A Foreign Holiday! Khmer New Years!

KudosMetro

Khmer New Years!
”Choul Chnam Thmey Moha Sangkranta”

g5wBmGYn1SI8o7l9grxu4BP6jzEA0VxEKUJvb2wVD_D88NFgmCNFFyZNpKVxUm9ZeZnnh54NPl_kE1EtUOpvQFfrA63bUBFDHSJgQt0DlgqEMPrVRnzmoNYCriAcTeiKRUb3SdBiI1hulfQ2o6YJq1U

(Cambodian Flag)

Hey!  I’ve never had to make a post like this before, or any post of my own at all—but I felt the need to share this as an Asian-American who wants to give some appreciation to my culture!

IT’S CAMBODIAN NEW YEARS!!!

Specifically, it’s already started, and today is the last day!  The Khmer people, and other South-East Asian cultures, come together to celebrate the new Solar Year!  Now, a lot of you reading this probably don’t know ANYTHING about this holiday, but that’s why I’m writing this! 

Spoiler

A note though, I am by no means a scholar on my own culture, and am going off of what I’ve seen at my local Temple—although I have no doubt that, while we can’t celebrate the New Years the same way we could in our home country, that we can still honor it in our new one.

Hope you enjoy!

1_q32ltY5GEHIAwf6PBKQjzRk25bXTpN30Q-ENdHcE1x82OvvMYgyict8H-8BQ7Y52LakeQT04QcapRQRymXarSZeX2HX0cxm5uMZsQOl3JdOOYH-V4_hkeIZuYbY-4tImkmlNLzWS1KlUC3B8DnMAg

The New Year festival occurs from the 14th to the 16th, spanning all three days!  The first day of Khmer New Years often composed entirely of prayer.  Observing cheer with one another, praying to Buddha, and offering small bits of good thoughts in our actions!

The second day, the 15th, is composed of more celebration!  We attend our Temple, holding a festival there, and first give prayer to Buddha and the monks!  Referencing the image above once more, we erect a small couple of sand mounds, Stupa, in which we honor our tradition and traditional stories!  This day is where we come together and give out food to feed one another, give charity, and give offerings all throughout the celebration!

zBWJQWhzYCi4xiY4tL8qffsResz9Aoy_2EFUV0nZxd1l_tQd5OJAM_USn-Ca4If4E0tkk7oQr79Abfe8uR_aQLudXSHrSqm2m7a7FVE6tp00EafHsKR6TyxXHgmvMcehmHi5lr8nmhTGkp1qD1TtzHA

The third day, however, is my favorite!  On the 16th we host a water festival!  We gather together to offer last prayers for the New Year, then we gather baby powder, shaving cream, AND ANY AND ALL MACHINES OF WATER WAR!  It’s where the youngest of us engage in basically a water fight, and it’s honestly one of the most joyful parts of the New Years!  In the end, we gather together and clean up the mess we made—still enjoying out time.

The festival ends.

And then we’re left to our own devices, to enjoy the New Year.

Spoiler

I hope whoever has read this enjoyed it!  It means a lot to express a part of my culture that remains in my memory since I was a kid, and it’s an honor to spread a bit of knowledge on this to others!  The New Years have always been something I’ve loved, especially for this event that I cannot get enough of—unfortunately I decided not to attend the Water Festival, but do hope that all individuals who did had a nice time!  ‘Tis all!  Hope you enjoyed! :D

Edited by KudosMetro