Recent Memory Removal - Mind Magic Addiction

Jistuma

This lore is [under Review].

Please expect a response within a week or just afterward, feel free to continue to submit criticism should you deem it appropriate. 

I just had a thought. How will this benefit the victim? This lore seems to only benefit the mind Mage. This seems no different than just killing them.

I don't think this would cause too many problems in game. Though the only thing I have to say of this possible addition is that Mental Magic's effects are only to be temporary. The permanent removal of memories seems to cross the line IMO. Even if only limiting to an Elven hour. Perhaps if a mage could somehow suppress them as ttwesten had made a remark on. That would give room for their character to slowly make sense of the cloud that's held over such memories. Or have it so it could be reverted so the character could make sense of things.

It offers the character an option of making someone forget something instead of just killing them. Let's say you're able to bribe a guard into letting you into the city, but figure instead of killing them ((And having a body)( You mind wipe them ever meeting or seeing you.

So their memory having forgotten that event would probarly chain together the idea he's been on watch idling the whole time. 

I like this comment a lot, though I will say there is always the choice to kill someone and remove the memory that way.

if it's approved I want to see mental mages having a massive headache or just some kind of downside besides 'gee I'm tired'. Something hellish that makes people want to not do it lol

I just had a thought. How will this benefit the victim? This lore seems to only benefit the mind Mage. This seems no different than just killing them.

Personally I'd rather lose a little bit of memories than die and lose everything. As I already pointed out in my post, the mage doesn't have to wipe everything out of that hour. Plus the process is so complex and not something the mage can hide from the victim so thus provides rp. 

I don't think this would cause too many problems in game. Though the only thing I have to say of this possible addition is that Mental Magic's effects are only to be temporary. The permanent removal of memories seems to cross the line IMO. Even if only limiting to an Elven hour. Perhaps if a mage could somehow suppress them as ttwesten had made a remark on. That would give room for their character to slowly make sense of the cloud that's held over such memories. Or have it so it could be reverted so the character could make sense of things.

Eventually regaining the memory though would defeat the purpose of wiping it in the first place. I like how Meta put it, the character could notice that they've got time missing that they can't account for and try to ask people and piece together why. Becomes a little mystery to investigate instead of just waiting for it to come back or getting someone else to undo it. Take the more fun and complex way instead of the easy way out.

My mistake on how I worded my last post. What I meant was for the affected individual suffering such. Would to have a sort of mental block put up, which could either be pecked away over time by a strong-willed mind. A good example of them actually breaking the spell would be them hunting down vital clues that lead up to the point in which their mind was altered. Or have a mental mage remove such a barrier by peering into the person's mind and tweaking it back. I'm not against this idea, though it could use just a little alteration in making it more balanced, instead of abolishing the memory altogether.

If the general civil war in oren is any sort of indicator, there are PLENTY of consequences in RP if you kill someone...

Not really. If you 'kill' someone and they survive at the CT it's not really treated as a kill but an attempted kill. The civil war problems in Oren were sparked mainly due to the fact that three Vladovs PKed their characters.

[Pending]

This addition needs greater drawbacks, and some way for the memories to be restored.

yes. Just yes. We need something to make Mental magic more useful!

Added:

The removal of the memories is not a perfect thing. While dying removes the memories completely, there is a chance for reversing the effects of the mind wipe. Another Mind Mage is required for such and there are limits. All of the memories can not return, and also, with time it becomes far harder to restore the memories. An Elven week after the incident, and the memories can never return.

Added:

The removal of the memories is not a perfect thing. While dying removes the memories completely, there is a chance for reversing the effects of the mind wipe. Another Mind Mage is required for such and there are limits. All of the memories can not return, and also, with time it becomes far harder to restore the memories. An Elven week after the incident, and the memories can never return.

A mind mage of the same caliber or better I assume? Or would a lesser mind mage be able to help return a portion of the memories? As you said, all of the memories can not return. Is it possible for the mage doing the initial wiping to focus specifically on a portion of the memories more than the other portion to ensure that part doesn't return? Or is it based off chance?

If it's chance, more likely than not whoever is recovering their memories are going to bullshit and bring back only the important bits, making it more useful to simply kill someone, which defeats the purpose of the memory wipe.