[✓] [Lore][Druid Magic] Shapeshifting

cmack1028

A good point was brought up by Rittsy in Skype. Cerridwen is a better choice since she is also known as the matron of change and transformation. (I just learned this, if you couldn't tell.)

Edit:

(February 18, 2013)

• Made it so the Druid must pray to Cernunnos to begin the Trials of Spirit, all other praying is directed at Cerridwen, including the prayer to transform the Druid and the prayer to make the transformation permanent.
  • The 'Grotto of Cernunnos' has been renamed 'The Grotto of Cerridwen.'

I support! Would LOVE to turn into a toad, and it fits the Druids quite nicely. +1 from me!

Edit:

(February 20, 2013)

• Added the 'Recommended Transformations' area that has lists of animals for each race. These are only recommended animals, however. The Druid is not forced to follow this.

Not sure about the permanent transformations. I can't see what this would add apart from animal RP.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. The way I see it right now, it won't ever even happen. I think it is just going to be a way for an extremely important person to kill off his character without, "He just died." I'm still open for opinions, though. It can be removed at any time.

Edit:

(February 20, 2013(2))

• Added snakes, toads and squirrels to the personality fault list.

I would say this lore has been well thought out and developed. It follows the druids' lore and makes complete sense throughout. As a fellow druid, and one of the contributors to enhancements of this topic, I give my support. The order would definitely be able to monitor this well and ensure it wouldn't get into the hands of someone who would abuse it. This type of druid magic could bring great and fun RP within many RP scenarios; the druid could keep the shape shifting use to a down-low and use it when RPly necessary and in sensible situations. I look forward to hoping this lore will be accepted, and have no doubts we would be able to monitor its use well. +1

This is was a very interesting read, if I do say so myself. I like how you have considered the size aspect of each race, and how that would affect the animals they could transform into, +1 from me!

p.s~ i'd be much abliged if you would add rabbits to the Halfling animals! :P

This is was a very interesting read, if I do say so myself. I like how you have considered the size aspect of each race, and how that would affect the animals they could transform into, +1 from me!

p.s~ i'd be much abliged if you would add rabbits to the Halfling animals! :P

Done, thank you! :D

Edit:

(February 21, 2013)

• Added rabbits to the list of 'Recommended Transformations' for Halflings.
  • Added rabbits to the 'Natural Instinct' list.

Wait....

The animals still take human traits, yes?

A Druid with no arm would be a Monkey with no arm, aswell?

Wait....

The animals still take human traits, yes?

A Druid with no arm would be a Monkey with no arm, aswell?

Correct, if the Druid was missing a limb, he wouldn't have one while shapeshifted. If he lost a limb while shapeshifted, he would lose it as a humanoid as well.

I do not like the idea of shape-shifting done by any magical sect at all, in general; as a power in itself, shape-shifting is easily misinterpreted into "turn into a lion and gain the strength of an Orc", or "turn into a tiny mouse and hide when cornered" - these things don't really give the opposition a chance, and I see what role-play stemming from people using these shape-shifting abilities to be bland, dry and uneventful at most times.

Fortunately, the Druids as a group do not require shape-shifting abilities. Despite how "connected" a Druid as a profession (for lack of a better word) is to shape-shifting (which is featured in other lores that involve Druids, like D&D). The Druids are not supposed to utilize magical powers for the sake of their own advancement, they are people connected to nature and that alone. 

Instead of immediately looking to shape-shifting as a power, perhaps a better branch of abilities for Druids (that may suit them better for the server's lore) could be looked into. I recall Respiren writing up a post involving a list of what powers a Druid may handle.

I do not like the idea of shape-shifting done by any magical sect at all, in general; as a power in itself, shape-shifting is easily misinterpreted into "turn into a lion and gain the strength of an Orc", or "turn into a tiny mouse and hide when cornered" - these things don't really give the opposition a chance, and I see what role-play stemming from people using these shape-shifting abilities to be bland, dry and uneventful at most times.

Fortunately, the Druids as a group do not require shape-shifting abilities. Despite how "connected" a Druid as a profession (for lack of a better word) is to shape-shifting (which is featured in other lores that involve Druids, like D&D). The Druids are not supposed to utilize magical powers for the sake of their own advancement, they are people connected to nature and that alone. 

Instead of immediately looking to shape-shifting as a power, perhaps a better branch of abilities for Druids (that may suit them better for the server's lore) could be looked into. I recall Respiren writing up a post involving a list of what powers a Druid may handle.

I appreciate the feedback. The thing is though, druids don't use magic. Druid 'magic' is based on praying to the Aspects, or their god-like figures. Only strong druids (with the accepted MA or whatever the new system will be) can use magic after being taught IG. Also, we can monitor the 'gift' as we will call it. You HAVE to make a large positive impact on the server as a druid to learn it. You can't become a druid, make an app and yay, you can shapeshift. This will also allow us to make sure it doesn't end up in the hands of powergamers or people who are renowned for making bad RP experiences. We will have 100% control over it.

Yes, obviously in games like World of Warcraft, druids can shapeshift. Why does that mean it won't fit lore for LotC? I based this on my original ideas and tried my best to make it lore-friendly. You should also know that we currently have four Hierophants in the Order right now, meaning only four people will know the gift until another is elected as a Hierophant which probably won't happen any time soon. I can also assure you that these four people are known for bringing wonderful roleplay experiences, two of which are currently GMs.

As for weaknesses of shapeshifting, I may not have made it clear. If the druid becomes hostile while shifted (which they won't, druids are peaceful and only fight when defending themselves or the Order and they have complete control as an animal) then they are still just as kill-able as anybody else is. One swing of the sword can end them easily, it's not an excuse to go god-mode. Also, the druid can only shapeshift into one animal. Again, thank you for the feedback.

Move to Accepted Lore for the next stage. Please hold use till Implemented.