Upon Sand

squakhawk

olly-lawson-ship-post.jpg?1532100141

Prologue

The elf swelled with pride as his ship left port, the waters of Elvenesse tough with large swells battering the stone coast of the peninsula. It was far from the first time Sand ever ran into troubling tides, albeit it was unusual. Typically were the waters tame around the cove he had set anchor in, and coming out- his ship stock of food and supply for his grand travel ahead-  was battered by the heavy waves. The unnamed ship and her hired crew made their way south, The Herald's mind considering what lay ahead. A few days in the desert, thinking upon drifting sand until he found an unreal 'fruit' atop a hill. Asioth was attained- what left was there to do? The slothful mali had a clear goal in mind, and a mission to fulfill. Yet he needed something to show for it. Needless. The elf viewed the approaching southern quarter of Almaris, the grand trees of the grove and briny walls of Sutica clouded by a light fog, preparing then his pack. It was in those moments he considered further- the supplies would weigh him down and would spoil quickly in the heat, though he refused to admit it- he had the least faint clue of desert survival. He opted to put on a lighter set of half-plate, taking supplies of water, dried meats and fruits, peppers and a large wineskin- the elf perceived preparation for what was ahead. Docking just north of The Painted Archipelago, he rowed himself unto the shore in a small boat, pulling it ashore with a grunt of effort within the treeline. He'd be back for it soon, anyways. 

The Derelict Journal

Day One

The first entry unto the journal was penned with lightly faded ink, upon virgin pages of a leatherbound journal. 

The first day has been fascinating. The world is a place rich of  fantastic sights- this heat I could do without. It stings my eyes glancing off the dunes, thus I stay in their shadow. I am looking for the largest of hills hidden between them, anyway- It does no help suffering in the sun. I've enjoyed my rations some, I did not eat before leaving the boat- adventure had called and I was excited. Although I am a bit aimless, I am to search for enlightenment within this forsaken place. 

Night One

The second entry unto the journal was penned with lightly faded ink, which smelled faintly of spices. 

The desert has gotten regrettably cold. I did not think it would make me shiver in this cold suit. I have found the ruins of what appears to be a ship- the oddest thing, but I am staying within the captains quarters. Fitting for myself. I shall meditate with Bharoh, and ponder. What value does this earth have, if I see none? Already, I may answer- such fantastic things to see within such a barren waste. It is striking, dunes as far as the I can see by the blazing sun in the east. A volcano in the far distance, this dustbowl ruined of bones and boats. I have had little of my wine and many of my peppers- the meat I should save, I feel I want to stay here for some time.

Day Two

The desert is yet unkind. I have found a hill and arisen to it's peak- yet there is no tree, nor spring, nor mountains to be seen. The place is flat, and marvelous in it's own way- What value does this earth have, if I see none? It is a bit more clear to me. While it is not a literal meaning, it is still something to consider. A play upon the thoughts. This land is needed, for all the good in the world there is terrible. For the lush forests and fields bearing the fruit in my pack, there is the terrible and the forgettable. While these wastes test my patience, as I have grown so bored- they still very much fare in a beauty of... the word is difficult to describe. It is beautiful, yet in a way that is unique and terrible- I would not compare it by any means to the luster of gold or the women back home, nor my own perfection. It is unforgettable, these sights. Yet I must remain focused. I must climb the peak to my enlightenment, wherever that may be.

Night Two

The terrible cold bites oncemore. I've found oncemore a ship to rest in, yet it's remains are too dessicated to sleep within it's confines. I'm outside, the sun will rise in the west and thus I am in the shadow it will provide. The armour is growing uncomfortable and I am unclean. Wet of sweat, my hair is oily and as is my face. My eyes sting of my own body, and I am finding myself squinting in the time of day. I've not seen my reflection, yet I know my face is red and stings to the touch. This place is humbling, yet unbefitting. I would much rather be in a tavern exploring a new bottle or a new barmaiden. Yet I'm confined to this dry and terrible place. May I find this enlightenment soon. This perfect place as described. I eat like a king oncemore, yet at the rate I am going I may only last another day or two like so. Perhaps princely rations will do instead. I could not imagine the farfolk living here finding any enjoyment in life. This is a miserable place unmeant to be lived, but viewed. Thyra was lovely- nothing like this. The breeze of the salty sea, the dancers exotic and colourful, a city rife with gold and any food of world's desire. This makes me almost miss it, and my family there.

DAI_Desert.jpg?1399995178

Night Three

What does this forsaken, terrible, wretched place have of value if I see none. I crested a hill of rock and sandstone when a snake jumped at my leg from behind- Blasted thing, I'll burn this whole desert in a fury for what it's done. I fell from that hill and tumbled some until I was at it's base. I had thought I was punctured, as my armour bled a deep red and I felt wet. It was my wineskin. My damned wineskin. I spit on the sand and it drinks it willingly, I despise this lifeless and hellish plain. I spit on my father who gave me the name Sand as if a joke. I despise being named this wretched, dead dust which stains the earth and offers none. Snakes, and vultures. This place is unbefitting of me, unearning is it of my name. I broke something in my damned body as it pains me to walk. Weakness. I could not for the first hours as my face scorched in the sun's unforgiving flames. There are those that worship this as a deific being, I'd kill them all if I could find them. It burns my flesh and keeps me from viewing it. When it returns, I will stare at that sun until it stares away. I may domineer any flame. I may control any fire to my will. That *****-thing will have my attention more than any woman or coin would. I will defeat it. 

Day Four

I have crested the hill at dawn, I will need the time. I've found a dried branch to use to support my weight, albeit it is deeply uncomfortable in this armour which cooks me alive. I've stripped myself of the pauldrons and my helm as they hurt too much to wear, and I can use the extra weightlessness. I see that damned sun in the west. I will march to it and find where it rises. I will conquer this world and explore it's riches. I will find that damned prophet and enlighten him.

Night Four

That cowardly flame has hid from me oncemore as night sets and the cold bitterly comes in effort to strike me down. I have deserved the last of my rations, this oasis should not be far. Peppers, meats, fruit, I have a full belly and a bit more water. This conquest will be swift. I have found the value of this earth, though I see none- I will find my riches of conquest and make this desert my concubine. 

Day Five

I have trekked far, farther than any day before. I started early, and ended late. I've passed the first greens I have seen, although I would not subject myself to cattle's food and indulge in the grasses. I am greater than all the ground beneath me may ever amount to. I explore this barren waste and have yet to see it's value. Come to think- even if in conquest, this land is worthless. Yet it is no longer about these sands. It is about the sun. My march continues and my journey shall not end until I exert my will over it. I will conquer that damned thing. 

Night Five

I am long out of water, now. Earlier in the day, shortly after my entry- did I run out. Exhausted of so. My mouth is dry and my pack is empty. I've tossed it aside for the vultures, to trick them into believing it has some value to them. Damned birds. I see them more often here, perhaps it is due to the greens. Perhaps even the ones I'd seen in days prior. Have they nothing better to do? I am unbeautiful in this state. My shoulders and face burn, my legs sore, the branch which supported me broken and thrown as far as I could- worthless thing. I will not surrender. What value does this earth have, if I see none.

Day Six

I have crested a great hill, I struggled to the top. My body is weak and I can barely continue. Yet upon the edge of my sight do I see the green swamp, a pond within the sands before it. The water is clear as day, I can see it so far. This is it.

I nearly tripped oncemore down that great hill, as I came to the spring. I am burnt, and my body is broken- no longer can I walk as I sit at it's base. I watch the great sun ahead, and yet it is no different. This is the place described in my vision. Was that not the value of this place? It's forsaken sun conquered? Though I am at it's apex, I am at the edge of the desert, I am at the spring as described. I will absolve myself of my armour, it hurts to wear upon my legs of stone and flesh red as roses. It is coarse and leathery. Dry. I cannot bathe for it hurts so. I need time to think.

I've spent much time pondering. I've re-read much of my entries, and I would strike them out if I had the strength to. But this land is of value. This desert has taught me and humbled me. I am nothing without my gold, as I would have not the supplies I took to this very land which kept me surviving. One day without water and my body was hot as a furnace, without food was I growing weak, and I fear I may not even be able to leave this desert. I am nothing without my ship, which I would have never gotten here without. I am nothing without my wine, as I crave it's sweet taste and the quiet it brings to my mind. I am nothing without a mistress, as I suffer my company alone for too long. I am nothing without Asioth, as I would not have a purpose, and would have died at the base of that hill I had fallen from. I am nothing without my training, as surely I would have quickly perished without my strength or will. Thus, I will make better of myself. I promise so. This golden fruit has been tasted and it's sweet juices reinvigorate my tongue, my body healing and my mind restored. The value I have found is that I have learned I am a creature of flaws. Many. I have vices I succumb to to give myself enjoyment. I have things I keep around to prevent myself from being alone. I am cold without them. With Asioth, with understanding- my spirit is warm, akin to a bright, valiant flame. I am stronger within if I allow myself to be. I had wanted to conquer the sun. Perhaps with understanding- I may redirect my will and drive to better means. To means of exploring the earth and it's riches. To see all beyond what I was conventionally meant to. My enlightenment teaches me something which is true.

I know that I know nothing.

When it rises, I will turn my back to the sun. And I will walk until I can walk no more. I will find a road, perhaps travelers or hunters. I will return home. If this book is found, return it to Camlannen, where it may rightfully belong, and leave my corpse- if there- as it is. 

--Sand

9f0a78dfcc0b1bb4017227d1f93e8f59.jpg

Spoiler

Squak you have such an amazing writing skill! I loved reading this