Glyphs, Lore on Enchanting profession

Jistuma

The Glyphs!

What they are: The glyphs are symbols that when inscribed into tools create an unique effect. They have to be made of specific materials or they won't work. Badly made symbols will not work well or won't work at all. Each shape of Glyph has a different result, but only a few shapes work.

Limits in power: Their power is limited which means at most it can be used in heavy armor, and not big things such as walls nor buildings and the like. Placing too many symbols in a tool will cause a sort of short circuit which would destroy one of the glyphs. Better made glyphs have better chance of working with other glyphs. The glyphs also do not seem to work if done in living beings.

Discovery: After the return to Aos (the world where Aegis, Athera, Thales and Vailor are) the descendants discovered that some glyphs bestowed different properties into tools. The glyphs shapes seem to be different with location though, as they change and some even disappear as the descendants move from land to land. These glyphs did not exist in Aegis times, so it's assumed something changed as Aegis was destroyed.

How it works: The glyphs are made of special materials. Shaping the materials into the glyphs allows them to collect aura which will create something alike to enchanting in some cases. Things like improving durability and raising sharpness of iron are examples of what it does. Other things such as attracting fish have happened. It seems something like a natural magic, alike to how alchemy is both said to be natural and magical at the same time. This also means that glyphs cannot be turned on and off, they are always working.

Forbidden Glyphs: Like parts of alchemy, there would also be forbidden glyphs. Besides they requiring great skill to make, they would also be considered something unnatural or akind to dark magic. These would be glyphs which would consume something to give its effects.

Differences from Runesmithing: Runesmithing allows for choosing of logic to their runes. By combining the runes in certain ways, a runesmith is almost able to create a code or logic behind it. Runes are also able to create movement, such as doors, and connection with descendants, such as prerequisites for something to happen. Glyphs on the other hand are always active, they cannot be turned on or off.

Differences from Enchanting: Enchanting can create a lot of things that glyphs can, yet the biggest difference is the amount of things that Enchanting can do. Imbuing artifacts and tools with magical spells, has far more uses and far more room for change than the fixed glyphs. Illusion enchants, mind enchants, elemental enchants, transmutation, warding, many things that cannot be done by glyphs can be done by Enchanting. Enchants can also have a sort of logic to them, in which case they wouldn't be always active, unlike the glyphs which cannot be turned off.

I just decided to write lore on the Enchanting Profession. There has not been lore for it before, and everyone just rp's it the way they want. This way, I would be creating the profession, which would have... some magical aspects to it, yet not making the person that makes the enchantments need magical training. This would not stop players from rp'ing enchants as something different from glyphs (such as black steel being a sword with unbreaking enchant). Forbidden enchants allows me to code more interesting stuff and have events which have some.

First

And thank god. Finally some lore on it!

+1

Coming from someone who owns an enchanting shop and does plugin enchanting, it's very hard to say what you are doing to these objects in RP when you imbue them, and a lot of confusion arises with the whole "Enchanting" aspect. The Glyph lore would give a name to the well known art and provide some background lore to those who Plugin enchant.

Edited by Modern Man

+1

I especially like the idea of forbidden enchants, which would allow custom enchants! I would love for travelling enchants, stuff to make you move faster, or maybe throw an ender pearl by shooting a bow? 

But, I also believe that they should be expanded upon, and those that use them need to have some form of rule that they ahve to RP the negative effects of enchanting them.

What about fire aspect?

What about it?

The only issue I have is with the fact that it uses aura as a power source. I was reasonably certain that aura was simply a by-product of mana usage, and therefore, is inert? It would make little sense for it to up and start doing things when passed through a special shape made of special stuff.

Fam, why would you need lore? It is just going to get repealed 4 months from now. #trustory #dwarflyf #GottaMakeNewLoreToRepealOldLovedLore #emiRight