[Dialect] Imperial Elven

Minuvas

4 minutes ago, Orlesian said:

Alyssa would spit out red wine onto her lover, Mika, while they both ate dinner, giving him a small visit while on her travels. Then after doing so, the elven woman would dramatically fall onto a velvet couch within the estate. "Why! Oh why! This is so cursed!" The 'aheral wept with a dramatic tone- while she did her dramatic act upon the velvet couch, the red wine would be all over the Uiablen during her act for the four act play coming soon to theaters.

@mika1278

Mika as he is eating dinner would perk up at the sudden outburst of dramatic proportions, confused at such a thing up until he notices the missive on the table and their title before he himself stifles a laugh up until he is met with the sudden realization of red wine upon his uniform, responding with "Because this mash of culture shouldn't exist, might have a home in the empire, but you won't catch me speaking elven in any dialect." he reaffirmed to Alyssa with a pat on the leg along slight yet warm smile before he simply continues eating afterwards

Wandering the streets of the Empire in to which he was born, an oddly-hued elf turns pearlescent eyes to the sky after hearing a few snippets of conversation in the dialect, visibly perplexed. A weary sigh escapes him.

"Well, this place has certainly come a long way, but... This, is surely several steps too far, and too soon. Perhaps when mali may stand truly equal alongside the valah, such assimilation might be justified, but as it is..."

A dejected huff escapes the fellow, as he leans himself against the counter of one famous, now foreclosed Sheep Shop, peering down now, at his own hands.

"The valah must come to accept and respect us for who and what we are- not for becoming some lackluster reflection of them. Do these mali really care so little for the sanctity of their heritage, that they cannot seek proper education on their peoples' tongue?"

[Just for clarification this was not a missive. Just a dialect/player-guide option for Elves who have backstories of being in the Empire for a while. Not that I wish to ruin people's throwing it into a fire, or a trash bin, or a voidal maw, etc ]

John VIII squints at the title. "The Dialect of Imperial Elves,"  he reads aloud, passing it to his caretaker @FlareGunCalamity. "Please read this dictionary to Us, Miss Fairfax, we are most intrigued with the development of a new cultural dialect within Our realm, but too blind to make out the characters Ourselves!"

On 8/21/2021 at 11:25 AM, Minuvas said:

maehr'sae hiulun'ehya / Servus und Progress: Literal meaning is closer to "I serve and I progress". It is commonly shortened to 'Servus', it is the most formal greeting possible - and carries none of the cultural significance that maehr'sae hiulun'ehya does to other Elves.

Tiuthwyn nearly spat out her tea upon reading about the horrific cultural appropriation.

Spoiler

maehr'sae hiylun'ehya means Progress and Health - not only is it specific to Haelun'or High Elves, and not the other High Elves, let alone all other Elves, but it doesn't mean serve. I would come up with a closer word rather than steal something from High Elves that you haven't taken three seconds to properly translate, and have removed the cultural significance from just to strongarm in a 'formal greeting' from a catchphrase that is never used as such to begin with.

On another note, good effort on the rest of the post!

On 8/26/2021 at 5:13 PM, OOCEMPIRE said:

Tiuthwyn nearly spat out her tea upon reading about the horrific cultural appropriation.

Reveal hidden contents

maehr'sae hiylun'ehya means Progress and Health - not only is it specific to Haelun'or High Elves, and not the other High Elves, let alone all other Elves, but it doesn't mean serve. I would come up with a closer word rather than steal something from High Elves that you haven't taken three seconds to properly translate, and have removed the cultural significance from just to strongarm in a 'formal greeting' from a catchphrase that is never used as such to begin with.

On another note, good effort on the rest of the post!

Spoiler

First - thanks, I appreciate feedback. If you think there is a word you can recommend as more appropriate, or phrase - I would be very open to incorporating it.

I will try to see if I can modify it to make it make more sense in terms of etymology. The Word "Servus" comes both from the Latin (Flexio) word 'I serve', but is also a modern day Bavarian Greeting. As I am trying to emphasize that the language is bastardized - it is not meant to be a direct translation, but that the phrase would have changed overtime to conform to a new form of greeting. Just as 'Servus' is said today in South Eastern Germany and is not taken literally to mean 'I serve', and is not commonly used in greater Germany, so to would this 'Waldonian' word worked its way into the Elven language mixed with Elven meaning.

The Phrase "Health and Progress"  is  a term that in the dialect of Elves who have grown up completely cut off from the greater elven princedoms, and it would have no cultural meaning to them - having instead adopted the Waldonian greeting of 'Servus' yet retaining the elven idea of progress in it. As the Empire has also historically been made up of Elves escaping the Elven Princedoms for any number of reasons, they were criminals, or persecuted for whatever reason - it is not beyond reasoning to imagine they would have purposely given up some of these terms that were held closer to those societies hearts. Combined with periods of elven persecution and racism, there was even more incentive to weaken the elven words in the language and adopt words mixed with the local human languages/dialects to appear less offensive.

I hope this explains how I developed its origins, and it was not haphazardly thrown together.

Min