The Drunken Hare Inn

Crowbill

Nikolay slowly turns his head towards the man towards the corner, grunting loudly. "What does fancy word man think is so interesting, eh?" He takes his attention away from his drink, turning his body slowly in the chair towards Julian. "Make answer to me."

Edited by NTE_Killer4life

"Welh, d' lass wus 'ere before anyhwun came, and she's mature enuf tuh nut run around an' scream, most uf which children usualleh duh. Ahm nae sum 'igh elf tuh discrimate people!", he snarkly comments. " And Whiskeh s' cheap todeh, and gud enuf tuh enjoy d' peace", he says before he heads to grab a bottle of whiskey, but he spots Nikolay possibly starting a trouble so he goes to the child and whispers: "Ah suggest ye eit'er leave or hoide, cause ah smell sum trouble..."  before grabing a glass and whiskey for the gentleman that just arrived. "Duh yeh want d' bottle tuh, lad?" He asks while at the counter.

"The bottles fine," he says noticing the look from Nikolay from across the room.

With his right hand he reaches to his side and fumbles around for a second while maintaining eye contact with Nikolay.

After a moment he raises his fist from his side, clenched, and places it slowly on the table. Upon opening his hand, a few more coins to pay for the bottle are revealed. 

"Do I have a quarrel with you, sir?" he asks across the room. "I meet so many people in my travels, so perhaps I do. But I would think I would remember a character like yourself..." 

Dallin quickly places a bottle and the glass on the table and then goes back to the counter to get a good spectator spot if things go nasty. "T's been a while since ah quarrel 'appened. T's gonnah beh interestin..gud t'ing d'h furniture 's dwarven, soh ah dun't 'ave tuh pay fer et..." he murmurs.

Nikolay chuckles softly. "If we had quarrel then you would niet remember." He lifts the bottle to his lips, taking a swig from the bottle and sets it down roughly. "What is name, fancy word man?" Nikolay pulls out a piece of crinkled parchment, his list of enemies, looking it over.

Julian allows a smile to show as he grabs the glass with his left and and the bottle with his right. 

"I believe that would be true," he says while pouring the contents of the bottle into the glass. With the glass half full he sets the bottle back down on the table top.

Giving a small sigh he sinks back in his chair and takes a sip from the glass. He waits a moment and takes another sip from his glass.

"My name is Julian Argansi. And who might you be if you don't mind me asking?"

Nikolay brings the bottle to his lips, tilting his head back for a moment, letting the whiskey travel down his throat as he puts the parchment away. He sets the bottle down with a sigh. "Name is Nikolay... am suppose you are niet as yak brained as other people am met in travels." He chuckles to himself, scaratching his beard as he slowly relaxes his posture in the chair, easing back into it. "Make tell to me, what does Julian do for making of coin, eh?" He drinks from the bottle, emptying it as he slams it down loudly.

Edited by NTE_Killer4life

"Finished that bottle already have you?" Julian says taking another sip from the first glass he had poured. "Why not enjoy it like I am?"

Julian quickly waves his hand in front of him as if swatting the thought away.

"I'm a traveler, as you can tell from my garb," he says making a sweeping motion towards himself as if to highlight the clothing he wears. "So I do not have consistent employment. But that doesn't matter as my costs are little, especially when you don't mind drinking the cheapest alcohol around."

He turns to the barkeep and raises his glass as a symbol of thanks and turns back to Nikolay.

"So I take odd jobs here and there. I plant crops when the farmers are planting, harvest when they are needing to be harvested, and join up with small merchants who will pay a small amount for a travelling companion and protection. And through all of that I am able to make enough money to last me most of the year. I have been doing that since I left Petrus in Athera and I will likely continue doing that until all the sights crumble away or I can no longer travel." Julian takes a sip from his glass and adds, "Most likely the second one there."

"And yourself? What do you do?"

Nikolay coughs lightly into his left arm as he calls over to the bartender, slamming down more minas onto the counter. "Eja! Need more of whiskey!" He clears his throat, crossing his arms over his chest as he takes a deep breath, slowly exhaling after holding his breath for a moment. "Niet know much of past but probably for best. Many of people disliked my previous choosing of work." He snorts, chuckling a bit. "Though those who say it kiss ground with bloody lips." He brings a hand up to his beard, scratching it lightly, the sound of the hairs scraping against his fingernails breaks the silence afterwards as he continues to speak lowly. "Am used to be mercenary, earning the coin from whomever wanted job done, even if it involved making people go to sky." At this, his thumb slides across his throat as a gesture of the meaning. After the gesture, he lets his hand return to its crossed place. "But am trying to change ways of making coin. Last time I try job for royal yakbrains did niet go so well." He slowly shakes his head, going to lift up the part of his ripped tabard that covers his back, many long and nasty scars are revealed going diagonally on his back. He releases the tabard, letting it flow back over his exposed back. "I do niet like being told to do something that I do niet want to do..so I spoke out against royals but got severe punishment for making of speaking out against royals." Nikolay recloses his arms, letting them cross over each other once more. "To make change I recently made join of guard for city of Felsen to try and serve nation as best as I can." Nikolay lightly cracks his neck, the sound filling the tavern for a brief moment. "But I do niet like the pay...it is lower than job of mercenary. Hopefully I can get more of coin when I stay in Guard for long time." Nikolay takes a deep breath, impatiently waiting for his next bottle of whiskey, tapping his gloved fingers against the wooden bar. "So Da...that is what am do for coin." His other hand tapping the empty bottle.

While listening to Nikolay talk, Julian drinks from his glass, finishing it off. 

"A hard life you have had there, my friend," he says while pouring himself another half glass. "Being a mercenary is dirty work. No structure to your life, no honor nor respect. You're easily disposable and no one will raise a question as to why you're missing." 

Julian stands up from his chair with his glass in his left hand and picks up the bottle with his right.

"But if you say you have changed your ways than who am I to question that? You've become a guard, serving and protecting the people and the nation. Another hard life you have chosen but with a bit more honor to it." 

He makes his way across to the other side of the tavern to where Nikolay sits and places the bottle on top of the counter. 
"Finish it off if you like," he says looking over towards the barkeep. "He seems to be too busy waiting for something else to happen than serve you."

Julian takes a sip from his glass, drinking about half of its contents and then takes a step back. "I have little experience dealing with royals, mostly nobles if I am to be honest with you. But from what experience I do have, they can be real snobs. They think they're all powerful and can abuse anyone around them for their own personal gain." Julian shakes his head. "Which is exactly why I avoid any dealings with them. It's people like you and me who make this world what it is, so why bother with them who only take?"

"Ah fehk sorreh lad, ah wus jus' checkin d' storage..." Dallin smilies a bit ashamed. "Ah did 'ear a bit of yer conversation and ah 'ave tuh say yer are roight, lad" he continues "Even if d' lords and fanceh generals run d' keeps, t's d' men uf d' blade dat usualleh duh d' dirteh wurk fer dem...Boi deh way, do yeh need any ot'er drinks are yeh good as 't is ?" he asks the two humans.

Nikolay nods slowly, pointing at him whilst taking a small swig from the bottle. He sets down the bottle, sighing as he swallows. "Man has very good point." He eases himself back into the seat, scratching his beard. "Am niet sure why nobles even exist considering all they can make do of is be greedier than bearded midget." He looks over at the bartender. "Are you getting more whiskey or niet?" He grunts as he returns his gaze to Julian. "So, does Julian have lady in life or niet?" Nikolay takes another swig from the bottle, emptying it as he tilts his head back. He wipes his mouth with the sleeve of his arm. "Used to have lady in life but she left me for other man." He chuckles softly to himself. "Lets just say...she and that man does niet walk realm anymore. That is what traitors get and how am deal with them." Nikolay rests his hands on his lap, falling silent.

"Aye sure t'ing" he says as he grabs yet another bottle from the shelf and heading towards the human "'Ere yeh guh lad!" he exclaims before heading back to the bar, still listening to the conversation.

"A well deserved fate it seems."

Julian pauses for a moment and takes a sip of his drink. After lowering the glass from his lips, he sighs and his shoulders go slack.

"I see no harm in telling you," he mumbles. "Afraid there isn't a woman in my life. My guess is that is that way because of the nature of my lifestyle. No woman wants to be with a man who has little money to buy her gifts, or who is never in a place permanently. Always moving around I am..." his voice trails off.

"There was a woman at one point in my life, but it didn't last." Julian raises the glass to his lips and takes the final sip of whiskey and sets it down on the counter. "I had met her on the roads outside of Petrus. It was the first time in two years I had been near that city since I left my family there. We both were going in the same direction, where to I do not recall, and had decided that the trip would be made more entertaining if there was someone to talk to.

Like the young, inexperienced fool I was, I slowly fell for her.

She had a charm about her that you just couldn't resist falling in love with. The way she joked and the way she talked about the future that she imagined for herself. You just never wanted to leave her side..." Julian gives a sigh but soon after shakes his head as if snapping back into reality. 

"Mind you she wasn't bad looking. She was quite fair, that I do remember. But the details are lost to me. I could not recall her name or the colour of her hair even if someone held a knife to my throat and demanded such answers. 

But to make a long story short, we had stopped in a small town after a few weeks of travel. Tired and giving into the soreness of our bodies caused by sleeping outside, we decided that we would rent a room at the town's tavern.

When I awoke the next morning, she was gone. My clothes, which were set aside in a dirty pile after a long night of food and drink, were on the dresser, clean and folded. She had simply left without any other trace."

Julian pauses a moment and looks around the tavern. "Since then, the majority of the time I have traveled by myself. And I find that a feeling of loneliness creeps up on me more often than it has in the past.

Sometimes the thought gets in my head, 'Perhaps it is time to stop this and settle down?' it asks me. But I am conflicted as I want to see more of the world."

Julian shrugs and says, with all the energy drained from his voice, "I simply do not know...

There is a group near Felsen that I had met. They offered me a job a place there. More recently the thought of finally belonging to something has entered my mind and I have considered taking up their offer."

A small smile, seeming somewhat forced, appears on Julian's face as he attempts to change the topic. "You mentioned that you were a guard in Felsen. So tell me, what news about events near there reach your ears? Surely you must know of something going on in the area."