Recent Memory Removal - Mind Magic Addiction

Jistuma

So it appears that the spell of mind magic that was used to remove recent memories was not actually accepted before, or denied, just... sort of forgotten and then moved to the archives. So here it is once more. It was written by SupremacyOps, and I am copy pasting it.

Mind Magic, otherwise known as Illusion's inbred cousin has been for a long time lacking and somewhat useless as a magic type. As of now it is a form of illusion which takes longer and can act only on one person. In exchange it receives the ability to view memories, arguably useful but not enough to make it worth being a separate subtype. Thus mental magic, should this lore pass, shall be granted a new ability: That of expunging memories entirely.

The Mind Mage shall be only capable of expunging memories which have occurred in the last elven hour. Meaning they can not entirely wipe the memory of their target. This process will neither be short, nor particularly long. However, it most certainly can not be done instantaneously, taking at least 5 or more emotes to achieve such. The target will be aware of the presence and the process will, indeed, be mildly painful meaning that they may strike back at he who is erasing their memory. The focus required for this is delicate. Loud noises, flashes or pain can disrupt this magic. Shouting and clapping are not enough. However, once complete they will remember only what the Mental Mage wishes of their last hour of memories.

Consider it an alternative to killing someone IC. Their memory is whiped by magic, rather than trauma to one's mind caused by an Aenguldaemonic resurrection after having one's soul separated from their body proper.

The removal of the memories is not a perfect thing. While dying removes the memories completely, there is a chance for reversing the effects of the mind wipe. Another Mind Mage is required for such and there are limits. All of the memories can not return, and also, with time it becomes far harder to restore the memories. An Elven week after the incident, and the memories can never return.

Mental Magic is very strong as it is. This also pretty much avoids all the consequences of killing someone while still having the large benefit of removing their memory. 

I think this can be used in a very unique manner, as suppressing memories is one thing but not to remove them, now that is something interesting, giving a hour window a lot can happen and you can erase a lot in a hour. I like the concept. 

Mental Magic is very strong as it is. This also pretty much avoids all the consequences of killing someone while still having the large benefit of removing their memory. 

What consequences are there for killing someone?

What consequences are there for killing someone?

If the general civil war in oren is any sort of indicator, there are PLENTY of consequences in RP if you kill someone...

I think it's the point, for the magic to be able to remove consequences. This is the common nature of magic - a better, though more volatile, means to an end.

Though mental magic was fine as it is, and it's existence as a valid art shouldn't be questioned any more than illusion. One is simply more isolated based on dynamics.

It's not the lore that's bad, characters shouldn't really have a way to simply yank memories away and wipe them. I say this as a mental Mage btw, villainy isn't enjoyable when it ends in memory loss; it's less meaningful and seems cheap.

It's not the lore that's bad, characters shouldn't really have a way to simply yank memories away and wipe them. I say this as a mental Mage btw, villainy isn't enjoyable when it ends in memory loss; it's less meaningful and seems cheap.

I like this comment a lot, though I will say there is always the choice to kill someone and remove the memory that way.

If the general civil war in oren is any sort of indicator, there are PLENTY of consequences in RP if you kill someone...

You'll have to tell me more, because I really can't see how you killing someone will bring you consequences that taking the memories won't. Oh, btw, I'm talking when not being found out, and the player not PK'ing, which is 99% of the times when this memory wipe would have a use. I mean, why would bandits erase someone's memories if they don't do it to everyone around?

This addition of the magic ONLY has use when a player is captured and roleplayed with. You're not going to be in the middle of a battlefield or at the end of a fight erasing the memories of the fight to the survivors.

Consequences of killing someone: That someone wakes up in the cloud temple with a hangover and missing memories of the night before.

Consequences of erasing the resent memories of someone: That someone wakes up somewhere with a hangover and missing memories of the night before.

Consequences of being seen killing someone: The person can track down and find out why it happened/kill/etc.

Consequences of being seen erasing the memories: The person can talk to the person that got the memories erased and then track down and find out why it happened/kill/etc with the not dead person.

I like this comment a lot, though I will say there is always the choice to kill someone and remove the memory that way.

I think that's the main use of it. Instead of just killing someone, erase their memories. At least that way the person didn't die. That way at least the person knows something happened, and about where, and all that.

Incoming 'Jace the Mindsculpter'.

This'll be useful for covering one's tracks if something goes horribly wrong and with the added bonus of no loot!

As long as it's short term memory only, I'm in agreement with it. +1

I'm in agreement with a few people here. There needs to be set limits on this spell as to not make it go crazy. Even have backfiring capabilities so that its High Risk High Reward. I'll list that down below.

1) OOC Agreement to wipe memories - This shouldn't need top be explained. Cyndi is right that this should exist.

2) Short Term Memory - What is a Short term memory? Anything involving the conflict that occurred to lead to the memory wipe. 

Foir High Risk - High Reward, I propose the following

Mages that are just learning or haven't yet gotten a firm grasp on this spell should have a risk of the spell backfiring on them, removing Short Term memory on themselves. This provides a counterbalance for all beginners with this spell.

Now as for Monks, I had this idea while typing. How would you feel if the memory was not 'wiped' yet repressed state, that dying or other mind mages of equal or stronger ability can bring back out for the person?

If you actually read over it carefully and think about different scenarios, this isn't going to be something used often but can be a handy tool in those rare circumstances that you can use it. 

The Mind Mage shall be only capable of expunging memories which have occurred in the last elven hour. 

Okay so, if something happens that I want erased I've got an irl hour to either find a mental mage or get into a spot where said mage can use this. While at first you might think an hour would make that easy... It really doesn't. 

As someone who plays a mental mage, my character often finds out stuff too late. But let's say I do manage to get there in time and the process begins. 

This process will neither be short, nor particularly long. However, it most certainly can not be done instantaneously, taking at least 5 or more emotes to achieve such.

So not instant, but not taking forever to do. 5 emotes gives other people plenty of time to interfere. 

The target will be aware of the presence and the process will, indeed, be mildly painful meaning that they may strike back at he who is erasing their memory.

This right here means either they'll have to agree to what I'm doing or I'm gonna need some preparation beforehand. If I'm forcing someone to lose a memory that they don't want to lose then I'm gonna need to have them bound or have backup to keep them off of me. And with that 5 emotes? Yeah that'd make actually a rather interesting fight.

The focus required for this is delicate. Loud noises, flashes or pain can disrupt this magic. Shouting and clapping are not enough. 

Okay so shouting and clapping doesn't work, can't make it /that/ easy for the 'victim' as they'd already be screaming or shouting from the pain most likely. 

Let's see here then. Loud noises. Well since my target is most likely shouting and putting up a fuss that means other people might hear it unless I'm like, underground. Someone breaking the door down to the room I'm in might count as a loud noise. If I've got allies then a fights gonna break out and depending on how people fight and what they've got that might do it too. Would need to know exactly how loud these loud noises are though.

Flashes, that right there tells me other mages or clerics can easily stop this. Obviously not the victim since I think they'd be distracted from connecting due to their own pain. Pretty sure war clerics can still make blinding light. Then you've got illusionists, I'm sure they could make something. Electric evocation is often pretty bright same with fire evocation. Those just being some examples.

Pain is much more simple. Punch the dirty mage! Or if you're really mad use a weapon! Either the victim or people helping the victim could do that.

However, once complete they will remember only what the Mental Mage wishes of their last hour of memories.

This right here is actually my favorite part because to me that makes it sound like I don't have to wipe /everything/. I could just get rid of certain details that I personally want gone. Such as someone's presence there or a specific thing that happened. 

Now lets compare that to the alternative. Death. 

With death not only do you forget everything but many times you lose your pixels too! So you die, character wake up in the Temple and you now have the fun of rping "uh oh why am I here?" 

Now instead say a mental mage actually managed to finish this delicate process. If the mage is creative then you don't have to have forgotten everything. You might just have forgotten details. Things like who was there, or something said, it varies depending on the mage and what they want. Plus you get to keep your pixels for sure! Well unless they robbed you too. Oh, and if I forget to add the very removal of the memory to the things I'm deleting? Well... That'd be an awkward confrontation for the mage.

You also need to remember, a mental mage can only use their magic on one person at a time. I would assume that this is going to be a very high level ability and thus not something that you could use repeatedly in that same hour. So I'd have to pick one target to wipe. That alone can limit when I use it because why make one person forget it others saw too? 

I'm going to say right now though that ooc consent shouldn't have to be a thing. I'm not making them lose their entire life like a golden apple does for example. Just details out of the past hour. I'd rather not have someone say no simply because they can and yes there will be people who do that. 

Backfiring could actually be rather funny but that means the mage would need to either take a huge risk, or more realistically will need to find people to practice on. Which I don't exactly agree with. This should be a rare tool, something the mage doesn't often pull out simply because there's already so many restrictions to when you can use it and if the process even goes though. If you need to practice to make sure it doesn't mess you up instead then that right there defeats the point of it being rare!

My character has been a mental mage for around 24 years in game. She started learning at the end of January and it's still not something she uses on a daily basis. Most commonly she uses it for fun and to keep herself from getting rusty. So while the magic may be viewed as op, which yeah finding out whatever you want from someone's head really is, it's still a rare gem. This would just be an even rarer part to it.

TLDR: Mental magic user and fan here, I like Jistuma's idea. It is balanced, going to be difficult to pull off, but can come in handy in very rare situations along with making interesting rp. Don't make it backfire because people will just use it more often which they shouldn't. And I'd say no to dying or other mages undoing it. If I've gone though this difficult process and someone then just asks their friend oocly to kill them so they remember? Not a happy mage... Plus figuring out which mage is 'stronger' can be iffy.