An Excerpt of a Sealog

[!] A journal made of cream colored pages, bound in elk hide. A depiction of the sea’s rolling waves is painted on the cover, a title embedded in the leather and painted in silver ink. Most of the pages appeared to be ripped out, leaving behind only entries from a certain range of dates.

The Sealog of 

Princess Vallei Runya-Arassë Norväyn Sylvaeri

-=-

q2H9Ly4pqnP6Xg0vWAb4-7u0AvRHsoSjYIMkkHyofwnxq5zGZpJcdgFiJl_6W3Tu9XZ_-1dHtPWi5BpGizwraVGXDbE4pIgJpr41m_yPCe_WhHQf8D4ntJgzRoCd3ubrS2hntYvgJOnQu_f-pxNsjM0

=-=

19th of The Amber Cold, Year 179 of the Second Age

I can feel the waves calling for me once more, and as Kaito has set off on his own journey, now is a perfect time to partake on a voyage. I commissioned construction of a new ship, and she is finally finished. I have decided to name her Eärnur, which means Servant of the Sea in the ancient tongue; a fitting name I believe. I commissioned her specifically to be manned by one person, that I may go it alone whenever I choose. I have stocked up enough food and supplies for a month, and so now I set sail.

21st of The Amber Cold, Year 179 of the Second Age

Today is the third day I have been out at sea, heading south from the Watcher’s Roost. The waves have been quite turbulent, as I witnessed a storm brewing in the distance. Luckily, I was able to steer westward to avoid it, though I will need to be careful to remember my way back home. So far I have seen no land, and so I am glad that I packed as much food as I did. I shall sail for another week or two before turning back home, I think.

24th of The Amber Cold, Year 179 of the Second Age

Six days out at sea, and I have come across something troubling. I noticed that the water had started to become murky, and saw debris floating amongst the waves. I sailed towards the source to discover a shipwreck, a merchant’s vessel by the looks of it. The fragments of the ship suggest that it had been blasted apart, perhaps by pirates or a rival. Either way, the damage to the sealife is extensive. Dead fish bob on the surface, and I can only imagine what’s happening down below the dark water. I can’t leave it like this. It will likely take days, but I must clean this, especially if this black sludge is what I expect it to be.

6th of The Deep Cold, Year 179 of the Second Age

It is exactly as I fear - Oil. The vessel was carrying vast amounts of oil, which has all spilled out into the sea. It has killed so much, ruined the seafloor I imagine. I have spent day and night trying to clean it all, skimming layer after layer of oil from the water’s surface. I am fortunate that the waves have been calm, otherwise this would be impossible. I am starting to see some progress luckily; the water almost appears safe enough to dive within and check out the damage below. I have also collected all the dead fish that have risen to the surface, their bodies drenched in oil. I will have to bury them on the shore.

14th of The Deep Cold, Year 179 of the Second Age

I have done all that I can, cleaned up as much oil as possible. It will be enough, I think. While impossible to get it all, the sealife should have some hope of survival now. The water was safe enough to dive into a few days ago, so I went to check out the shipwreck. Indeed, cannon balls liter the seafloor, as well as the split hull. It should make a good home for the fish, but I was sure to gather any debris that could be mistaken for food or prove a danger to the wildlife. No more dead fish float to the surface now, and after a few weeks, all should return to relative normalcy. I am disgusting, covered in oil. I sail for home now, where a warm bath awaits me.

19th of The Deep Cold, Year 179 of the Second Age

I returned to the Watcher’s Roost a day earlier than expected, the wind luckily on my side. My vessel is in good condition, though the wood of the deck is stained from the oil. After a few days of recovery, I shall get to cleaning her up, and figure out a way to dispose of the oil. Perhaps it can still be used, in a way that doesn’t hurt any more of nature.