[Mech] Building Dungeons For Inhib

Sporadic

Hello, LotC. Arche here with a basic how-to guide. Perhaps you are on the dev server, or perhaps you are simply a building enthoushiast. With inHiB, it is now possible for you to build dungeons anywhere you like, and have players enjoy them over and over. Tricky puzzles, devious mazes, epic loot, it is all possible.

Let's dive in. What is needed:

• Building skills
  • A server to build on
  • WorldEdit to export your dungeons to a .schematic file

Building a Basic Dungeon:

For this tutorial, I will be messing around with this very ingenious, very well-designed Cube dungeon. If van Gogh played minecraft, this would be what his masterpiece would look like. You have my permission to marvel at the design for a few hours, but then I would like to get into how we can make this work.

Z50jdHh.png

It is no secret that every dungeon needs an entrance and exit. Sure, we COULD just make an inescapable pit of death and let players suffer there for all eternity, but the more gentlemanly thing to do is to create a quick entrance spot. I have added this to my digital Mona Lisa in the following way.

AVJtecL.png

As the more insightful of you can perhaps make out, this exit does not lead anywhere but a sharp turn and a dead end. Of course, the dungeons are created in a new world and spawn with nothing but vast, eternal void on every site for at least a mile. I traveled around in it, it is quite freaky. What we want to do is make the dungeon teleport the player back to the specified anchor point of the dungeon, which is located in any other world.

To create an exit, place a sign that says @exit on the first line. This sign will teleport nearby players out. 

NMACanC.png

Oh that's beautiful. You can have as many of these signs as you want. Remember that the exit sign may have delays due to lag or runnable timers, which means it is never a good idea to place it on the edge of a hole to the void.

We have the exit, now we need the entrance. The ENTRY point is mandatory. Each dungeon must have one and only one. It is created by using 'Block 95'. If you do not know what this is, do not worry too much about it and just tell me when you am needing an adult. However:

• the entry block must not be too close to an exit sign (or they are teleported straight back out for added NOPE effect)
  • The entry block must also have a 3x3 area around it to be free.
  • The entry block has a tendency to fade randomly, so always make sure its there the moment the dungeon is exported, or there will be consuquences.

The entry block looks as follows:

McBdDbd.png

The last mandatory component is the End Chest. the End Chest will be filled with extra valuable loot and is a required component of a dungeon. Once the end chest is opened, the dungeon will go into its 'reset' state. It will be closed for a set period of time, only to be reopened with all the traps, mobs, and new loot.

The End chest is an Ender chest (although it will be a regular chest when the dungeon is generated). It will be automatically filled ingame. Just make sure it exists! If you hide it somewhere, the dungeon will be open forever, which can be useful in some scenarios.

N91js6B.png

And those are all the steps that are required to make dungeons. Hopefully, few enough steps that you could make it through. I am looking forward to see what devious dungeon masters will unleash themselves on us soon.

Extra information:

• All redstone should be correctly transferred to the dungeon world. This should include signs that trigger Craftbook commands.
  • ​Your dungeons will be randomly filled with loot from the loot table. All chests will get a bit of loot, and the end chest will have extra special loot. The GMs will be able to set these drop tables ingame, so do not worry about it while building.
  • Bookshelves in dungeons dissappear when clicked, possibly dropping a book.
  • Cauldrons filled with water act as replenishing sources of energy, giving players regeneration
  • You can NOT use command blocks in dungeons at this time, as they are disabled on the server. Yell loud enough, however, and we will look into this.
  • Players entering dungeons will be set to adventure mode, which means they cannot damage blocks. There is also additional checks to make sure no player ever breaks a block. 
  • Dungeons are normally created in HARD mode (unless we explicitly change this in the configuration). This means Mobs are pretty tough. Beware.
  • You can spawn mobs by using mob spawners (which will be ported over), or dispensers with mob eggs. Players will not be able to open dispensers and take these mob eggs, so do not worry about this.
  • Mobs can also be spawned by a sign that has @mob on the FIRST line, and the official tag of the mob (http://jd.bukkit.org/rb/apidocs/org/bukkit/entity/EntityType.html) on the SECOND line. This mob will spawn once at dungeon generation.
  • Mob spawners can spawn custom mobs, such as ones with armor, potion effects, and other such shennanigans. If you really need this for the dungeon, ask me, and I will try to set it up for you.

And that is all I can think of for now. If any questions remain, do not hesitate to shoot me a PM, ask in Beta Tester chat, or find some other way to contact me. There are a few extra features for dungeon builders I have put in I did not yet tell you about.

No, because fun isn't allowed. (Yes please.... Don't tell the system)