad to see that some crazy alchemist is out there to make a potion that will RPly regenerate a character's body part.  There are two concerns that I have with this potion however.  First is about representing the potion.  It is easily for any aspiring alchemist to claim that they have brew this potion with or without RP.  I know RPly it is difficult to brew but it is easy to just RP a simple bottle of water to be such a regenerative potion.  How do you plan to counter this so people can not illegitimately make this potion with out proper RP?  One solution I can think of is taking screenshots of the rp of obtaining the ingredients, sceenshoting the the brewing process (don't forget to have a couple a failures to screenshot), and then showing said screenshots to GM who can then give you a named potion of regeneration.

Another concern of mine is one of the ingredients used: liquids from a mother's womb.  I understand that the point of this ingredient is to express how twisted the creation of this potion is for using such of an "exotic" ingredient but I feel that we should avoid ingredients that involve the use of anything related to sexual organ and body parts.  Call me prude but if the server finds the mention of gentiles or acts of c*******g a bannable offense, then I think something like "womb liquids" will only get people in trouble.  Also, this also brings into question how one can obtain a mother's womb liquid.  My worry is that an alchemist attempting to create this potion will resort kidnapping mothers (I am going to take it that it literally has to be a mother and not just any female) and force the womb liquid out of them.  Such a thing is something that I consider rape and rape is a bannable offense on this server even if the mothers in question are OOCly comfortable with this.  Even if an alchemist can find a WILLING mother to produce womb juice(which I doubt, what sort of good mother will go with a sketchy alchemist will so he can "squeeze" the womb liquid out of her?), how will this go about being RP?  Since sexual body parts WILL have to be involved (unless you perform surgery to cut the stomach and get access tot he womb that way which is dangerous back in the medieval times.), the use of FTB (fade to black) will be necessary.  Even with FTB I find that the RP to have access to a mother's womb liquid to be incredibly questionable and I highly recommend that you change the ingredient "mother's womb juice" into something else that will not raise eyebrows. 

I understand the point of how it represents "creation" and that it has a water affinity in alchemical terms (water = life), but the ingredient and the process to get it is on the border of what is acceptable and what is not on this sever and I think that I will be in your best interest and anyone wishing to make this potion to use a different ingredient as mother's womb liquids only endangers them with a permanent ban even if they take precautions.  There is also bound to be many hard to access ingredients out there than can be used instead: heart of a drake, shard of a golem's magegold core, a tear of a frost witch, bark from an ent, poison glands of a scaddernack, eye of a cockatrice, anything as long as you can make it relevant is use as an ingredient.  You can even make a new ingredient and provide lore to allow use of the ingredient for alchemy.  Heck, if you are willing to wait long enough you can use hydra blood as a substitute once I finish the lore and that that lore is accepted(when that happens and assuming that it does).  In the end you don't find (at least I hope not) ingredients like a bottle of human sperm, dwarf public hairs, and dried orc testicles for the same reason that that you don't find jars of mother's womb liquid, it is because such ingredients are inappropriate and untasteful.  I think most people do not want to think about the RP behind why you even have those ingredients in the first place and what an achemist plans to do with them.))

((Darn it... right was I was in the process of creating a hydra-like(might just stick to the name hydra for simplicity sake) creature in which its blood can be used in the creation of regenerative potions that can heal limbs. >_<

Oh well, glad to see that some crazy alchemist is out there to make a potion that will RPly regenerate a character's body part.  There are two concerns that I have with this potion however.  First is about representing the potion.  It is easily for any aspiring alchemist to claim that they have brew this potion with or without RP.  I know RPly it is difficult to brew but it is easy to just RP a simple bottle of water to be such a regenerative potion.  How do you plan to counter this so people can not illegitimately make this potion with out proper RP?  One solution I can think of is taking screenshots of the rp of obtaining the ingredients, sceenshoting the the brewing process (don't forget to have a couple a failures to screenshot), and then showing said screenshots to GM who can then give you a named potion of regeneration.

Another concern of mine is one of the ingredients used: liquids from a mother's womb.  I understand that the point of this ingredient is to express how twisted the creation of this potion is for using such of an "exotic" ingredient but I feel that we should avoid ingredients that involve the use of anything related to sexual organ and body parts.  Call me prude but if the server finds the mention of gentiles or acts of c*******g a bannable offense, then I think something like "womb liquids" will only get people in trouble.  Also, this also brings into question how one can obtain a mother's womb liquid.  My worry is that an alchemist attempting to create this potion will resort kidnapping mothers (I am going to take it that it literally has to be a mother and not just any female) and force the womb liquid out of them.  Such a thing is something that I consider rape and rape is a bannable offense on this server even if the mothers in question are OOCly comfortable with this.  Even if an alchemist can find a WILLING mother to produce womb juice(which I doubt, what sort of good mother will go with a sketchy alchemist will so he can "squeeze" the womb liquid out of her?), how will this go about being RP?  Since sexual body parts WILL have to be involved (unless you perform surgery to cut the stomach and get access tot he womb that way which is dangerous back in the medieval times.), the use of FTB (fade to black) will be necessary.  Even with FTB I find that the RP to have access to a mother's womb liquid to be incredibly questionable and I highly recommend that you change the ingredient "mother's womb juice" into something else that will not raise eyebrows. 

I understand the point of how it represents "creation" and that it has a water affinity in alchemical terms (water = life), but the ingredient and the process to get it is on the border of what is acceptable and what is not on this sever and I think that I will be in your best interest and anyone wishing to make this potion to use a different ingredient as mother's womb liquids only endangers them with a permanent ban even if they take precautions.  There is also bound to be many hard to access ingredients out there than can be used instead: heart of a drake, shard of a golem's magegold core, a tear of a frost witch, bark from an ent, poison glands of a scaddernack, eye of a cockatrice, anything as long as you can make it relevant is use as an ingredient.  You can even make a new ingredient and provide lore to allow use of the ingredient for alchemy.  Heck, if you are willing to wait long enough you can use hydra blood as a substitute once I finish the lore and that that lore is accepted(when that happens and assuming that it does).  In the end you don't find (at least I hope not) ingredients like a bottle of human sperm, dwarf public hairs, and dried orc testicles for the same reason that that you don't find jars of mother's womb liquid, it is because such ingredients are inappropriate and untasteful.  I think most people do not want to think about the RP behind why you even have those ingredients in the first place and what an achemist plans to do with them.))

Why are you such a genius? C: 

I was thinking about how this issue could be solved and you nailed it perfectly.

Flattery appreciated.   I only wish to bring up my concerns and wish to express them as best as I can.  Whenever I see something that means he raise an eyebrow and even consider if it is appropriate or not, the the fact that that I am debating to myself is a warning sign.  Also my main reason for bringing up my concern for mother's womb liquids the fact that people can potentially get permanently banned if they do not RP this carefully.  Since I don't wish for a fellow fellow player to be banned as the any other player I might as well address it here and now than for the problems be brought up in a ban report.  If it take me 2 to 3 hours (and yes I am a slow thinker and slow type but its is that mindset of thinking and looking at the problem carefully that has served me well for all of these years) to make post that will potentially prevent a good-intentioned player from having to suffer a ban (or worse perma-ban), then I should do it.  I rather that players like Kardel be safe than sorry.

I think the mother's womb liquid is obtained by gutting a pregnant woman...

Twisted...

Eh... As a fellow alchemist, I am actually not supportive of this for once. Alchemy can do much, but it shouldn't be able to do everything.

Yes, YES! It would be so cool to find crazy, insane alchemists trying these experiments on innocent people... perfect horror movie material!

(( Well, the womb can be reached by cutting the lower abdomen in half and retrieving the organ itself. Though, I do understand your concern, and have made up a solution to it. Just like in inappropriate rp we FTB, in the retrieval of the liquid is also not detailed, as even i myself find it twisted, but after all, alchemy would be a boring subject if it was NOT twisted. I definitely agree on the screenshot thing, and as for the problem with rape, its quite simple really, both sides get to agree on it, like with everything else. 

The heart of a drake dissipates like the rest of the drake after its death, so it is not valid. Golemancery is though to be forgotten, so magegold is gone with it, and do not take this the wrong way, but I have never heard of the other reagents you propose. I used mother's womb liquid just because I knew it would be hard to get, but I might as well make another post about another reagent, as in the beginning, even I did not feel comfortable about the womb liquid. Yet I feel that we should have a wider range of opinions before I change the recipe, both because some people might feel the same as you, or others in a different way, yet I proposed this lore not only for the potion, but also for the RP it would provide, as cutting out a liver and retrieving womb liquid would make for some crazy good RP, and to stop this potion from being mass produced, you would need a VA for zealtory and unprovoked murder for this, so the VA makes it harder OOCly to make this potion.

Also, I would love to see your lore about the hydra, and maybe the womb liquid could be replaced by its blood, but this would just make the potion un-necessarily difficult to make, and it would be a nightmare to even think of it. Again, I await for more opinions from a wider audience on this issue, and if the majority votes no, I promise I will change it, in my democratic spirit. 

@Hex37:

Of course alchemy is capable of this. If you can merge animals together to create a chimera, which is practically life, why NOT be able to regenerate a body part over a long period of time, Maybe you did not read the whole lore, and i do not blame you, as it IS pretty long lore, but still, I, and many more, think that alchemy should be capable of doing this. ))