PiousChorale_

Forum Moderator Update Log - May 2018

FM Update Log - May 2018

40200aa4ca70e8684a22462344eb7d70.png

Greetings, and welcome to the May update log for the Forum Moderation Team. With dogbew’s leave, I will be taking over as the Director of the team, and I hope that together we can make more of an impact and rebuild the team to be the greatest it’s ever been.

Team Roster

With this month and last month combined, we’ve had many departures to the team but have brought in many more additions. Before, the team was left with only four regular members, plus the three in Management which included myself, Devvy, and TheBulter. Since then, we’ve interviewed and brought on a few new FM’s. Dreek stepped down as Manager, and devvy had to depart. Therefore, I added two new managers to the team! They're Keefy and Violino. Please welcome Asphyxi, Auric_Saint, FalconByte, Gandalfo (returning), Jacko, Mitto (returning), and Starfelt (returning). Here’s our roster as of current.

Chorale (Director)

Keefy (Manager)

Violino (Manager)

AerialKebab -

Asphyxi +

Auric_Saint +

Devvy -

Dreek

FalconByte +

Gandalfo +

Jacko +

JakeFSF -

Mitto +

Rift

Starfelt +

Changes

After a discussion with Fireheart, we’ve decided that just like Forum Bans lead to Server Bans, the same will happen vice-versa. However, this only affects you if:

• It’s an indefinite ban, which will lead to content moderation of your forum account until you’re unbanned on the Server.
  • It’s a permanent ban, which will lead to the permanent banning of your forum account. If your perma-ban is ever revoked, which is very scarcely done, then your permanent forum ban will be removed as well.
    • As a side note, this change will only be taking place from this point forward.

I’m going to be introducing the third manager slot back to the team, and picking someone to partake in the role later this month. Just so that the Community is aware, here’s what I expect out of my Manager’s:

• To be competent and level-headed.
  • To be an experienced FM and to help the team in the moderation chats.
  • To be there as a bridge of communication between the team and the Community.
  • To not unjustly hand out punishments such as content moderation and forum bans without agreeing on it together, or coming to me.

There has been some controversy as of recently that I’d like to address. This being said, I want to allow the Community some insight on how we as the Management choose who we’d like on the team. The first step we take is an interview, which we usually give everyone. Secondly, I assign a Manager to conduct the interview and they’ll add me to a group chat which we can go over the five basic questions with them. Third, we conduct the interview. Once that’s done and over with, the interview is copy-pasted into a google document and put into a channel where it’s converted and turned into a poll. The Managers will vote, and hardly ever will I myself vote, and only in the case that they cannot come to an agreement will I put a vote in. This is to mainly combat bias.

Conclusion

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, I conclude with: The FM team is currently recruiting! If you’ve ever wanted to be on the team, then now would be a fantastic time. I’m aiming towards at least 12-14 members of all different time-zones. I love constructive criticism, and if you have anything to add, then post it in a reply down below.

How does one post a ban appeal if they're banned from the forums also?

I'm excited to be apart of this team and help in every way that I am able. It has been a pleasure to work with players I had not had the chance of interacting with before; their work and insight have been phenomenal thus far. If you truly are interested in becoming apart of the team, please feel more than welcome in posting a Forum Moderation application! 

2 minutes ago, Smaw said:

How does one post a ban appeal if they're banned from the forums also?

You make an appeal account and fill out a thread in Ban Appeals, so for example if you were ever forum banned - you'd create an account titled something along the lines of "SmawAppeal". If the appeal is accepted, you'll be unbanned and the appeal account will be banned. If you're denied, then the appeal account will be restricted from posting and someone will contact you to make sure you saw the verdict, tell you when to post another appeal, and ban the account you appealed on.

You think that's a good ban appeal system, Chorale? It'll allow staff members to ignore a player who has been banned and completely restrict them from the game. You think that'll be good for the retention of players? People already complain on the forums that Admins ignore them through discord when they appeal their community guidelines violation. This won't be any different.
You're doing things wrong, Chorale, and the fact that you styled yourself 'King of the Forums' within the day of being director says a lot about yourself.

7 minutes ago, Bannerlord said:

-snip-

I'm open to suggestions if you have any ideas that would be a good replacement for the current system!

Why does a game ban have to be correlated to a Forum ban? This will just further push away players from the community... Even if they are banned in-game they should be able to interact on the forums if they haven't broken any forum rules. I don't understand the purpose behind it. Just seems like a power trip honestly.

2 hours ago, Chorale_ said:

You make an appeal account and fill out a thread in Ban Appeals, so for example if you were ever forum banned - you'd create an account titled something along the lines of "SmawAppeal". If the appeal is accepted, you'll be unbanned and the appeal account will be banned. If you're denied, then the appeal account will be restricted from posting and someone will contact you to make sure you saw the verdict, tell you when to post another appeal, and ban the account you appealed on.

This seems like unnecessary bureaucracy added into the mix.  If the user is belligerent and distasteful on the forums, ban them, sure.  But having to go through the process of creating a new account seems goofball wack-backwards way encouraging users to not be bothered.  You have some instances where people are wrongfully banned, and the harsh reality is that you discourage them further when you make the process convoluted.

What of the Community Guideline Violations where it seems to be a way to loosely interpret an overarching variety of issues without much definition?  Those users are "banned" but they are not given an appeal date or anything of the such.  They have to wait for an Admins whim to unban them.  While I will not get on the specifics of vigilante administrative tools that work outside the current system, I will say that it seems like a way to shoehorn those users into a closet and keep them from complaining—or rather, keep them from alerting the rest of the community about back-alley punishments.  I surely would not have known if not been for Leowarrior and Chon screeching about it; there are no staff announcements on the matter, it just sort of started one day.

This does not feel like a change that would help anyone, but rather a change to create the illusion of achieving something so a person could add a notch in your belt.  I do not know you personally, Chorale, but I do not think I would have chosen you to be director.  As someone who doesn't get banned, I'd ask you quite frankly to remove the unnecessary red-tape.

Hey guys, I am only hear to clear up some misunderstandings. If you are permanently banned you are never returning to this server ever again, therefore, your forum account will also be banned. Straightforward.

If you have an indefinite ban (no specified appeal date) on the server you can still post. But your posts are screened first before they show up.

If you are serving a standard ban there is no problem. If you are planning to be one of the quarter dozen who ever get a guidelines violation—this does not apply to you.

That's all, for reference we plan to continue our tried and true methods from Mitto and dogbew for forum moderation, and do not plan on rabid crackdowns. :)

37 minutes ago, Telanir said:

Hey guys, I am only hear to clear up some misunderstandings. If you are permanently banned you are never returning to this server ever again, therefore, your forum account will also be banned. Straightforward.

i cant quite hear you bro

But sure, until the rules or bans change which they tend to do quite a lot of this server.

11 minutes ago, Patu said:

i cant quite hear you bro

But sure, until the rules or bans change which they tend to do quite a lot of this server.

You'll have to be less cryptic about your reply, if you mean the ol' "permanent bans are not permanent"—very few bans are permanent, most that even come close to that stage are indefinite.

9 hours ago, Telanir said:

You'll have to be less cryptic about your reply, if you mean the ol' "permanent bans are not permanent"—very few bans are permanent, most that even come close to that stage are indefinite.

what qualifies for a permanent ban?

On 6/2/2018 at 12:16 AM, Jake! said:

what qualifies for a permanent ban?

I mean the first example that comes to mind is ddosing the server or something. Just think of something serious.