Spirits Of Mental Instability

Shamans already have enough powers. Push this buff onto someone else, like mental mages or clerics.

Atoa you seem to be laboring under the idea that lore, to be implemented, must be necessary. This is false. No lore is necessary, it is not a need, it is a want. Some people want their mental illness to come from spirits. Some people want to do it the conventional way. There is not an issue with either possibilities. Nobody will force you to interact with this lore, should it be accepted. In the end, it is about fun, people have fun in different ways, and what you find appealing is not always appealing to others. 

Atoa you seem to be laboring under the idea that lore, to be implemented, must be necessary. This is false. No lore is necessary, it is not a need, it is a want. Some people want their mental illness to come from spirits. Some people want to do it the conventional way. There is not an issue with either possibilities. Nobody will force you to interact with this lore, should it be accepted. In the end, it is about fun, people have fun in different ways, and what you find appealing is not always appealing to others. 

I'm not implying that at all. I'm implying that it's so silly to have everything made magical, when there's a valid way of doing it already. Why does everything have to be special, when it can just be normal?

But then again, I'm just repeating myself at this point.

Shamans already have enough powers. Push this buff onto someone else, like mental mages or clerics.

It's not really a buff. Just something that provides RP if the person with the illness wants this RP. Anyone can just get rid of an illness at any time with their character, since y'know, it's their character. Would that be nice RP? No, but they can.

I mean no offense by what I'm about to tell you Hugo.

Deity magic is too much of an expanse to delve in already, it's silly how it's considered stronger than an Arcane Art. 

You need to add more and more weaknesses, because honestly, the scope of what a Dark Shaman can accomplish is so great that even the ET look at it and go 'wtf is this shite.'

Deity magic should never outrank the art which a magi draws free mana from a (believed endless) plane of existence. 

Add more weaknesses, no matter how articulate and well crafted this article of lore is I cannot approve another addition to an already wide range of magical skills that lie under all the magic right now. 

I mean no offense by what I'm about to tell you Hugo.

Deity magic is too much of an expanse to delve in already, it's silly how it's considered stronger than an Arcane Art. 

You need to add more and more weaknesses, because honestly, the scope of what a Dark Shaman can accomplish is so great that even the ET look at it and go 'wtf is this shite.'

Deity magic should never outrank the art which a magi draws free mana from a (believed endless) plane of existence. 

Add more weaknesses, no matter how articulate and well crafted this article of lore is I cannot approve another addition to an already wide range of magical skills that lie under all the magic right now. 

Did you read the lore, man? Where is dark shamanism mentioned? Where is it mentioned that this is a new ability to shamans? I'm not writing some new super lore for shamans. This is like me writing lore for a new voidal horror that void mages cannot use at all and people complaining to me that void mages have enough power as it is. Or a lore for a new animal and people saying "ugh Druids always getting these buffs".

1. I don't think you should meddle with spirit lore.
  2. It seems like an easy way for Mary and Gary Sues to contract mental illnesses without actually having a real reason as to how they got them.

1~ Who- Who told you this? Of course you can meddle! Meddle like crazy! If we don't like it, we'll say so! Otherwise, go nuts. Unless of course you meant he personally shouldn't meddle with spirit lore.

2~

Since this is a rather silly statement, i'm putting it in its own silly little box.

Yes.

I like the idea a lot, though I would like it if there were another way of fighting these spirits other than a shaman directly ripping it off. Perhaps there could be a way to weaken the spirit before the shaman goes to remove it, making the shaman's job easier. Maybe having more than one shaman combining their powers to remove the spirit could be a possibility.

Agreed, linking an idea like this solely to shamanism in both its identification and removal would be quite a waste of potential. At the very least, small signs should be present in the Mortal Realm due to the nature of the Spirit Realms as a whole, which affects the mortal realm and in turn the mortal realm affects it constantly and dramatically. Physical scars would be a good pointer; excessive itching in one area, something to actually differentiate these creatures' effects from a normal mental illness, otherwise in practicality they're identical. In addition, in Lore such as this it's very... Personalised. Yourself and whoever is helping you are the only people that know about it and interact with it. When we're looking for lore to be implemented, we want something that involves people; brings them into this type of roleplay. The concept may be good, but at the moment it won't be accepted for the simple reason that said concept won't spread. Try to think of something that will involve others, is all I can suggest. Perhaps an area of effect, with whoever's hosting the parasite causing those nearby to feel, very weakly, the mental illness that the parasite causes. Again, linking in to observable, objective effects with those around them.

There are plenty of possible ideas that could be used, so the argument that this could be used to revitalise events is, quite frankly, rather silly.

Why do we need to mess with a realistic affliction like mental illness?

~ There are indeed, and this is one of them.

~ You're pushing the belief that this lore is driven by need and then criticizing it because it isn't (?????????). Lore like this isn't necessary; its implementation and use isn't a requirement and it isn't a limitation, it's an addition that's use is entirely optional, as the creatures proposed aren't the result of mental illness, they're a cause of a specific form.

Fortunately for those who are shaking their fists at the dominant force of Deity magic, this proposition isn't a buff towards Shamanism. It's introducing an optional concept involving mental illness separate from normal mental illness and adding a way to remove it. In practicality it doesn't add any benefit to Shamans since it's effectively causing the problem which it's capable of fixing.

add more and more weaknesses

Add more weaknesses

another addition                            wide range of magical skills

Same response to above, this isn't a buff. Although the abilities of Deity Magic Users with Shamanism as a focus are an issue (One which, actually right at this moment, we're working on), It has no correlation to this lore, and as such can't be it a causation for criticism.

WHAT SHOULD CHANGE!

• Add ways for this concept to interact with more people, including:

~Physical changes on the host as an effect of these spirits.

~(Perhaps) An area of effect, where the spirit causes a radiation of the aspect they represent with the Host as a medium, who is more greatly effected due to proximity.

• Make sure people know this is an addition, not a classification! Not all mental illness is caused by these creatures, and as such:

~Shamans being able to cure it isn't a buff

~It isn't un-normalising normal mental illness. It's still a thing

• Although it involves Spirits, don't make it only classified to Shamans. Add different cures ranging for Alchemical Poisoning to Mental Mage Analysis.

Cheers,

~Food.

Makes more sense then, I support. I made a stray assumption while under duress from my aching bones. +1

I have edited in the fact that these spirits do NOT, I repeat, do NOT, cause EVERY SINGLE mental illness. Some people seem to think that my intention is for that to be so, but it is not. So, for the sake of having less/no more people complaining that I am making a natural thing 'magical', I am not. I am just giving a 'side branch' to it that gives the same effects as natural mental illness, but from a different source. If you wish to RP that the source is natural, due to a chemical imbalance, so be it! If you wish to RP that it is due to one of these spirits, great! Either way, you are not forced to choose one or the other.

WHAT SHOULD CHANGE!

• Add ways for this concept to interact with more people, including:

~Physical changes on the host as an effect of these spirits.

~(Perhaps) An area of effect, where the spirit causes a radiation of the aspect they represent with the Host as a medium, who is more greatly effected due to proximity.

• Make sure people know this is an addition, not a classification! Not all mental illness is caused by these creatures, and as such:

~Shamans being able to cure it isn't a buff

~It isn't un-normalising normal mental illness. It's still a thing

• Although it involves Spirits, don't make it only classified to Shamans. Add different cures ranging for Alchemical Poisoning to Mental Mage Analysis.

Cheers,

~Food.

Ahhh, this is good! I will write up some stuff for this, pronto! Thank you, Food! I'll have to add you to the list of people to thank ;)

Edited in a few more changes suggested by Food! You will find them in the 'Lore', 'Outline of Lore' and 'Red lines' section. Big thanks, Food!

I have edited in the fact that these spirits do NOT, I repeat, do NOT, cause EVERY SINGLE mental illness. Some people seem to think that my intention is for that to be so, but it is not. So, for the sake of having less/no more people complaining that I am making a natural thing 'magical', I am not. I am just giving a 'side branch' to it that gives the same effects as natural mental illness, but from a different source. If you wish to RP that the source is natural, due to a chemical imbalance, so be it! If you wish to RP that it is due to one of these spirits, great! Either way, you are not forced to choose one or the other.

Now that Hugo has added this change, I support the addition of this lore. It adds flavorful role-play that will allow for interesting transactions between characters, namely shamans and those afflicted with mental disorders.