[✗] [Event Creature] The Mirrormen

Dragonslayerelf

So I was cleaning up my google drive and I came across this bit of lore that I never got around to posting, not sure what the main idea was or what I intended to add so I'm just going to post it as-is and see if yall like it.

The Journal of Sergeant Wizenheimer

2nd of the Grand Harvest, 1622, Late at Night

I could’ve sworn we were being followed. I’ve seen the shadow of a man track us, but I’m not quite sure about whether he’s a friend or a foe. He’s just… following us. It’s probably just my imagination. We’re sent out on a scouting detail, me and my three men, I’m probably thinking that I’m seeing the enemy in every corner. I’ll consult my men tomorrow.

3rd of the Grand Harvest, 1622, Midday

I didn’t see the figure at all today, but the hairs on the back of my neck keep on perking up. Feels like someone’s watching me. I don’t think anyone’s there, though, as we passed through a valley not ten minutes before we made camp, would’ve been the best spot to ambush us.

3rd of the Grand Harvest, 1622, Dusk

One of my men, Fritz disappeared into the woods after investigating something in the bush. We heard a yell, figured he got spooked by something. We got to the spot where we heard it, though, and there wasn’t much there. A patch of blood, maybe. But,

[!] The rest of this entry appears to have been erased as it was written

Good news! One of my men found him, apparently he’d been attacked by a wolf that ran off. Explains the blood rather fittingly.

4th of the Grand Harvest, 1622, Morning

Fritz has been acting rather strangely lately. He didn’t want to eat the eggs we made in the morning, which is strange because he normally loves eggs. Hm, whatever spooked him last night must’ve shaken him a bit, he’s practically vibrating. Looks like he’s cold, though it’s a rather warm day, actually I’m sweating in my armor.

4th of the Grand Harvest, 1622, Afternoon

One of our men, Geruld this time, disappeared into the woods again, except this time it doesn’t look like he’s going to be coming back. He went on patrol with Fritz after the pair thought they heard something in the woods, poor Fritz came back, still shaken, and told us to come look. Looks like the poor soul’d been eaten by some large beast. Whole chunk of him on the side was just, gone. Fritz said they’d been attacked by a bear, I don’t quite think it was a bear though. Might be another large beast. Poor lad’s still shaken, it seems, next thing you know a deer’ll impale one of us!

4th of the Grand Harvest, Night

Goddamnit I probably jinxed us. Fritz went out on patrol with one of my last men and apparently he got gored by a buck who was fleeing from a wolf. Fritz, the coward he is, ran like the wind and it looks like the wolf took a few bites out of Harold. Well, it’s still us two. We’ll make out alright. Might have a traitor on our hands, though it can’t be coincidence that Fritz let them die both times...

5th of the Grand Harvest, Midday

We stopped to eat and… I’m not sure Fritz is Fritz anymore. He avoided his food entirely, and I cooked up a rabbit we’d killed a while back and proposed we eat it in memory of Harold and Geruld. Now that I think of it he had been staring at the two before they disappeared, and his eyes… his eyes looked like they had a fierce hunger in them. I dismissed it as him being hungry as we hadn’t eaten yet but...  Now I’m not entirely sure that’s Fritz at all. I’m going to ride away from this camp on my horse tonight. Hopefully, he doesn’t see me go.

5th of the Grand Harvest, Night

Fritz, he’s different, definitely. I got on my horse and I went at full pelt and somehow he - and I’m sure it was him, but he looked like Geruld - popped up in front of me and his mouth opened wider than any mouth should open. I’m currently writing this in a hollow that I’m hiding in, hopefully he do

[!] The rest of the page is stained with blood.

History of Mirrormen

Mirrormen are creatures that lack any definite shape and are born into the world by one Mirrorman splitting apart into two. Mirrormen are able to take the form of any humanoid beings they take a bite out of. When not disguised as a humanoid, they appear as a dark shadow of a naked man or woman depending upon what they feel like. It is believed that the first mirrorman was an alchemist, illusioner and an enchanter who tried to mix all three of his talents to create a potion that made him appear to be anyone he chose. When he ingested the potion, he turned into a dark, shadowy blob and found that he could split himself into multiple versions of himself every elvish week. Every time he fragmented himself, however, he became less and less human, slowly stripping away his morality, his purpose, and his sanity.

Workings

Mirrormen can only eat the flesh of a Descendant to nourish themselves, and as such they get no nourishment from consuming Hou-Zi, Kharajyr, or any other race that is not a descendant. Mirrormen do not starve, and instead they simply become more ravenous, desperate and beastlike. Mirrormen do not grow old, nor do they seek the many things that descendants often seek. They’re not after riches, wealth, or power, and they mostly only rely on base instinct alone. Mirrormen are known to, however, have telltale signs that give them away. They shiver in the heat and appear perfectly fine in the cold, they refuse to eat anything that isn’t the flesh of a descendant, and their personality changes drastically. How their personality changes differs depending upon the mirrorman. Mirrormen are supernaturally fast and strong, able to barely keep up with a racehorse, and have an elastic quality to their bodies that allows them to take an amazing amount of physical punishment. They are, however, still harmed by common metals and blades. When mirrormen die they first shed their guise and then appear to coagulate into a black blob at the floor. The blob then turns a sickly yellow color and remains there unless someone picks it up, having similar properties to gelatin. The blob has no special properties.

Red Lines

Mirrormen are not immaterial.

Mirrormen are not impervious to all attacks, and things such as axes, swords, etc, will still "tear" them like a thick rubber band.

Mirrormen are strictly to be used as an event creature.

Thank you for submitting your piece! Expect a verdict in about 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, this lore is denied. The team doesn't feel that this differs much from existing creatures that exist to feed on others. If an ET wishes to use this in an event, they may, but overall we do not feel that this belongs as a constant existing creature.

Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.