EmbryoGod

Honestly I have no idea where this question would go, so I'm just gonna post it here since this has to do with roleplay and can kind of be taken as an idea. 

My question is: what dictates an explosion on LoTC? Are we talking about Chemical Explosions? (i.e decomposition reactions or combination reactions) Or are we talking about Physical Explosions? (i.e things such as high pressure)

Now for my examples of these:

Chemical Reactions:

Decomposition:

When molecules decompose they produce combustible gases that create a wave which would be what you would call the "explosion" (for example TNT).

Combination:

Think Fireworks, things have to be combined together to make an explosion.

Physical Explosions:

These are pretty much explosions where high pressure builds up and bursts, these are the least likely kind of explosions, for instance over-inflating a ball. 

Chemistry does not exist in LotC. We have alchemy instead. Explosions in alchemy happen because of elemental imbalances. For example, if you have a potion with too much fire representation and not enough water, it'll explode because the fire representation will take over and cause such.

I'd love to say that explosions are due to combustion or whatever (alchemist's fire would realistically fall under the combustion field: it reacts badly with air [oxygen] which causes it to explode in a fury of fire [in combustion the reaction releases energy in the form of light and heat]) but in LotC its all fantasy. Therefore, /chemistry/ in LotC is due to Alchemical imbalances.

Sadly, the server does not allow this and everything happens because it simply 'happens'.

If chemistry didn't exist then how do we have fire, smelting, or cooking?

If chemistry didn't exist then how do we have fire, smelting, or cooking?

I meant Chemistry as in the study of change itself, not change. Change exists. Natural laws apply. I like to think, however, that the change is driven by equivalent exchange rather than interacting molecules and particles.

As for the change itself, its based off of equivalent exchange mostly. You can argue that fire is characterized by the wood's flame symbol potential being put into action by a spark. You can also argue the same for smelting, as the ore's potential to melt is activated by a sort of stimulus. Cooking is basically tasty alchemy: you throw in a bunch of edible materials in a certain ratio, stimulate it with fire, and activate that material's equivalent exchange potential, causing it to blend with other materials and balance itself out until it gives food it's 'taste'.

I mean, thats my opinion on how informed IG characters would try to explain it. 

I don't like to over-think this. I know some people like to get real life stuff mixed up with the server but this ain't your high school sophomore chemistry class, its a MC roleplay server. I enjoy the prospect of LotC being driven by fantastical forces, such as the four elements interacting with eachother in equivalent exchange to make things happen. It adds a lot more characteristic to the server than just saying that normal rules apply.

Explosions are always the result of high pressure being created, but I don't know if that is the answer you want. The Chemistry explosions you talk about are cause due to rapid raise in temperature due to combustion (most times) which heats up the air, raising pressure, which creates a shock wave. What you call the physical explosions, is just the container of high pressure being broken, and the pressure leveling just outside it, and it behaves exacly like the chemical explosion, just without the high temperatures.

So:

Chemical explosion -> Raise Temperature -> Raise Pressure -> Explosion

Physical explosion -> Big pressure release -> Explosion

Fair enough

Explosions are always the result of high pressure being created, but I don't know if that is the answer you want. The Chemistry explosions you talk about are cause due to rapid raise in temperature due to combustion (most times) which heats up the air, raising pressure, which creates a shock wave. What you call the physical explosions, is just the container of high pressure being broken, and the pressure leveling just outside it, and it behaves exacly like the chemical explosion, just without the high temperatures.

So:

Chemical explosion -> Raise Temperature -> Raise Pressure -> Explosion

Physical explosion -> Big pressure release -> Explosion

Well no I meant which one is allowed and not allowed, I know what an explosion is. Like for instance, are just explosions related to gunpowder not allowed? Because I knew there was some sort of limit on what explosions could do

Can you alchemist chaps just say that due to the laws of nature in LOTC that explosions can not be made with the force able to cause structural (block) damage unless its in a certain proportion and ratio precise to the gram that just explains TNT blocks?

Can you alchemist chaps just say that due to the laws of nature in LOTC that explosions can not be made with the force able to cause structural (block) damage unless its in a certain proportion and ratio precise to the gram that just explains TNT blocks?

^This

TNT can be made, so structual damage can be made (I think...). Is it permanent? If it's not, I can create a quick lore on it and let the rest of the LMs check if it's good enough.

As an undergraduate chemist, the errors in the description of explosions make me sad.

As a former lore master, you can't make use of chemistry because nobody actually knows anything about it: it'd be metagaming. There's no real motivation to study it in a world that has alchemy.

Stuff can blow up. Stuff does blow up. We don't, however, have cannons and blunderbusses because gunpowder weaponary. It's not necessarily that you physically can't do it, just that nobody ever thinks it up IC because they're not allowed to OOC.

If you want to know if what you're thinking of is allowed, be direct and say what it is.