[Idea] Household Magic - Casual Magic Users/hobbyists

Urahra

55 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support the idea of a "Reduced" magic app that allows people to practice one or two spells only?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • [Other - please post to explain your perspective]

I'm a little interested in helping out, if I can. I know I'm not MT or Loremaster or anything special, but I have ideas!

I love the idea of 'hobbyist magic' It makes me think of this little thing right here in a Disney cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XChxLGnIwCU

This also could be some gateway to 'Entertainers Magic', like a magician making little fireworks that look like dragons, or little sparks that fly out of their fingertips(completely harmless by the way). Sort of like Gandalf does in the beginning of the first Lord of the Rings movie. Harmless little tricks that fly around crowded cities and public places would really liven up the server in my opinion.

I really like this idea. Like someone else said, it does remind me of Mrs.Weasley. It would indeed expand certain character's abilities. However, like to everything, there is a downside that I could see.

I feel like if something like this is implemented, quite a few more people will be able to use magic and eventually everyone will. Plus, people could bend their applications and in the end just become a normal mage. I mean, maybe this is worst case scenario, but that's the only downside I could see.

Mhmm, I quite like this idea. You'd think that magic would be something that people would aspire to have, but not in some epic way where they can make the ocean retreat or the skies sunder etc etc, rather just something to toy with. I see a whole lot of opportunities for this to be used. Good thinking!

This is small enough lore that we can probably accept/deny it after a brief review.

However, odds are we will not create a new MA for this. Instead, due to the harmless and inconsequential nature of the magic, anyone applying for it would likely be reviewed in a very relaxed manner. The only reason why we wouldn't make a new app entirely would be to help prevent confusion from people who aren't sure where to apply.

Hopefully we can respond with accepted/denied in the next day or so.

This could be a bit hard to manage, but I would love this kind of thing. The server is all about realism and immersion, and when speaking of magick, there are always going to be those who use it just to make their lives easier. This would also incorperate magick that was 'showy' I'd imagine, sparks and such, the acts that are purely for entertainment.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of this is The Sorcerer's Apprentice. Mops everywhere. This I'd like to see.

This is small enough lore that we can probably accept/deny it after a brief review.

However, odds are we will not create a new MA for this. Instead, due to the harmless and inconsequential nature of the magic, anyone applying for it would likely be reviewed in a very relaxed manner. The only reason why we wouldn't make a new app entirely would be to help prevent confusion from people who aren't sure where to apply.

Hopefully we can respond with accepted/denied in the next day or so.

Gragarn told me you called this "Women stay in the kitchen" magic. XP Which is...sort of accurate. I'm just trying to liven up my RP a bit, after all! Tanith is pretty much chained to her stove until I get her VA done.

I'm glad to hear it might be a reality. I thought the mini MA might be the best way to handle it, but whatever the Magic Team thinks is best is fine.

This is fairly much what I'd like to see if we are to have magic on the server, it's not combative, or overpowered nonsense. It simply adds colour and an opportunity for descriptive, fun roleplay.

I like applications, it shows dedication and effort. Someone who got a good app is (most) likely to deliver some good Role-Play!

I provide my full support, as this adds a lot of flavor to RP, and I cannot see any real downsides to it.

We will accept this as Magic, but you will have to learn it before using it IC. Some special rules apply to this magic because of it's nature:

~This shall be the "Domestic Subtype" under the Mage/Arcane Archtype.

~Training time for this magic is reduced to 3 days (6 if self taught).

~Any Teacher accepted for teaching the Evocation, Conjuration, Enchanting or Illusion Subtype is permitted to teach the Domestic Subtype.

~The Domestic Subtype is technically just general and very easy-to-use Arcane Archtype magic, and follows the limitations of the Arcane Archtype accordingly.

~Knowledge of the Domestic Subtype does not imply knowledge of the great workings of the Arcane Archtype (traditionally members of an Archtype understand how that Archtype works IC. Mages know they use the Void to cast spells, and that the Void is a realm of thought). Domestic "mages" will not necessarily know/learn this IC, since they are just learning very basic single spells.

~On the Magic App, there are several questions which will not be relevant to Domestic Subtype seekers, as their magic is strictly focused on certain areas of life (such as kitchen work). Therefore, applicants may opt to reply "My magic is not relevant to this question." For any question they feel is irrelevant to their character. If the reviewing Magic Team member feels the question should be answered, they will request it before completing the review.

Aw yiss.

That's TWO magical subtypes I've created! Now to make Tanith a master of Domestic Magic.

Household magic?! Well that's what we have Alchemy for, dear boy! But on a more serious note, this seems like a good idea and I honestly do not see a negative to this beyond some people abusing the whole "I have household magic" and fending off an intruder with lasers that come out of their nose or some such. But those can always be weeded out.