[Guide] The Lose System

DruinsBane

The lose system

Role-play combat as of past and present has suffered scrutiny, being that it is liable to powergaming and a large consumer of time, that could be devoted to other aspects of role-play. It is in this guide that I detail time management and the absence of powergaming.

Winning a term used to attribute success, victory in a role-play fight may not be 'winning'. The key to winning is the contribution of enjoyment from all parties within the event, that meaning the absence of powergaming is essential.

The lose rule

The lose rule is an idea that one should be always willing to lose, the absence of victory is not in itself the absence of success, if one is not willing to lose than one should not permit themselves to role-play combat. Even the most seasoned of characters can falter under the unexpected elements of combat.

The five minute rule

Combat should never succeed five minutes, the stagnation and weariness of role-play may provoke unsavory actions within the individual, were as in the time could be devoted more beneficially. This does not mean that a random act of god should smite you, but the next blow should render you defeated, this does not need to be lethal.

Now the five minute rule is not all encompassing, but a good way to manage time during combat, if you and your opponent wish to continue combat who am I to say no. Now this system isn't compulsory nor am I suggesting it, but it is as my opinion deems it, a good way to manage time.

Asking people to stop wanting to win is as effective as telling a waterfall to stop.

Most people want to win, regardless of what other people say about.

Those who don't mind losing already act like that. Those who do mind, well they will probably keep on minding.

However, if nation and guild leaders can agree to this then chances are they can influence their groups to adopt this mentality. Either by not allowing them to build/use methods that have a high chance of success but make little sense in rp/are d***moves. Or simply by adopting a 'fun over winning attitude.'

-snip-

If they should heed my word's it is up to them, nor am I as previously said suggesting this to be compulsory. If one person stops to think due to my thread than it was worth posting.

Asking people to stop wanting to win is as effective as telling a waterfall to stop.

Most people want to win, regardless of what other people say about.

Those who don't mind losing already act like that. Those who do mind, well they will probably keep on minding.

However, if nation and guild leaders can agree to this then chances are they can influence their groups to adopt this mentality. Either by not allowing them to build/use methods that have a high chance of success but make little sense in rp/are d***moves. Or simply by adopting a 'fun over winning attitude.'

It's alright to wish to win, it definitely is. But being unfair about it is rude and uncalled for usually. 

Lots of people are like writer of this guide, some aren't. The ones who aren't need to realize rp is cooperation, not the opposite. ;p 

After reading this guide extensively and re-reading it. I find this guide to be rather well thought-out and well placed. I believe that if we do revert back into a society where we can roleplay combat freely without the fear of Pvp we should look towards this guide in terms of loosing. As well as- This guide reminds me a lot of a list of rules for T1-Rp a forum-based style of roleplay which can be found here.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/12603848/T1-Rules-and-guidelines