Iron Solace

Mewliet

IMG_5288.thumb.jpg.582a002d18cd6adb35e9d770b8df4bd4.jpg

[Art by Kim Youngju]

Change.

This is something she thought she’d be used to by now. With being an elf, and with being the Raithean of Autumn, change was quite frequent for her. She always taught that change was inevitable yet it was an important part of the cycle. So why was she having such a difficult time with it this time?

“The older I get, the longer I live… the more I realize that life is ne always rainbows and sunshine. I s’pose I always knew that, but it’s getting harder to look past all the bad things.” 

Such a small person held such strong emotions, and she was never one to hide them. It was always important to allow yourself to feel, and to process, and so she did. No matter how grim they felt.

“Everything has been so whirlwindy and chaotic lately. So much death and loss as of late. It almost makes me feel…hollow. I used to be so full of joy.”

The Autumnal elf was frantic and full of emotions that were boiling over, yet she somehow still felt empty. Like something was missing and she didn’t know how to fix it. She confided in her father. 

“‘Es dat wot yeh are ‘earin’ now? Da’ silence of ‘et all? Da’ empty feelin’ wantin’ somethin’  ta say or do somethin’.” 

The Arvellon offered a silent and sorrowful nod to her father as a response. Such elicited a noise from him, and he’d reach a calloused hand out to place atop her own, successfully enveloping it to offer some comfort to his distressed child.

“Dey always say ‘et willnae’ get betteh. Dat da’ emptiness remains.” He told her and she frowned at first, not realizing there was more to come from the wisened dwed. “Dis’ ‘es onleh partleh true. Wot was cannae’ come back, as ‘es da’ way of thin’s. Da’ natural cycle, even ‘en our ‘earts.” 

Vosirk was not her biological father yet blood was not what determined who was and was not family to her. The dwarven man took her in as a young ‘ame and taught her everything she needed to know to not only become a great drui, but a great person too. He called her his prodigy and she looked up to him, sometimes quite literally. Throughout their lessons, an unbreakable bond was developed. From him radiated the undying love any father would have for his child, and for her he desired nothing more than to protect her and watch her grow. He brought her up and for that, she was eternally grateful. 

“‘Oweveh… dat’ emptiness doesne’ ‘ave ta’ remain. ‘Et can be filled ‘gain by new thin’s. New passions, new loves, new desiores.”

Their conversation went on for a while and Vosirk shared a story with her while she found solace within his embrace. She was used to change, but this was something different. She had endured something she was struggling to accept and she needed her father more than ever. Soon their heartfelt conversation would turn into another lesson. Even after centuries, he had more to teach her. 

“New liofe sprung from death, lass.”

Such words from her father gave her a new perspective on such a dire situation and for that, she thanked him. The duo shared a warm embrace and she felt a little better about things. She could always count on the bearded dwed to know exactly what to say. 

“Alwehs, dwedki. Yeh’ are too bright of’ah light ta’ be suh’ down. Dunnae’ stay down.”

Eretria promised she wouldn’t let her troubles keep her down, and that her light would be enough to light his fires from the mountaintops he resided in.

“Ah’ll visit ‘gain soon ta’ see yeh’, wee Marten of da’ Wildliofe.” He’d promise his daughter with a wink and, with a slap across his rounded belly, he’d soon start making his way off. “Fock some shite up for meh, Eretria fockin’ Arvellon!”

And that was what she intended to do. His words fueled her with such a determination that burned bright enough to light all of the fires within the village.

She thought back on this moment with her father quite often, and in recent times she found herself needing his advice once more. Perhaps it was time to visit the mountains, she thought. And so, she packed a few things, said her farewells to her partner and her family, and she set off on an adventure. Time to track down a dwarf! How hard could it be?

Spoiler

Just a short and sweet little post I wanted to do while I was on hiatus and while I take time to adjust to a new routine. Enjoy <3