[Whimsical Magic] Bardmancy

Merkaken

20 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this lore?

• I like it!
    • I don't care for it. (Post below why)
    • You should change this... (Post below what to change)

OOC Note: This magic is NOT for combat, healing, etc. This is just for funsies.

Bardmancy

Bardamcy. This is the magic of drawing sounds from the void and organizing it into song. Like normal Bards, Bardmancers sing, though unlike Bards, their songs are magic! Depending on what kind of song the bard is singing, it can lift someone’s mood from a rough day, or make them feel even worse through heavy suggestion of the mind.

The magic is rather simple. It just increase the emotion that the bard is putting into his song and suggest how the person hearing the song feels. As the bard grows stronger in the magic, he or she can have more of a sway on other emotions and can have the influence over it for longer periods of time, but can never fully control the person’s mood.

Gaining the ability to learn the magic is rather simple. They may seek out a bard that already knows this type of magic, or perhaps find a tome written by a bard. Be wary, however! The tomes are hard to come by, and are quite valuable.

Bard-Offs

Bard offs are basically a “duel” between two Bards. It’s quite literally a magical sing off. The two bards sing until the other can sing no more. The one who sings the longest wins! What do they win? Bragging rights, or any wagers placed on the Bard-Off.

Base Magic Types: Positives

Song of Harmony: Calms people down

Song of Relaxation: Lets people relax, loosening muscles, allowing people to feel less stressed out.

Song of Taste: Allows food and drinks to taste a lot better

Song of Lust: Makes people a lot more affectionate towards other/more attracted to the bard

Song of Ecstasy: Makes people feel euphoric, happy beyond belief! A very advanced song.

Base Magic Types: Negatives

Song of Annoying: Makes people annoyed by your song

Song of Uncomfort: People start to feel rather uncomfortable around you

Song of Bitterness: Food and drinks taste a lot more bitter, like ground up grass.

Song of Rage: The song makes people angry, more pumped for battle, though it does not strengthen the person’s attack. Just makes them pumped.

Song of Sadness: Makes people feel depressed, bummed out, and feel like crying. Very advanced song.

Instruments:

Instruments used in Bard Magic are not the same as any ordinary instrument, as it amplifies the Bard’s song through MAGIC. The magic is infused into an instrument by a specific song that only full on Bards can learn. The magic is then infused to the instrument, acting like a staff to a mage, amplifying the amount of time a Bard can sing, and how much influence it has. The instrument could be anything! It could be a piano, a flute, a lute, a violin, anything! So long as it creates music, and is infused with the magic song.

Tier Spells and Advancement Time

Taught by Teacher

Tier 1: Song of Harmony, Song of Annoying (1 Week)

Tier 2: Song of Uncomfort, Song of Relaxation, Instrument Enchantment (2 Weeks)

Tier 3: Song of Taste, Song of Bitterness (4 Weeks)

Tier 4: Song of Lust, Song of Rage (1 month)

Tier 5: Song of Ecstasy, Song of Sadness (1 Month and 2 Weeks)

Self Taught:

Tier 1: Song of Harmony, Song of Annoying (2 Weeks)

Tier 2: Song of Uncomfort, Song of Relaxation, Instrument Enchantment (3 Weeks)

Tier 3: Song of Taste, Song of Bitterness (4 Weeks)

Tier 4: Song of Lust, Song of Rage (1 month 2 weeks)

Tier 5: Song of Ecstasy, Song of Sadness (1 Month and 5 Weeks)

FAQ

Q: So, if I am a bard, do I need to learn Bardmancy?

A: Absolutely not! Not everyone needs magic to sing! That would be silly.

Q: If I am a regular bard, does that mean I know Bardmancy?

A: No. A regular bard does not suddenly know Bardmancy because he/she decides to be a Bard. They’d have to learn it like everyone else.

Q: Will this magic be locked?

A: No. Anyone can use it. However, you must be taught how to use it, or find a tome on how to use it.

Q: So, what is the difference between regular singing and Bardmancy?

A: Bardmancy is sound taken from the Void, and organized into singing. The words can influence the mind of those who hear it.

Q: Can Bardmancers sing forever?

A: No. A Bardmancer uses mana like any other magic user. They must advance through the tiers to sustain their song longer.

Q: What is the point of this?

A: To make Bards a bit more enticing, interesting, and fun.

Q: Can a Bardmancer use their song to hurt people?

A: Their feelings, maybe. But otherwise, no. At most, they can just make someone feel depressed or really bummed out.

Q: Can you force people to feel a certain way?

A: To avoid powergaming, no. All Bardmancers can do is strongly suggest someone to feel a certain way. Do note that it is easy to be affected by the Bardmancer’s song, depending on what tier they are, I.E A Tier 1 Bardmancer would not be able to influence a mind as powerfully as someone in Tier 5

Q: What instruments can be Bardmancy instruments?

A: Any! So long as it is a real instrument and the Song of Enchantment has been placed on it.

Q: Can you use Bardmancy for villainous acts?

A: If you do it right, sure. Though you’d have to get creative with what you have.

Q: Are the spells listed the only spells that you can learn?

A: No. Those are just the basic effects the songs put on people. More will likely be added later, though no guarantees can be made.

Q: Is Bardmancy meant to be harmful?

A: Not at all! It is simply meant to be fun for the Bard and those around him.

Guide to Bardmancy Magic

Derp walks in to the inn, grunting and clearly peeved off. He sits down on a stool, grumblingto himself. A Bardmancer starts strumming her lute, summoning sound from the void and sending it outward. Derp smiles a little, the music getting to him, feeling it hug him, make him feel all warm and fuzzy...

This is an exaple of Bardmancy affecting someone who is willing to be cheered up. As for someone not willing to accept the magic...

The Bardmancer suddenly stops, summoning a new kind of song. The Dwarf would feel pin needles on his skin, getting creepy crawlies, suddenly feeling /very/ uncomfortable. However, he is in such a good mood that he doesn't let him bother him, and the creepy crawlies stop.

Red Lines

Forcing people to feel a certain way is /not/ allowed. We can merely strongly suggest their mind to feel a certai nway. That is all.

Cuasing someone horrible pain does not happen with Bardmancy. The worst thing we can do is make someone feel depressed and bummed out while they are near the Bardmancer or can hear their song. That is it.

Bardmancy cannot heal or harm anything. All we can do is make people feel good or uncomfortable/upset.

Singing forever is not allowed. Bardmancers, though some may not realize it, do use mana, and as such, cannot sing forever. Not even a Tier 5 Bardmancer can sing forever. However, as it is such simple magic, Bardmancers can use their magic longer and more often than, say, a Pyromancer. However, Bardmancers can still be exhausted and faint from using their magic too long. We may not have combat skills, but Bardmancy is still magic, and must abide by the rules of magic.

((Huge thanks to Watyll and samsan99 for helping create this lore. Couldn't have done it without you guys!))

Edit: Had the wrong font color ;-;

Edit 2: Added a guide as well as red lines

Me gusta. We could use a magic that is outside the lines of battle. +1

Oh sweet :'D Me and a few others were writing lore for a creature that sang to influence people. Except it was with binaural tones ^^

I like this. I like it a lot.

Great idea, I love it! But more development would be preferable, love the idea! :D

Mind giving an example? What do you mean?

Mind giving an example? What do you mean?

I mean, this is great already, if you wanted to, you could do it like a magic role-play guide, with red lines and stuff. 

I make the same post in every single magic thread. It seems to be quite frequently missed.

Could probably get an enchanted lute that did this approved though.

I make the same post in every single magic thread. It seems to be quite frequently missed.

Could probably get an enchanted lute that did this approved though.

I don't really follow what you are saying.