[Anti Magic Addition] Soul Division

The King Of The Moon

The Mutilation Of The Soul

Brief explanation of Anti Magic in its current form

It is a common known fact that for the function of what is known as Fi'hirran'tayna or, 'Anti Magic', to commence one's tutelage they must first sacrifice the soul of another and have it forced into their own form by their tutor. This is a strenuous process though essential for the magic's function, the second soul serves as a means to expunging Mana away from a target or into the Void by the assistance and control of the host's own soul.

To combat the issue of reliance on the traditional system of taking another's life to serve one's own self as a tool against the magical elements of this world, a conflict of interests for which many label dispelling Magi as 'heretics' and 'evil', the common ritual of apprenticeship passed on for aeons by each generation of Elibar'acal and the house's friends has been manipulated and revitalised by the newer, more exotic practitioners beyond Haelun'or. Where once the soul of another was needed to be equipped by a student, an alternative - albeit possibly more sinister method has  been discovered, in which a teacher might instead choose another path for his student to take. Through immense focusing of their evoked mist upon the soul of their student, where once it might've bound two together it'd instead cleave one en twain by forcing Mana into it and pushing it outwards in a separating motion.

If this event is successful, the result would be an individual forever scarred - a third of their soul missing from its natural place, taking with it the soul's purity and leaving it susceptible to not only Ascended attack as a normal Anti Mage would, but the damage of all Holy Magic (Xan's mist and Tahariae's flames - essentially that which would usually harm Undead, though less effectively) and even traditional Anti Magic should the practitioner not first dispel their opponent's approaching attack. This is because the missing third of the soul is kept with the body as a shadow of its former self - akin that which a Ghoul might possess - rendering the Anti Mage as partially Undead in such a regard.

This shadow soul may be purposed akin to a stolen soul wielded by a normal user of Fi'hirran'tayna for its practical use, however the mental defects suffered would be somewhat dissimilar - instead of experiencing the ailment of another presence forever bound to torment for which they are responsible, prying to disturb their consciousness where necessary, causing severe lucid dreams, hallucinations, extreme nausea and insomnia in this instance similar outcomes would occur however due in fact to the unnerving influence of a lesser version of themselves; The shadow soul maintaining some identity from its prior wholeness and suffering equally to a stolen soul, flung into perpetual agony as it is seemingly manipulated time and time again by what it recognises as itself, continually begging the stronger soul for a unity that may never come and lashing out on the stronger half of the soul in the same way a stolen soul would against the host.

The purpose for this addition

The traditional system works with current lore and I intend for it to remain, however, it is also problematic - it is no secret that presently Anti Mages are scarce and this, I believe, is due to both the IC stigma given to Anti Mages for having stolen a target's soul, making them generally unwanted by most populations as demonstrated with the contravention Golden Owl as well as the OOC stress of trying to obtain the magic when many players with the potential to serve as a sacrifice for Anti Mage's learning simply do not wish to grant OOC consent to permanently killing their character, understandably so. It is these issues that have lead me to try and rectify the inactive state of this magic with the following suggested lore.

Pros:

• Anti Mages can now be made without the necessity to PK another character (though it is still an option in which the traditional system remain) and may therefore hopefully become more of an accessible magic for many players.

• Opportunity for Anti Magic to grow more widespread due to it being less RPly frowned upon (my intention being to keep the details of this ritual hidden ICly as well as I can).

• Same ability as normal Anti Mages.

Cons:

• Same Cons and Red Lines as normal Anti Magic which MUST be RP'd. This will offer no difference in physical effects as Tempered Fi did.

• Still can NOT learn any other magic or have practised any other magic to Fi'hirran'tayna.

• Susceptible to ALL Holy Magic and the magic of Traditional Anti Mages, which grows cripplingly painful and can eventually kill the individual, also rendering them unable to cast for an IRL day if harmed enough.

• The Anti Mage's soul can NOT be repaired or re-purposed (EG in a Phylactery or Golem Core) once it is damaged and if revived by Monks, the Anti Mage's shadow soul will not function to its proper capacity until after an IRL hour.

I think you guys should focus on rewriting the Fi lore. I'm not asking that you change it at all, just that it is rewritten to be easy to understand. That could be one factor that could attract potential players.

2 minutes ago, Mephistophelian said:

I think you guys should focus on rewriting the Fi lore. I'm not asking that you change it at all, just that it is rewritten to be easy to understand. That could be one factor that could attract potential players.

This is something I'd agree on - there's presently little guidance or confirmation for new Anti Mages beyond what can be offered by Lore Masters and older Anti mages, however I'm unsure if I'd be able to do so alone and am the only active Anti Mage I know of. Better lore keeping for Fi would indeed help, however the present issue of having to PK a character has ultimately been the downfall of its RP opportunities as they'll seldom be permitted to practice without the disapproval of most nations and the magic's downsides alongside dealing with those whom refuse to PK characters being problematic enough. The magic, in my opinion, being of too little prowess or functionality to make a worthwhile 'dark' order outside of the public eye as well and making this change necessary if it's ever to be practised with stability in future.

Just now, Valmir said:

This is something I'd agree on - there's presently little guidance or confirmation for new Anti Mages beyond what can be offered by Lore Masters and older Anti mages, however I'm unsure if I'd be able to do so alone and am the only active Anti Mage I know of. Better lore keeping for Fi would indeed help, however the present issue of having to PK a character has ultimately been the downfall of its RP opportunities as they'll seldom be permitted to practice without the disapproval of most nations and the magic's downsides alongside dealing with those whom refuse to PK characters being problematic enough. The magic, in my opinion, being of too little prowess or functionality to make a worthwhile 'dark' order outside of the public eye as well and making this change necessary if it's ever to be practised with stability in future.

I have to say, this magic would be incredibly useful and accepted if the practitioners of the magic went and decided to be a 'dark' order. I'd know :) As for rewriting it: I suggest you contact Connor/Supremacy about it?

Just now, Mephistophelian said:

I have to say, this magic would be incredibly useful and accepted if the practitioners of the magic went and decided to be a 'dark' order. I'd know :) As for rewriting it: I suggest you contact Connor/Supremacy about it?

He's not active - though I offer you my heartfelt support in getting him back to LoTC :P

24 minutes ago, Valmir said:

I offer you my heartfelt support in getting him back to LoTC :P

Lol...anyways I think this is a step in the right direction. 

Quick clarification!

The argument that a damaged soul may not influence mana should not apply, if any others are under the impression of such - for if that was the case then Wraiths and other creatures would be unable to cast.

No, Hugo, don't tell him to get Connor, last time Connor rewrote Fi lore it was incredibly broken and overpowered. Also, maybe you should change your wording a li'l bit, my metal-jawed compadre, making the magic "widespread" doesn't sound very appealing. It should still be kept at least somewhat closely guarded, just due to... the fact that it is quite a strong magic. "Widespread" remind me of any little old nubbin being able to get their hands on it.

Oh, and another thing, don't try to do what Connor did (if you do end up getting the magic active again) and paint it as a "good/holy magic". It really isn't, even as badly as some people may want it to be.

2 minutes ago, KorusPrime said:

No, Hugo, don't tell him to get Connor, last time Connor rewrote Fi lore it was incredibly broken and overpowered. Also, maybe you should change your wording a li'l bit, my metal-jawed compadre, making the magic "widespread" doesn't sound very appealing. It should still be kept at least somewhat closely guarded, just due to... the fact that it is quite a strong magic. "Widespread" remind me of any little old nubbin being able to get their hands on it.

Oh, and another thing, don't try to do what Connor did (if you do end up getting the magic active again) and paint it as a "good/holy magic". It really isn't, even as badly as some people may want it to be.

Right - so can you please add a little more to that? Having it 'widespread' doesn't mean It'll be given to everyone and their mother, it just means more Fi mages than present (That figure currently being me alone lol).

As for the opinion on it being painted as "good/holy" in the post I'm sorry if it came across that way but it wasn't intentional. The lore is still effectively rendering you susceptible to all holy magic because of how UNholy Fi is in reality, what's your opinion on the workings of the lore and its purpose?

Sorry if that appears to be coming across as passive aggressive or anything! I just want to understand your issues better! :P

Widespread by definition means "found or distributed over a large area or number of people". It doesn't simply mean fixing the inactivity problem. As for my opinion of the lore, it's well written, seems okay now that I've heard a bit more about it, and I think it could help raise activity. Also, as for the holy part, I was referring to the fact that the character of your's who practices Fi' is in fact a Holy Knight of Oren.
Anywho, that's my two cents. Do with it what you will. :)

I don't like the idea of bypassing the need for a second soul. 

Just now, Aerial said:

I don't like the idea of bypassing the need for a second soul. 

Something of concern, though I'd like to hope the way I've worked in debuffs might counterbalance the change.

An addition that I'm quite fond of myself, a way to 'bypass' the need for a PK normally required is nice in some cases, this one of them. I'm also glad that it has more red lines, since that's simply more sensible. +1