Daughter of Flames and Smoke

Apotolofo

I SEE YOU

SoaringSpirit_a_realm_of_fire_metal_and_volcanoes_a2831834-b62e-429a-9696-b166c4a3f767-630fb87edbaf8-png__880.jpg

The cavernous voice boomed from within the angry volcano that bubbled before her. The girl squinted through the smoke, eyes and lungs stinging from the smoke that invaded her body. She glanced to her guide, who gave a nod of encouragement. Rise, Daughter of Flame. Summoning her will, she stepped forward against the roaring flames and spoke.

"I am Hera."

She yelled over the lava and fire.

"WHAT ARE YOU?"

The voice said in response- though this time it spoke with a semblance of warmth, and she felt her confidence strengthen. 

"I am an elf- but more than that, I am born from fire. I walked through the flames, and for a time the flames of the titan Azdromoth were mine. But those flames were not true- they were not pure." She felt a phantom pain in her arms and neck, the burning memory of such a time forever stained her soul.

"WHAT DO YOU SEEK?

Hera took a breath, steadying herself. For a moment, she pondered the question for herself. What did she seek? Warmth? Fire? Smoke?

"I seek your blessing. I seek control- nay, purely harmony with the flames. I've chased after it time and time again- the fire is the only place I find home in. But no pyre I find has been enough. I seek the essence of flame. The soul- the spirit of it."

"THE ESSENCE OF FLAME?"

image.thumb.png.c554aebf66e81797a7dd9f87f0929b73.png

pyrah.jpg

image.thumb.png.94f56114be665b8291230606c3eefefa.png

The voice echoed, as the ground before her split open, magma and liquid fire burst from the earth's broken seams, swirling through the air to form into the shape of a woman. Gazing upon the lesser spirit of Flames and Smoke, Kataash, Hera could not help but feel a certain oneness with her.

"SHE IS FLAME. KATAASH, SPIRIT OF FLAMES AND SMOKE."

Offer her something. The Uruk beside her murmured. Hera nodded, shaking herself out of the awed stupor she had fallen into.

"In return for your blessing, I would serve as your vessel. I would bring warmth to those without it, and heat to those who are cold. I have carried flames before, corrupt as they might have been. I would be your follower- should you allow me to be."

"You wish to bring heat. You wish to bring warmth. Yet those are followed  by my wrath. Are you prepared to

BURN?"

The ground shook beneath the pair, as fire surged up around them, flames licking at her skin, scalding with each brush and touch. The Uruk sent a blazing look of incredulousness at Hera, wondering what exactly she had said. As the shaman began to chant to calm the spirit, the woman could do naught but watch Kataash grow in size. And then, throughout the storm, the spirit offered her hand out to Hera.

"Build me a shrine, and bring me champions. You will learn to master true flames, use it to heal and to burn. Balance will be kept."

A breath of relief left the girl's smoke-filled lungs, but it was fleeting. 

"Now, accept my mark"

Flames and smoke shot out from her outstretched hand, a funnel of burning energy descending upon the elf. But the elf with hair of fire did not run, she closed her eyes and embraced the heat. Flames engulfed her body, a few split seconds of agony enveloping her body. Before she had time to scream, the pain was gone- her nerves had been burned away. She opened her eyes and watched with a mix of fascination and horror as her flesh was turned to ash. Her muscles made into soot, her bones blackening and her eyes melting in their sockets. Thus- she was consumed. She could hear Kataash in her head, laughing like the crackle of the flames. Over, and over, and over she chanted into Hera's mind. 

YOU WILL BURN.

ALL

WILL

B U R N

image.thumb.png.8e2b6a47b9690a68800a1aea146067fb.png

She heaved a breath, coughing out smoke and ash that wasn't there as she was thrown back into the mortal realm. Her ears ringing, she nodded dumbly to what her spirit guide spoke. The spirit's words continued to echo in her head, and she couldn't help but wonder. . .

What the hell have I done?

Kor'garr, Skriptgoth of the Horde, hears murmurs amongst the newly settled orcs of the Iron Horde about a new disciple upon the path of worshipping Skathaach's realm. a harsh brow and thick handlebar mustache furrow as the information he seeks, that of a name for this new shaman, is lost to him. Eventually he retires to his room, looking upon the massive tome of notes just revealed to spiritualist circles. Ink stained hands turn still blank pages, ready for notes about Lesser spirits of the Elemental realms.

"Meybi dey wuld intervyu... meybi."

Spoiler

Hey there! If your character would like to talk with Kor'garr about their new pact and the spirit they are bonded to, please let me know! San'Briu is open to visitors and I would love for Kor'garr to include this spirit in the Conceptual Compendium.