[✗] The Great Fire Rain Ballista

Kanrath

RP story-

Known only to a very few the first Fire Rain Ballista was actually developed for ship to ship and land to ship combat to be used on various ships sailed by the pirates *Ahem* I mean merchants of Cove Co. many many years ago. Created by an engineer who had worked for Alras during the days of the cannon the weapon took ideas from both cannons and ballista and combined them to create a weapon able to toss very large flaming arrows in groups between 4 to 12 depending on the weapon size up to 500 yards. Though the arrows launched are much larger then anything fired by mortal hands they do not carry the weight of ballista bolts as they are designed to fly much further and with greater accuracy. ((Some may remember seeing the model I had built on the Cove Co.'s island)). Development was not finished till the invention of fire works, at which point they were put to use as propulsion for the arrows being fired.

Information on Use- 

The current intended use of this weapon is deployment against large threats out at sea, such as the Destroyer. Depending on the number of firing slots of the Fire Rain Ballista being used each slot adds a firing cost of 1 gunpowder, 1 iron bar, 2 sticks, 1 feather, 1 string, making up the propulsion source, tip, arrow shaft, fletching and fuse. The fire work propulsion is located just below the arrow tip, along with at times the addition of an oil soaked cloth wrapped tightly to turn the arrow into a fire arrow ((add 1 wool to represent cost))  The high cost limits its use, and loading and firing it requires knowledge in gunpowder, trajectory calculation and siege weapon use.

OOC-

IG wise the weapon will look something like this (this is a Land to Sea version). Each hole in the stone face is a firing position and increases the cost to fire. It's possible to make it larger but doing so messes up the general aesthetic and I would only recommend doing so if its a land based version. Top picture is the firing side, bottom is the back and wagon hook up for a horse and the drivers seat.

0FUVh6Ll.png

QB5bdokl.png

((IG but OCC))

The current owner of the blueprints for it is Tenshar Karkun aka "The Wandering Scholar"

Pretty much, though its this size more so just for MC representation. The arrows it fires would be about the same size as a real hwacha fires though if you wanted to increase the cost of each arrow you might be able to fire small javelins/spears for larger nastier monsters depending on the et/gm/admin present. Smaller versions that only have 4-5 firing slots can be made, and even ones with just 1 slot or 2. If this approved I intend to then work to the Japanese Fire Arrow which is their single shot version of the Korean Hwacha and would be more effective for hunting on land things like the Wyvern.

This isn't something new, this has been around since Asulon. Always good to see technology rediscovered.

It was around back then? That's good to find out, I was not sure if anyone had ever put such a thing to use. Back when I built the test model on the Cove Co. Island no one ever mentioned such so I had assumed no nation had put such to use.

This is a rather nice idea. The cost of firing this is rather well put. 

I'm sorry, but this lore has been denied

The lore has been denied for a few reasons. Lore wise we are very careful with the usage of gunpowder to create weapons. Gunpowder is different in LotC then it is in the real world. LotC gunpowder is violently explosive, to the point that weapons created with it often end in the destruction of the weapon, not the target.

There are further issues that exist outside of lore as well, however. Proper mechanical representation for one, and balancing for two. This machine has the potential to be considered widely over powered.