Notes From The Laboratory Of Doctor Gregor Ludivic, Volume 2: Willpower

Avacyn

Deep within the Mad Doctor's frosty lair, he has finished writing the second volume of his laboratory notes. These are entitled "Notes on the Mortal Spirit, Specifically Willpower".

leonardo-da-vincis-rendition-of-the-huma

"The spirit of a mortal is something that is quite... outstanding, and must be studied. I have encountered actions in my field research that are irrational and illogical. I made all the calculations beforehand, and the odds were in my favor, yet I still managed to be defeated. I place the reason for this unreasonable occurrences on the mortal brain and spirit... emotions and willpower are the driving force of mortal beings. They cause the scales to tip."

"Just the other day, I pricked a specimen with my paralysis mixture, and they fell into my grasp. I took them back to my clinic to begin my experimentation. Yet, other, unrelated people came to help. They were not physically or emotionally related in any way, yet they still aided this complete stranger. It does not make any sense. Mortals are foolish by nature, and so the disease of emotion and willpower must be cleansed from them. This is my life's work, but I am still so far from the answer to my conundrum... While a corpse may be pieced together out of the finest parts I can find, and cleansed of its spirit, it is still just a corpse. It cannot do anything. So I must find the secret to the Necromantic arts. My efforts have proved in vain, so far. I have increasing suspicion the Pale Man I keep finding may know something, but he always leaves before I can finish speaking to him. My next notes will be on Necromancy. Volume Two, concluded."

He signs it in ink, letting it dry in the large, skin-bound book of his extensive notes of anatomy.