[✗] Corrosion of Immortal Essence

excited

THE CORROSION OF IMMORTAL ESSENCE

heretic_by_morkardfc-dabsigj.jpg

Author’s Note

When I wrote this lore in April, it was supposed to have been accepted but due to unknown reasons -- whether it be confusion on my behalf or the LMs being rather busy at the time, or actual denial for other unknown reasons I have decided to repost it in its current state, having noticed the prior piece, despite it being “accepted” wasn’t up to date.

Following the acceptance of Wraiths as a playable creature I had to make some modifications to my lore, seeing as the previous “Enwraithed” state was very much like Môrdring’s creatures. I would like to think that in the past 3-4 months despite all this confusion, the article has improved significantly and has been ironed out to the point where it can stand on its own in LoTC’s canonical lore.

Now, contrary to what people might expect, Wraiths and Nephilim have many notable differences in both their roles and overall purpose. It should also be noted that although Wraiths and Nephilim have similarities, Nephilim did indeed precede the Wraith lore and were originally written by me, Swgrclan, and Voorhis. Without further ado, here is the updated article.

tomb_of_nephilim_by_randize.jpg

Explanation:

These are the prominent differences between Nephilim and Wraiths, despite their similarities they are very incompatible and do not share the same utilities.

Wraiths are incorporeal, Nephilim are corporeal. Wraiths are undead, Nephilim are living transcendents.

Wraiths are ashy, and cannot wear armor. Nephilim tediously maintain their draconic bodies and due to that, can bear arms and armor.

Wraiths are produced through a bone catalyst bestowed by the drake Satar, Nephilim are produced from a ritual that invokes the direct power of a drakaar and fuses immortal essence with mortal blood.

Wraiths are prominently susceptible to fire whereas Nephilim are unscathed by it entirely.

Nephilim, due to their nature as a transcendent with a glitched soul blueprint can change their features through very exhausting meditation. Wraiths disguise themselves via ‘husking.’

Nephilim exist as a method to which a drakaar, due to their inability to breed and produce offspring, to pass on their physical and mental traits for their own aims. Wraiths were created as a means for Môrdring to have servants to usher in a new age of dragons and birth new dragonkin through descendant life-force.

Wraithdom is a means of undeath, whereas Nephilim are living beings who take on draconic traits.

Properties of Dragon Blood

In retrospect, dragon blood serves as a malleable force for transformation. All dragons in the hierarchy bear the immortal essences of the daemon Dragur, and because of this they are capable of acting as a catalyst for greater powers through immolation, blanketing the soul in a perverse darkness and birthing a new entity through the change to the mortal coil.

Physiology

When Nephilim are slain their coil degenerates into a loose gathering of particles which can be blown away with the wind to reform elsewhere. Because of the gradual darkening of their fractured souls, they are unable to make use of deific magics. Their eyes grow noticeably reptilian and they become cold blooded, greatly weakened when traversing chilly climates. This elemental waring is just one of their many flaws, because of the nature of their tainted bodies and shattered souls they are susceptible to both holy magic and aurum.

Due to the nature of their glitched soul blueprint, however, they are also able to shape-shift to a slight degree through rigorous meditation. This meditation allows for Nephilim to shed or gain a few inches of height and change the color of their pigments or facial structure, they can also add or remove physical scarring from their figure.

Psyche

There is a great shift in mentality following the transformation which often leads to a lack of homogeneity with the other far more humanoid races. They grow obsessed with objects of relevance and historical value, and preserve trinkets from their past. This behavior is compulsive and part of their nature, and could even grow maddening as the years go by.

Metamorphosis

IHheHZV.png

There’s one method for ascending to Draugardom, a ritual dubbed as “the Transference.”

The chosen candidate is bestowed Draugardom through the use of elixir acquiesced through slaying a dragon or asking for its blessing. To reverse the process you must feed somebody a secret concoction which is rumored to contain wyvern blood and nightshade.

The elixir itself is imbued with the transformative power of a dragon and allows the transition between coils to be rather swift, albeit painful.

Pros

• Alive, they bear mortal functions, asides from their sterility.
  • Longevity: they are unable to die and are resurrected upon being slain through the alternative method of regeneration. Death rules still apply.
  • Preserved Physique: their bodies are at the peak of physical condition.
  • Temporal Resistance: immune to fire that isn’t generated through holy means.
  • Lesser shape-shifting, thorough understanding of the Dark Tongue.

Cons

• Soulbound Aversion: holy or “aengulic” magic has the capacity to damage Nephilim. However, Nephilim are not tainted -- it is on that basis that one can conclude Tahariaen clericism is not as effective as Ascended or Xan magic, which deals more damage on account of their shattered souls and draconic bodies.
  • Darkened Soul: unable to possess deity-sourced magics of any kind.
  • Golden Suffering: susceptible to aurum due to the nature of their body acting as a “tether” to which their lifeforce is held in limbo, rather than flowing openly.
  • Draconic Traits: they are cold blooded and thus weakened in cold terrain, they possess reptilian eyes no matter what form they take.
  • Mental Contortion: loss of humanoid identity, gradually becoming more and more like their creator. Compulsively intrigued by objects of relevance or historical value.
  • Being Nephilim itself takes up two magic sub-types due to the buffs, thus they may only hold three magic types; one masterful, two adept.

Their Contribution to Role-Play

WFTZtyR.gif

- Nephilim don't exist as an antagonizing force, but a means to transcend by means of magic. This means their alignment may be dynamic and they may take any side depending on the qualities of the character.

- Nephilim in the case they do choose to become antagonists, can prove to be quite a force to oppose, though can be killed in reason. They may die like all other physical beings, which gives players a fair chance against a stronger force.

- Draugardom can be sought by anyone who wishes to go through the ritual, meaning players can have an additional, dark-sided goal to pursue.

Draconic Hierarchy

Dragur

/                   \

Dragaar                     - Drakaar

\   Draugar   /

/                           \

Dragon  -                          - Drake

Dragur is the daemon or "source" from which this transformation comes, without his essence its impossible to ascend to Draugardom. His essence is contained in the blood of "sentient" or Greater Dragonkin and thus is not carried by bestial dragonkin like dragons or drakes. Nephilim fall under neither category because while they can be considered dark creatures, they don't exist to ravage the world or protect it, they simply follow through on their own aims. 

MECHANICS:

- When successfully completing the ritual, you must apply with the following prefix in the Magic Apps forum:

- [CA] [Necrolyte] (Name)'s Nephilim Application.

If accepted, the player receives Necrolyte buffs.

FAQ:

- Unlike most dark entities, Nephilim are without a doubt alive.

- Draugar do not contain more life-force than the average individual nor can they avoid any curses brought on by the use of darker magics asides from physical degradation. Mental side effects and other factors such as insomnia brought on by Shade or Blood Magic will remain. Furthermore, if Nephilim use Necromancy and do not feed they do indeed degrade since they are rejecting what's considered their normal flow of life-force.

- Nephilim are also dubbed: Darkreavers, Draugr, and Draugar.

Citation:

Dragonkin
Original Corrosion of Immortal Essence

I'm really rather confused at this point; if this was supposed to accepted why has it been re-posted over and over again?

11 hours ago, Redxophos said:

I'm really rather confused at this point; if this was supposed to accepted why has it been re-posted over and over again?

Because the LT hate the lore no matter how many changes are added to it, and apparently it wasn't accepted before even though it passed by 1-2 votes (?). 

The points made against your lore the last time were:

"This lore has been denied.

To us, the creature seemed like something that would remain very obscure to the general server populace and be relegated to only a few players. This could be remedied if the very specific requirements for the transformation were made a bit less restrictive. 

There are also some who feel the server already has a great deal of creatures, and specifically ones of the dark sort, and so this lore would only exacerbate what many see as the saturation of the server with dark creatures and magic."

Though I cannot help with the latter as it is up to opinion, the former is definitely something you can change! Why not describe the ritual more? See, the issue raised here is that it seems to be limited to necromancer blood mages only (with the ritual confirming this; "genus-enhanced lifeforce"), which is something very rare. Perhaps by describing the ritual more, you can explain why the first point is moot?

47 minutes ago, Mephistophelian said:

The points made against your lore the last time were:

"This lore has been denied.

To us, the creature seemed like something that would remain very obscure to the general server populace and be relegated to only a few players. This could be remedied if the very specific requirements for the transformation were made a bit less restrictive. 

There are also some who feel the server already has a great deal of creatures, and specifically ones of the dark sort, and so this lore would only exacerbate what many see as the saturation of the server with dark creatures and magic."

Though I cannot help with the latter as it is up to opinion, the former is definitely something you can change! Why not describe the ritual more? See, the issue raised here is that it seems to be limited to necromancer blood mages only (with the ritual confirming this; "genus-enhanced lifeforce"), which is something very rare. Perhaps by describing the ritual more, you can explain why the first point is moot?

Will do.

Also:

1- What is the extent of their shapeshifting capabilities?

2- Upon death, what happens to them? Do they reform? If so, where?

3- If their bodies are preserved and physically at their peak, how do they react when the individual practices necromancy? Are they affected in any way by the physical drawbacks of practicing magic?

4- Why can't they use arcane magics? (This isn't necessary but I'm still interested)

5- What exactly does it mean when a person is marked by a Dragaar or Drakaar?

6- Is there any way to properly kill them off? Currently, all immortal beings have a way. Does this?

3 hours ago, Mephistophelian said:

Also:

1- What is the extent of their shapeshifting capabilities?

2- Upon death, what happens to them? Do they reform? If so, where?

3- If their bodies are preserved and physically at their peak, how do they react when the individual practices necromancy? Are they affected in any way by the physical drawbacks of practicing magic?

4- Why can't they use arcane magics? (This isn't necessary but I'm still interested)

5- What exactly does it mean when a person is marked by a Dragaar or Drakaar?

6- Is there any way to properly kill them off? Currently, all immortal beings have a way. Does this?

1. Essentially they can over time gradually shed or gain 4 inches in height and perhaps 10-15 lbs in weight, they can change their bone structure slightly and can (painfully) change their ears and teeth. They can heal their own scarred tissue as well when in a deep trance, but that's the extent of their abilities outside of reconstruction. They can change their pigments through meditation as well and they have noticeable traits that distinctly only Nephilim have, yellow, lizard-like eyes and very rough skin. They are cold-blooded and greatly weakened in chilly terrain.

2. Their body disintegrates into dust/ash, leaving their lively possessions behind. This dust/ash is scattered with the wind and ends up somewhere else for re-spawning in the real world rather than a temple or abyss seeing as Mordring condemns their existence and the Monks would not be able to retrieve a soul that's fractured to the extent of theirs. They adhere to the server rules, and thus don't remember anything about their death or the circumstances leading up to it- they don't even realize they perished, no matter what.

3. They are not effected by the drawbacks of the practice, it's one of their perks. 

4. Fractured soul, when Swgrclan originally helped me with the lore I made it clear these would be the pinnacle of Xionism; living things that adhere to lively laws while also being unique in the retrospect that they can't hope to do things that mages would do. Due to this, Nephilim can only use boons bestowed by a dragaar/drakaar or Mortal Arts such as Necromancy, Mysticism, Blood Magic, and Soul Puppetry/hexing. Fi'hiiran'tanya is moot since you need a voidal connection to practice, and Nephilim contain fractured souls that can't bind a second one to their whims.

5. It's essentially a spiritual connection gifted through reverence/indoctrination or through doing something significant, like killing a dragon yourself. I will explain the process further in the piece shortly, but essentially in the forceful marking process:

- You create a runic/ceremonial blade.
- You kill a dragon with it/wound a dragon with it somehow and splatter it with their blood, that imbues the blade with the blood. 
- You impale yourself with the sword, you tear it out and if you survive you undergo the Transference. Keep in mind you don't die, and it's not suicide.

Keep in mind Nephilim do not have healing abilities, they figuratively "die" from poisoning and reawaken as a different entity entirely. 

6. Any way that you'd kill the average person, while also adding on the cold, aurum, and all forms of holy magic asides from Tahariaen magic since they're not tainted creatures. Xan magic is extra effective due to the nature of their draconic heritage, and Ascended magic is extra effective due to their fractured souls. They're also susceptible to slayer steel. Fyi; Nephilim are just lesser dragonkin.

1 hour ago, Aerial said:

3. They are not effected by the drawbacks of the practice, it's one of their perks. 

6. Any way that you'd kill the average person, while also adding on the cold, aurum, and all forms of holy magic asides from Tahariaen magic since they're not tainted creatures. Xan magic is extra effective due to the nature of their draconic heritage, and Ascended magic is extra effective due to their fractured souls. They're also susceptible to slayer steel. Fyi; Nephilim are just lesser dragonkin.

3- I think one of the issues was that this is extremely abusable. The only drawback of necromancy is this physical weakness. Does this now mean a necromancer Nephlim doesn't need to replenish their lifeforce?

6- I phrased that wrong. Can they be permanently killed?

Just now, Mephistophelian said:

3- I think one of the issues was that this is extremely abusable. The only drawback of necromancy is this physical weakness. Does this now mean a necromancer Nephlim doesn't need to replenish their lifeforce?

6- I phrased that wrong. Can they be permanently killed?

3. No, they replenish their life-force. They still tire, and they still need to "feed" or drain more life-force.

6. Yes, either by the "Arch-Nephilim" which should this be passed would obviously be me, or when they decide to be slain by a player. When they are perma'd they also turn to dust/ash and their ashes get blown around, their soul never makes it to the Soul Stream and instead just floats about in the world as scattered ectoplasm that lacks any real identity. 

Just now, Aerial said:

3. No, they replenish their life-force. They still tire, and they still need to "feed" or drain more life-force.

6. Yes, either by the "Arch-Nephilim" which should this be passed would obviously be me, or when they decide to be slain by a player. When they are perma'd they also turn to dust/ash and their ashes get blown around, their soul never makes it to the Soul Stream and instead just floats about in the world as scattered ectoplasm that lacks any real identity. 

Maybe include some info about what makes an "Arch-Nephilim" then?

And also perhaps include a part that outlines how lacking lifeforce makes them just as physically weak as it does any necromancer, and they must feed as every necromancer must feed to keep their physical prowess, even though their physical form is kept strong.

I'm not sure what's been suggested already, but how about expanding the creation aspect and immortality. As of now it seems the only way to become a Nephilim is by finding Dragon blood. I've seen two kinds of dragons in RP before; the RP'd kind (only once), and the one that was randomly thrown into an event because a certain ET got bored. Are there no other ways?

Also, the immortality doesn't seem to do much as of now. It's like having an Elf character, in which age doesn't affect you but you still suffer from everything else. Anyway to change it?

Updated: means to better allow a broader category of players to become Nephilim have been made, and a way to reverse the boon as well should people fall prey to inactivity or **** conduct. 

I'm sorry to say that this lore has been Denied.

There are some problems that still exist in this lore, and Hugo has stated that he will try to help it out. The lore seems fixated on stating that they are not alike wraiths, that it almost forgets to say what they look like (alike from the different eyes and the cold blood). The rp that this creature would bring to the server is also almost untouched in the lore, the closest thing being a character being closer to a dragaar/drakaar, and becoming more like them, yet the rp the creature itself would bring, it's purpose for the server roleplay, it left quite vague.

Once more, speak with Hugo (Mephistophelian), he stated that he would help out rewrite the lore. It needs to be re-written from scratch, not edited.