[✓] [Daemon] Valaen

Valaen

Daemon of Freedom Alignment: True Neutral

”What light is to the eyes - what air is to the lungs - what love is to the heart, liberty is to the soul of man.”

Throughout the ages, freedom has been understood to be the highest form of good in the world. In the realms of the most valiant lords, protected by the greatest of warriors, and fostered by the wisest of minds, freedom has always found its root in Descendant society. Through this truth, the races have perhaps always misconstrued their liberty as inherently noble, and not simply a gift from the noble. After all, for every free society in this world, there is another that represses its denizens. Even in those nations that tote their tolerance, there are always those lurking in the shadows, waiting to steal it away. This is the way of the Descendents.

Valaen’s regular intrusions into the lives of men are documented sporadically throughout history. Known to be a trickster, he is accredited to many strange happenings along the centuries, including a great many interdimensional chicken abductions, the destruction of several Anthosian villages, and the otherwise unexplainable appearance of several interesting and exotic species of bird. While his intentions and methods are not always clear, it is often clear enough when the Daemon has deemed to make himself present. If nothing else, he is a loud, personable figure. His mind and actions meander both often and extensively, and many of those who have witnessed him have gone on to describe his charismatic and bizarre interactions with them. Valaen, like his domain, is an airy, carefree soul, but while his intentions are often noble, he has been known to take malicious course against others when it suits him. Never does he do it of evil or hatred, but often in the aim of delivering freedom unto others, or to exercise his own. As is with most things Valaen does, these acts of aggression are often hard to read and difficult to understand. The simple fact is that by his nature, Valaen is prone to acts that are both random and pointless.

Often considered to be one of the most unpredictable deities of the realm, Valaen often humors himself in ways which most self respecting Aenguldaemons would never dream of, for fear of either retribution or disgrace. Valaen regularly defies the codes of higher beings to mingle and interfere in the realms as it pleases him, for he is unshackled from the weight of responsibility and etiquette. While this behavior makes him something of an outcast among his fellows, the Daemon has no perceptible regard for his lowly position in his immortal society, nor for the salvation or destruction he leaves in his wake. Often, it is a mix of both.

Although he has no true entitlement, Valaen claims the sky as his holding, citing the freedom of the sphere of flight-- the ability to go in any direction one pleases. Indeed, he holds a special fascination with the idea of flying creatures, looking with pity upon the races forced to live their lives trapped against the ground. Below, petty races build their walls, scribe their laws, and extort gold from their citizens. Valaen looks upon all such surface dwellers with discontent-- the structure and regiment of the world below saps away at the freedom of the people who live there, and Valaen would like nothing more to see it all crumble. With a lack of civilization, the world would know true and utter freedom. His chosen and final race of servants, the Harpies, have been known to carry out attacks aimed at high profile figures of authority, and if it could be said that the Daemon has a grand plan, it would be to grant mortals true freedom, Anarchy.

While many have described such chaos as evil, Valaen sees himself as a hero to those below, and the last hope the Races have to acquire that which he desperately longs to give them.

Development Log: It is my belief that to have a truly immersive universe, you must build not only an expansive universe, but an interactive one. With that in mind, it is my hope to expand upon the list of deities in LOTC, and to facilitate more in terms of player interaction with “core lore.” What are the deities of LOTC up to? Hardly any have ever even been played, and these are often custom-created by staff to suit the needs of this event or that. There are a great many who have never seen any real purpose other than as body paragraphs in the deities page on the wiki. By writing lore for active and involved gods -- such as one who revels in whimsy, and is as unpredictable as the wind, staff will be able to draw from a greater reservoir of resources in order to facilitate interesting and unique events.

By tieing in Harpies and other flying creatures to this Daemon, we start to build a system around him which becomes known and characteristic of that entity. Events sponsoring him will, if doctored correctly, contain certain key elements that will allow players to place the identity of their ally or foe, and add a layer of depth to the scenario. In his lore, he is given the potential for both good and evil, making him a potential figure of controversy, and giving those who wish to run events around him great freedom in terms of how to structure said event. It is my belief that this character has the potential to be a great figure on LOTC.

The purpose of this lore is to create a deity with which to easily conduct supernatural/high fantasy events and quests, and to establish framework for the Hemelytra lore. They are being submitted separately so that even in the circumstance that the Hemelytra are denied, this can still be of use to the server. 

1 hour ago, Wolf Druid Ouity said:

Freedom

37 minutes ago, Sir K Andruske said:

I really enjoy this lore. To be honest I hope I get to see both this and your Hemelytra in action! 

Oh but You definitely need concept art dude.

18j23jolc3nwejpg.jpg

Tis some good **** right there.

Is this some kind of thinly veiled ploy to model a Daemon after the avian representative of the United States of Freedom?

On 11/8/2016 at 10:16 AM, Swgrclan said:

Is this some kind of thinly veiled ploy to model a Daemon after the avian representative of the United States of Freedom?

No, but now that you mention it the parallel is pretty interesting.

It was more a case of wanting to create an entity which would act on whim often. I would have just made him the Daemon of the Sky or something, but every single deity in LOTC has some sort of weird, abstract patronage like courage and I figured it safer to follow the trend. "Freedom" has a better ring than "whimsy" and it opens the door for people to interpret him in different ways IG (See: liberator or chaos inducer).

6 hours ago, Wolf Druid Ouity said:

No, but now that you mention it the parallel is pretty interesting.

It was more a case of wanting to create an entity which would act on whim often. I would have just made him the Daemon of the Sky or something, but every single deity in LOTC has some sort of weird, abstract patronage like courage and I figured it safer to follow the trend. "Freedom" has a better ring than "whimsy" and it opens the door for people to interpret him in different ways IG (See: liberator or chaos inducer).

Granted, I was being facetious; I like the idea, anyway. As you said, there's been a trend for Aengudaemons to have a deep abstract design to them - which is okay, as that kind of lore is always as good as this kind - but something feasible and simplistic being thrown into the pot won't do any harm.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon.