Idea In Progress ((Seeking Opinions And Thoughts.))

V0idsoldier

Hello everyone. I just recently came back to the server and have been kinda lost. I've been trying to catch my bearing and get used to this new world (which I adore so far) and get used to the new community as well. I've been thinking of ways to bring myself back into the world as an active role player, though it has been difficult. Reflecting back on my past has made me realize some crucial mistakes I have made, and hope that this time around I can avoid said mistakes. It is because of that reflection that I have developed a character idea that may come to fruition, though is a long way from that step. Hopefully I can gather some assistance developing this character, or at least some crituiqe to help me balance him out. Here goes.

Many times in the past I have created villains. I've created constant conflict both IC and OOC, a lot of which I regret. I hope to avoid it this time by interacting with the world in a different, yet proactive, way. This character I have in mind is essentially, by all standards, the embodiment of curiosity. The embodiment of Humanity. What do I mean by this? To put it simply, he is going to be a young, ambitious, adventurous young man who has a thirst for knowledge and culture. He's the kind of person who does not want to waste a moment of his life, because he knows it is short. He doesn't sit still, he doesn't settle down. He is a nomad, looking to take from each and every culture, to learn as much as he can, to explore caverns no one else has, see ruins no one else has. I picture him as the type of man who is slightly rambunctious though is entirely friendly in nature, someone who can create friends out of enemies just by lending his curious and friendly attituide.

I see him as the kind of man who would probably wander into Kharajyr or Uruk territory out of curiosity and awe, and then running as fast as he can to escape those who might do him harm. I see him as someone who wouldn't falter after being chased away, returning time and time again until he creates friends out of enemies, despite the fallacies it may cause. He isn't oblivious to the world around him, the terror that crosses through some people's minds, but he is a neutral benefactor. If he can help someone in distress, he would, though he does not see it as his duty to go out of his way for others.

It is a character idea that is obviously flawed, and I truly hope some people can point out whatever flaws it has, but I'm going to be honest... I want to enter this server and create a new portfolio for myself. I left a stain on the server last time I was here, I hope that by maintaining a character like this I can participate in new role play that is not villainous as most of my rp in the past has been. Any ideas, critique, compliments or even insults (If not flammatory) on the character are entirely welcomed and wanted. That's all for now!

I would suggest keeping an air of seriousness with your character, and possibly some sort of concrete purpose to back up his curiosity. Think about someone like, say, Indiana Jones. He's one curious bastard, and he accomplishes a lot of the things you describe for your character, but Indy doesn't do the things he does simply out of curiosity. What Indy sets out to do is secure artifacts for study, display in museums, and to keep them out of the wrong hands (it just so happens that Nazis get in the way and throw several wrenches in his plans). Of course, I'm not suggesting that you roleplay as Indiana Jones, but to keep him in mind when it comes to curiosity. Without something concrete to keep your character from seeming on-the-nose, he might feel more like a cat, which some people might find frustrating.

Perhaps look for work at the Mage's Guild (or is it College, now?). Of all the people in the world, they probably need curiosity the most, as theirs is the study and mastery of arcana; all that is secret and hitherto unknown in the world. They would thrive on oddities, curiosities, documentation, and theories based on observation. Hell, they even keep a "Kraken" in the bathroom. If anything, they would be able to provide insight and direction, or at least someone to please, even if your character isn't involved in the practice of magic. 

Unfortunately, the hour is late and I'm not the most thoughtful at the moment, but if I think of anything else to say, I'll post again.

I would suggest keeping an air of seriousness with your character, and possibly some sort of concrete purpose to back up his curiosity. Think about someone like, say, Indiana Jones. He's one curious bastard, and he accomplishes a lot of the things you describe for your character, but Indy doesn't do the things he does simply out of curiosity. What Indy sets out to do is secure artifacts for study, display in museums, and to keep them out of the wrong hands (it just so happens that Nazis get in the way and throw several wrenches in his plans). Of course, I'm not suggesting that you roleplay as Indiana Jones, but to keep him in mind when it comes to curiosity. Without something concrete to keep your character from seeming on-the-nose, he might feel more like a cat, which some people might find frustrating.

Perhaps look for work at the Mage's Guild (or is it College, now?). Of all the people in the world, they probably need curiosity the most, as theirs is the study and mastery of arcana; all that is secret and hitherto unknown in the world. They would thrive on oddities, curiosities, documentation, and theories based on observation. Hell, they even keep a "Kraken" in the bathroom. If anything, they would be able to provide insight and direction, or at least someone to please, even if your character isn't involved in the practice of magic. 

Unfortunately, the hour is late and I'm not the most thoughtful at the moment, but if I think of anything else to say, I'll post again.

Thank you for replying! I entirely agree with your idea. I think I need to come up with a few ideas on a way to make his curiosity seem more lively. I actually see him more likely joining a less violent pirate crew, not out of spite of others, or even greed, but simply in order to travel with them and see the world more clearly. Anything would be possible, and perhaps the mage guild would be a option once he becomes more knowledgeable, but at the beginning he is more of a adventurer than anything. Thanks for the advice man!

Hey, glad to help man. I trust you'll be getting into some solid adventures in no time. It's probably the best time to be a character like that. Keep a look out for antagonist related stuff, too, because believe you me, I spent a solid few months being curious about the Undead back in the day and it was some exhilarating stuff (and a great deal of character development came from it, too!). 

My golden rule for characters is always having a set goal they wish to achieve, whether this is becoming a warrior, travelling north, learning to ride a horse or create a library for all the literature of the world.  Having this I believe could help stop your character just being a curious guy with only one trick " what's that? what's this? How does this work? Why you doing that?". Just my two cents on it :)

My golden rule for characters is always having a set goal they wish to achieve, whether this is becoming a warrior, travelling north, learning to ride a horse or create a library for all the literature of the world.  Having this I believe could help stop your character just being a curious guy with only one trick " what's that? what's this? How does this work? Why you doing that?". Just my two cents on it :)

This is where I believe I may have mis represented him a bit. My character isn't curious george (:P) He is curious about many things but he is far from having only one trick. I see him more as a rugged but suave survivalist, someone who could get information other people cant due to his attituide. I don't see him as having only on trick, in fact I see him as the exact opposite. I see him as a jack of all trades sort of guy. He knows a bit about everything, but is not a master on any one thing. He could use a sword well, but not anywhere as close to as good as a Oren warrior, at the same time he would also likely know more about Kharajyr culture than a typical Oren warrior. For every weakness he has, which is a many, he has a opposite strength.

I see him as a Captain Jack Sparrow esque character, not because of looks, the way he talks or anything, but his attituide in general. He takes life one step at a time because to him there is no other way to take it. I hope to break boundaries without creating fallacies and without causing ooc dispute.

As for your idea on having a goal, I entirely agree. That is something I did with most of my characters in the past, and it worked slightly, but this character is different. I don't want to go into this character thinking "I want to do this, then that, then this." I just want to go with the flow. He will find goals through role play. I did have a backset for him involving his want to find a sort of "fountain of youth". Even if a direct fountain like that doesn't exist, the goal is simply to find a way to live longer. The longer he can live, the more he can find out. He wouldn't be like most whom want to attain immortality to stop death or to achieve great power, he wants to live forever but not because he is afraid of death. He embraces death, but adores life more than most. Hence as I said, the embodiment of Humanity. Short lived but filled with potential.

Thanks for the replies again guys. Hope to see more coming!

Curious George was exactly what I was thinking before you explained it :P and I agree with the goal doesn't have to be so straightforward. Pikel's goal was  just to fight evil in anyway he could.

Curious George was exactly what I was thinking before you explained it :P and I agree with the goal doesn't have to be so straightforward. Pikel's goal was  just to fight evil in anyway he could.

So was I... I was imagining Curious George running away from orcs with a happy smile on his face :P

But in all seriousness, a character like this would bring an interesting roleplay. As you travel around the world, you build a reputation, and if someone stopped by somewhere and asked about you, they'd be like, "Oh, THAT guy. He was nosin' around my workshop a few days ago. Curious little bugger."

So I encourage you to do this. Have fun!