[Event Creatures] Trolls

Trolls!  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Welcome Trolls to LotC?

This has some great potential for interesting roleplay, and many new avenues of roleplay will be accessible because of it. I'm all in favor of this addition. 

349447-troll_hunter_2.jpg

I planned on making troll lore, but never got around to doing so. If they are implemented I will most likely make one that I play for a day, just bringing fun RP.

THIS IS AWESOME! AND GREAT WORK! PLEASE BE IMPLEMENTED. I feel it will be a great part of role play society, its gonna be awesome to rp as dumb big fat monsters with a couple of people. This also brings in something new, because i feel lots of people rp as if they are intelligent all the time. Great work Sodapops

Very interesting. It's quite well formatted and enjoyable to read. Although could you add in how you would plan for this to be implemented? For example would people have to make an application, ect.

MUTTON TODAY, MUTTON YESTERDAY, AND BOY, IF IT DON'T LOOK LIKE MUTTON TOMORROW

That whole concept really brought this up. :)

I vote sure, this would be an interesting addition to the server, however I bring up a point to you. As of now, the server only sees nightfall for about 10 minutes at a time, every 10 minutes. Would you not want this/request that this be changed? I mean, as of now, RP sometimes takes three days in MC, yet maybe only an hour IRL. I don't want your race to be rushes out of RP that you are only a few minutes into because the MC's time is weird. 

TL;DR It ain't dark for long and your RP will be handicapped really bad. You should see if you can get it fixed. ain'tain'tain'tain't

I'm going to talk to Telanir about getting the old schedule (30 minutes of day, 30 minutes of night) back, and if so then this shouldn't be a problem! Thanks for bringing that up.

I quite like the idea. If roleplayed by good roleplayers then I don't see why  it cannot be added,

My view exactly! :D

Though I see the light "limmit" being a factor in limmiting Rp, I would love to see some of these buggers ingame ^-^

As I stated just before this, I'll talk to Telanir to see about getting nights and day to be longer. Thanks for pointing this out! And yeah, I really hope so too. :)

This has some great potential for interesting roleplay, and many new avenues of roleplay will be accessible because of it. I'm all in favor of this addition. 

349447-troll_hunter_2.jpg

Thanks, man! :D

I planned on making troll lore, but never got around to doing so. If they are implemented I will most likely make one that I play for a day, just bringing fun RP.

Hope so! :)

THIS IS AWESOME! AND GREAT WORK! PLEASE BE IMPLEMENTED. I feel it will be a great part of role play society, its gonna be awesome to rp as dumb big fat monsters with a couple of people. This also brings in something new, because i feel lots of people rp as if they are intelligent all the time. Great work Sodapops

Thanks, Sebastian! I hope we can get them around too.

Very interesting. It's quite well formatted and enjoyable to read. Although could you add in how you would plan for this to be implemented? For example would people have to make an application, ect.

I'll start thinking something up, thanks for pointing this out. I'll let you know when I have it out!

I thought there already was troll lore? It was actually very well written, I can't seem to find it though.

It was more directed to an evolutionary approach, whereby they were orcs whom lived within harsh weathers - growing very large and storing plenty of body fat to ensure that they keep warm, their strength derivative from their need to kill large snow-creatures. They had an inability to speak the native tongue due to their solitude, language was lost and they developed their own way of communication (grunts and other noises).

I'm not saying everything must be explained, but it's nice to see something other than "creator did it" for once.

These trolls just sounds like someone taken out of Tolkien's books without much amendment. Sure, LotC is meant to be loosely based upon them, but this is practically identical.  You haven't much explained why an Orc turns to stone, the Creator 'forgot' to make them able to live in the light? Sounds like something a devout religious man may ramble.

This seems like a character profile of a generic troll more-so than anything (physical characteristics, habits & behaviours).

It's an alright idea - people want something similar to a Troll to roleplay and have for quite some time. However, I do not believe you have explained their origin with enough detail, it seems to me that you got a little lazy during this part and just resorted to the Creator explanation.

Most race proposals have an in-depth reason for how they have come to be and why they are in the world. It doesn't seem to make much sense for the Creator to be suddenly creating new creature, especially since their only purpose is to ransack and pillage.For what reason would the Creator have to do this, he already created plenty of life in the beginning of which have prospered - then just to create a Troll to cause misery?

Evil Creator.

To my knowledge the Huunteklaat lore, the lore that was similar to this, was recently revoked for some odd reason and is not in use any longer, making the use of this lore more than possible.  

I thought there already was troll lore? It was actually very well written, I can't seem to find it though.

It was more directed to an evolutionary approach, whereby they were orcs whom lived within harsh weathers - growing very large and storing plenty of body fat to ensure that they keep warm, their strength derivative from their need to kill large snow-creatures. They had an inability to speak the native tongue due to their solitude, language was lost and they developed their own way of communication (grunts and other noises).

I'm not saying everything must be explained, but it's nice to see something other than "creator did it" for once.

These trolls just sounds like someone taken out of Tolkien's books without much amendment. Sure, LotC is meant to be loosely based upon them, but this is practically identical.  You haven't much explained why an Orc turns to stone, the Creator 'forgot' to make them able to live in the light? Sounds like something a devout religious man may ramble.

This seems like a character profile of a generic troll more-so than anything (physical characteristics, habits & behaviours).

It's an alright idea - people want something similar to a Troll to roleplay and have for quite some time. However, I do not believe you have explained their origin with enough detail, it seems to me that you got a little lazy during this part and just resorted to the Creator explanation.

Most race proposals have an in-depth reason for how they have come to be and why they are in the world. It doesn't seem to make much sense for the Creator to be suddenly creating new creature, especially since their only purpose is to ransack and pillage.For what reason would the Creator have to do this, he already created plenty of life in the beginning of which have prospered - then just to create a Troll to cause misery?

Evil Creator.

There was Ogre Lore that followed that idea, yet since there is already Ogre (Olog) lore for Lord of the Craft, it was denied.

The reason I chose to have a Creator approach, is because I'd like to emphasize the idea that not every little nitpicky detail needs to have lore for it - In the server's foundational lore, the Creator made Orcs, Dwarves, Elves, and Humans... Why would he not create other creatures? I suppose I could say that a single celled organism began to evolve and adapt from an ocean stage into what it is today, but there's not much use in going in such detail. As I have stated, it's nitpicking, rather than getting out what really needs to be said about the creature (habits, physical traits, etc.).

Yes, for the most part this was based off of Tolkien's Trolls, which were based off of old European legends. These Trolls are based off of the Nordic Trolls. As for it being a complete copy, I suppose it is. But that's fantasy, odd creatures. Trolls have been seen in many fictional universes, and I'm just hoping to welcome them into ours. It's much like the concept of Dragons... They have been in countless tales, yet they are also in Lord of the Craft, and for the most part have brought a fun experience!

As for the purpose of the Troll, I stated that it was to survive, and isn't that what nearly all creatures do? That's how humanity has risen to the top of the food chain today, because we have survived. The Trolls do the same, it's just that their methods of it are different (taking, rather than making).

I don't mean for this to sound aggressive, sorry if it comes out as such! Your feedback has brought many ideas to me. If you've got more things to discuss, feel more than welcome to post them.

There was Ogre Lore that followed that idea, yet since there is already Ogre (Olog) lore for Lord of the Craft, it was denied.

The reason I chose to have a Creator approach, is because I'd like to emphasize the idea that not every little nitpicky detail needs to have lore for it - In the server's foundational lore, the Creator made Orcs, Dwarves, Elves, and Humans... Why would he not create other creatures? I suppose I could say that a single celled organism began to evolve and adapt from an ocean stage into what it is today, but there's not much use in going in such detail. As I have stated, it's nitpicking, rather than getting out what really needs to be said about the creature (habits, physical traits, etc.).

Yes, for the most part this was based off of Tolkien's Trolls, which were based off of old European legends. These Trolls are based off of the Nordic Trolls. As for it being a complete copy, I suppose it is. But that's fantasy, odd creatures. Trolls have been seen in many fictional universes, and I'm just hoping to welcome them into ours. It's much like the concept of Dragons... They have been in countless tales, yet they are also in Lord of the Craft, and for the most part have brought a fun experience!

As for the purpose of the Troll, I stated that it was to survive, and isn't that what nearly all creatures do? That's how humanity has risen to the top of the food chain today, because we have survived. The Trolls do the same, it's just that their methods of it are different (taking, rather than making).

I don't mean for this to sound aggressive, sorry if it comes out as such! Your feedback has brought many ideas to me. If you've got more things to discuss, feel more than welcome to post them.

Not everything needs an explanation, no. But the origin of a race? That's a pretty important thing and seems very silly to throw away an important detail based upon the premise that you think "Not everything needs to be explained!" All lore regards races have lore to their origin, and a pretty solid that at that, look at the lore for the Mori'Quessir for example.

The Creator did not create Humans, Orcs, Elves and Dwarves.

Why would they turn to stone though? What reasoning is there behind this? Again, take the Mori'Quessir, they did not turn to stone but they could not live in the light - why? It was excruciatingly painful and severely limited their sight. The Creator wouldn't just 'forget'.

The point is that Trolls are supposedly a sub-race of Orcs, right? Because of which, it should have an origin which relates to Orcs. That's how I see it, anyway.

Not everything needs an explanation, no. But the origin of a race? That's a pretty important thing and seems very silly to throw away an important detail based upon the premise that you think "Not everything needs to be explained!" All lore regards races have lore to their origin, and a pretty solid that at that, look at the lore for the Mori'Quessir for example.

The Creator did not create Humans, Orcs, Elves and Dwarves.

Why would they turn to stone though? What reasoning is there behind this? Again, take the Mori'Quessir, they did not turn to stone but they could not live in the light - why? It was excruciatingly painful and severely limited their sight.

The point is that Trolls are supposedly a sub-race of Orcs, right? Because of which, it should have an origin which relates to Orcs. That's how I see it, anyway.

This is not really a major race (or sub-race, for that matter), but an inhabitant of the world. A creature. It is not a sub-race of Orcs, I'm not sure where you got that.

The Creator did make the four main races of LotC, check it out: http://lotc-wiki.wikidot.com/wiki:the-ancient-history

I'll develop the reason they turn to stone more, I admit that it is unclear. Perhaps a curse was given to them by The Creator, or their years in the darkness have made it so it pains them to be in the light?

This is not really a major race (or sub-race, for that matter), but an inhabitant of the world. A creature. It is not a sub-race of Orcs, I'm not sure where you got that.

The Creator did make the four main races of LotC, check it out: http://lotc-wiki.wikidot.com/wiki:the-ancient-history

I'll develop the reason they turn to stone more, I admit that it is unclear. Perhaps a curse was given to them by The Creator, or their years in the darkness have made it so it pains them to be in the light?

No, the first man and woman birthed four children (Horen, Krug, Urguan and Malin)  in different corners of Aegis, it even says it on that page. Their physical characteristics were due to chance/environment, some of the races were also influenced in their physical attributes by their curse from Iblees.

All things inhabit the world and these things are also creatures, I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this. I got the 'sub-race' thing from the fact you've compared Orcs to Trolls throughout the lore, perhaps I jumped to a conclusion slightly, though. It makes perfect sense to me and thus motivated this conclusion.

That reasoning seems fine. ^^

Bili, The troll rider!

Love the lore by the way. Good luck!

r0GEvHN.png

Bili, The troll rider!

Love the lore by the way. Good luck!r0GEvHN.png 

Oh my gosh, this is fantastic!!! Hahaha, thank you man!

No, the first man and woman birthed four children (Horen, Krug, Urguan and Malin)  in different corners of Aegis, it even says it on that page. Their physical characteristics were due to chance/environment, some of the races were also influenced in their physical attributes by their curse from Iblees.

All things inhabit the world and these things are also creatures, I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this. I got the 'sub-race' thing from the fact you've compared Orcs to Trolls throughout the lore, perhaps I jumped to a conclusion slightly, though. It makes perfect sense to me and thus motivated this conclusion.

That reasoning seems fine. ^^

Even though a man and woman created the four children children, the "Creator" still made the man and woman. So who's to say that the creator didnt create man and woman troll thing that created the troll creatures. My point is, if the creator can create things in thin air, that means he can create any thing practically. So, SodaPops is right because he is the creator of the lore. So if he says Trolls are a thing the creator made. Well than thats part of the lore, because the creator's abilities can do that. Because this is a beast that isnt exactly a new race and coming from an origin that is not by the Creator. Than you can argue where they formed. I am no way a lore master, but this is just my view on how these types of lore work. So I could be very wrong! :P

Even though a man and woman created the four children children, the "Creator" still made the man and woman. So who's to say that the creator didnt create man and woman troll thing that created the troll creatures. My point is, if the creator can create things in thin air, that means he can create any thing practically. So, SodaPops is right because he is the creator of the lore. So if he says Trolls are a thing the creator made. Well than thats part of the lore, because the creator's abilities can do that. Because this is a beast that isnt exactly a new race and coming from an origin that is not by the Creator. Than you can argue where they formed. I am no way a lore master, but this is just my view on how these types of lore work. So I could be very wrong! :P

I never said his lore was 'wrong', just that there is nothing to suggest the Creator would create even more life,  rather let the already inhabited world takes its course, this is supported by the whole Horen, Krug, Urguan and Malinor thing. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it seems like the last resort or a little laziness (?) perhaps, it's something that has been tried a lot.

Basically, you'll have everyone creating lore with the explanation of the Creator (i.e. "The Creator did it."), perhaps this is a little exaggerated, but it was and is the point being made here, you cannot blame everything on divine intervention.