Kitten's Guide To Better Acrobatics

BrandNewKitten

So you want to be an acrobat? Well here is a brief guide that I am working on to help ya out!

Note that this guide is mostly targeted at why acrobatic stunts are difficult in combat.

Let me remind you that even though this is a fantasy server characters should also follow realistic factors.

Some things to note about acrobatics;

-An acrobat is someone who has trained since a young age when the body is still adaptable.

-A person who is trying to take up acrobatics latter in life will never be as flexible as someone who began as a child.

-Acrobatics does NOT mean you can do a double backflip with a sword in each hand while slashing. That is a little something called powergaming.

Righteo my good chumps shall we proceed?

Acrobatics is the use of flexibility and total body coordination to contort one’s self in various ways performing a stunt. Acrobats are usually trained from an early childhood so that their bodies may adapt to the extreme flexing and bending that needs to be done. I like to categorize acrobatics into three categories. Balance, ground stunts, aerial stunts each trained much like magical subtype.

Balance: The most difficult to master and the most dangerous thing to lack. Having a sense of balance is what keeps the acrobat alive. If they were to lose it or if they didn’t have a good sense of it they would end up with broken bones.

Ground stunts: This mostly encompasses rolling. If one were to roll straight down their spine the chances of injury are much greater than someone who rolling down a diagonal on their back starting at one shoulder and crossing down to the opposite hip. One should never roll down the spine as a spinal injury would most likely cripple them.

Aerial stunts: Although the most numerous in different stunts Aeriel stunts are extremely difficult, dangerous and taxing on the body. A person wouldn’t be able to consistently do backflips in a safe manner which is relative to their time spent training. With each flip the amount of pressure on the body increases and the gradual incline of energy used along with it. Imagine bench pressing; Each time you lift the bar the weight seems to get heavier. With aerial stunts there are possibilities of not landing on your feet, landing on your feet wrong, becoming dizzy/lightheaded, getting knocked out of the air, etc... Aerial maneuvers are usually just for show as they are relatively ineffective in combat.

Backflips: A backflip takes a ton of energy and focus to perform while not really going back very far. So a charging opponent is not going to be evaded by a backflip. Along with this- It is unrealistic to say you can dual-wield two sword and perform a perfect backflip especially if your character didn’t learn gymnastics/acrobatics as a child. Much like a weapon each area of acrobatics takes time to learn, master and upkeep. You would have to practice the same amount of time, if not more, that you do with a sword.

For example: My character Iatrilemar tried learning multiple different weapons throughout his life but gave up each one when he noticed they were conflicting with his ability to perform his stunts.

Even though he has been an acrobat for over a century he is not a god. He isn’t able to dodge every attack and while he is quite slick he isn’t flash or some acrobatic superhero either. If anything I play him how it is. Acrobatics as a main profession offers very little offensive capabilities and is mainly used for defense.

Tippy tips!

-Don’t use flips in combat if you haven’t trained to use flips in combat. No one can learn to flip in a day, week, month. It takes years and years and years of practice. My character still messes up.

-If you are sick or wounded your balance is going to be off which means there is a higher chance to fail or get injured.

-Pressure put on your character would cause stress. In turn their focus would be off leaving them vulnerable to accidents

-Rolling is your friend but just because you roll does not mean you evaded the attack. Perhaps you don’t roll frequently. Well chances are your leg/foot is going to get caught.

-Rping things like “As Iatrilemar flipped back in the air the sword brushed against the sole of his foot taking a piece of leather” make people mad... Either RP that you were out of the way or get caught. Things that “nearly got you” but didn't make acrobatic RP very frustrating to work with.

-Put yourself in your characters shoes. Did you notice the sword coming? Would you have anticipated in order to prep for a stunt? Things like flips can't automatically happen. There is a prep involved even if it is just bending over in order to launch yourself up.

Personally I think the best part about acrobatics is the stun factor. People are taken off guard by a simple maneuver allowing my character to get away. Basically don’t go around with double katanas doing perfect backflips off people’s chest stating that you learned that yesterday.

Also I suggest actually RP training in acrobatics instead of saying “Well my character spent the first 50 years of their life doing this so I am already a master” when you create a character. As for all new characters RP them at the bottom of the heap with no specialization until you actually RP them doing it. That being said just because your character didn't happen to practice as a child does not mean they can never learn. They would just be at a disadvantage compared to those who have. 

All of you must know what parkour is. It isn't as much about flexibility as it is dynamic movement and extreme hand-eye-foot-body coordination. However parkourists train just as much as an acrobat if they are even a separate entity. Would your character have enough time to keep up his acrobatics and his swordplay at a high level? Hmmm? Would they?

I will be adding more to this guide as my brain decides to work so this is subject to change. Ask some questions and I will answer. Thank you for your patience.

Final piece of advice? DON'T POWERGAME! It makes those who like acrobatics look bad... Also- dun hurt kittawn... I tried. I am much better at other kinds of writings. Guides are hard and I applaud those who have made wonderful ones in the past. 

A person wouldn’t be able to consistently do backflips in a safe manner.

No one can learn to flip in a day, week, month. It takes years and years and years of.

Personally I don't entirely agree with either of these statements. A trained acrobat only ever does tricks that they can consistently land safely.

Also it's a misconception that a flip (any kind ie saults, handsprings etc) takes years to learn and needs heaps of leg power. If the learner has a decent straight jump (40cmish) a good teacher can teach a flip in 30 minutes, while technique  can be refined within months.

I agree though only rolling is really effective in any combat. ninjutsu is a good example of rolling in combat 

Personally I don't entirely agree with either of these statements. A trained acrobat only ever does tricks that they can consistently land safely.

Also it's a misconception that a flip (any kind ie saults, handsprings etc) takes years to learn and needs heaps of leg power. If the learner has a decent straight jump (40cmish) a good teacher can teach a flip in 30 minutes, while technique  can be refined within months.

I agree though only rolling is really effective in any combat. ninjutsu is a good example of rolling in combat 

Yes they train but an acrobat would also know their limits. How many times can you bench your maximum? Of course someone may learn to flip in a short period of time but it doesn't mean they will be anywhere near combat ready. Combat adds stress to the body and people tense up when they are stressed. Someone who is learning a flip would be nervous about attempting it and therefor most likely injure themselves in the process. I am not trying to tell people they can't. Just that there are consequences if they do.

I guess I can see where you're coming from. Really no one should be flipping in combat as it is illogical. Same reason MMA fighters never do flips.

My character was a parkourist, who trained himself to do some fancy flips and handstands. But he never used any kind of flip in combat, only the occasional roll or dive, or maybe cat leap or other such move over an obstacle. He was more of a hand to hand fighter, and couldn't use anything over the size of a short sword.