Memoirs of a Swan: III

UnBaed

[[ Please do not RP knowing of any knowledge of these events unless you were present, or RP knowing the true identity behind the character described in this entry unless you’ve been able to do so through proper and genuine RP ]]

Spoiler

JNZoTzOnT_dzcONgE90bo2QHXd3yYeravN563dBlDSzIVmKUF4BSIR9rGiQVOF54mP5kre1EzvJVjqdgteOC3uxTPOFbtZpjwot8AMoFJ173PZL7t93H_HVlgyjsX1BZDoWrScmF

Margaux Helvets looking over the accounts of her diary as she readies for bed.

[[Alexei Harlamoff]]

The following is a private entry to Margaux Helvets’ diary.

4th of Tobias’ Bounty, 1818,

My time on the road hasn’t quite gone as I expected.  In truth, I didn’t know what to expect.  The first weeks out on my own were the hardest, many times I had thought of just turning back to return to Providence; but how could I return after this?  How could I return to that old life of loneliness and longing?  If there is one thing that I have learned from my years alive, it’s that life wasn’t meant to be easy for me despite my gentle upbringing.

I have faith that, as Elaine Candelon, I will find my own measure of peace and become content with myself through time.  I must remind myself to be patient and to look to GOD and his virtuous Saints as my guides.  Fortunately, I have found myself in a modest township of Canonist faith outside of the Empire called Luciensberg.  I believe it would be beneficial for me, and less of a culture shock, as I adjust to this new life I have taken for myself; yet still, it is a major shift to life in what I’ve been familiar with in Providence and Cathalon.

During the first week of my visit, I happened across a gentleman in need of help in the streets.  An elven brigand was harassing him, their swords had already clashed numerous times before my arrival; the clangour of their conflict is what I had drawn me in.  The man being attacked was a blonde young fellow, by the name of Leon; when he noticed my presence on the sidelines, he called for aid in desperation.

I knew I had to do something, but what?  My lessons with Prince Aleksandr and the countless hours spent to perfect my skills had all been for a moment like this; however, now that the time I had come for me to act… I hardly knew what to do!  The only weapon I had on me was my neck knife that my father gifted to me when I was six, when nightmarish creatures of bone and fire invaded the city of Helena.  It could have hardly been useful against an elf, unless I got very close to him.  Even then, I hadn’t felt entirely confident in my skills to face him off.

Still, I could not remain idle.  With a wiser thought, I withdrew a new purchase of mine when the roads led me to the outskirts of Yong Ping; chili pepper spray, stored similarly to perfume in a bottle.  If sprayed in the eyes, it would sting greatly and could subdue the inflicted temporarily; originally, it could be meant to offer someone time to run from an encounter.  But for this situation, it would allow Leon an upper hand to take action as well as myself, with more confidence in a disabled attacker.

Quickly, when the elf’s movements slowed, I hurried close to him and managed to spritz the pepper spray into his eyes successfully; he yelled in pain and reeled back… And blindly swung his sword in my direction.  I was fast on my feet to backtrack, though not swift enough to officially evade his attack.  I felt the cold steel cut into my arm and the warm flow of blood come from the wound he bestowed upon me.

My arm pulsed with a pain I had never experienced before.  I suddenly found my shoulder against the wall of a house as I supported myself, and can recall how red my hand had turned when I gripped my injured forearm.  By this time, other people began to gather around and even help Leon deal with the elf; a medic had tended to my injury to stop the bleeding, though without anything to dull my pain as it was stitched shut… 

It all is a blur to me now, but something I came out of.  In order to prevent my cut from festering, I chose to acquire myself a modest home to better care for it.  I have no doubt my meager campsite would not have been good for the cut.  I did not come all of this way for a fever to take me.

My arm has recovered enough to allow me to resume writing and drawing more comfortably, and I’ve grown confident enough to take to the roads again.  Afterall, I had promised Prince Aleksandr and Princess Nataliya that I would find them soon.  Perhaps now it would be wise for me to invest in a better dagger of defense, something surely longer than my neck knife of three inches.

I must remain more cautious with how I act and where I go in the meantime, although this new life I’ve taken has granted me many freedoms; I have also lost the benefits of my name and title.  Though, I am not entirely washed from them yet; I have noticed a few familiar faces within the streets of Luciensberg and I’m thankful that none are yet to recognize me.  Many of these people I had only known or seen in passing, at most having them as good acquaintances; I shall doubt that any would figure me out with ease as it has been years since I’ve last seen them.

With war on the horizon, I think it even more important for me to keep my identity hidden.  From the word I’ve gathered around Luciensberg, it is likely the settlement shall remain neutral in the war; however, should they choose to aid the Empire, I fear I would only need to dodge even more familiar faces that would enter the town; should they decide to go against the Empire, I wouldn’t even know how to begin contemplating the morality of my position here… To be with those who might, one day, cross swords with my beloved brother on a battlefield; or to worry even more about my identity being discovered, as it could likely lead to a ransom situation.

Perhaps I worry myself too much.

M. H.

A ferret informs Ensign Fitzpeter of the mortal danger Margeaux experienced. However, he is incapable of understanding mustelids.